Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?
  
 
BigBadWolfie
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Newbie question. I'm not a pro. I just registered two domains. I plan to use one as a personal blog and another to share and maybe in the future sell some of my photos. I've been looking at different host options. Hosting from SmugMug or Zenfolio seems like an easy option for my photosharing site but I'm not sure if it is a good option to host my blog. Hosting from Hostgator and installing something like Wordpress seems like an easy thing to do for my personal blog site but not so much a good site for my photo sharing site. The other option is to separate the hosting but at this point that seems like a waste of money for me as I'm not making money off my photos. I suppose I can also just have wordpress host my blog and go with SmugMug or Zenfolio for my photosharing site?

Any suggestions for a newbie?



May 23, 2012 at 01:04 PM
skasol
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Interesting I am looking for similar info


May 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM
killersnowman
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


i personally use zenfolio to host all my photos for sharing on various forums. there is a built in blog feature of zenfolio that i havent used yet, though i might with an upcoming project im working on.

http://www.fistfulofneurons.com/blog

squarespace is another option. great blog hosting and software. you can host your image elsewhere and then embed them into a squarespace site.



May 31, 2012 at 12:12 AM
skasol
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


killersnowman wrote:
i personally use zenfolio to host all my photos for sharing on various forums. there is a built in blog feature of zenfolio that i havent used yet, though i might with an upcoming project im working on.

http://www.fistfulofneurons.com/blog

squarespace is another option. great blog hosting and software. you can host your image elsewhere and then embed them into a squarespace site.


Do you use this for you clients to contact you and buying pics.



May 31, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Jamesbjenkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


I use Smugmug for my site, hosted with godaddy. Couldn't be happier. When you decide to go pro, their profit plan is the friendliest of the companies you listed as options. You set your own prices and keep 85% of the markup.

Zenfolio is good also, but the wild card in favor of SM is the community of members that backs them. Www.dgrin.com is a photography forum sponsored by smugmug. The people there are tremendously helpful with customization questions and everything else to do with photography. I practically taught myself web design with their help. I built my site from scratch myself: My website



May 31, 2012 at 09:26 PM
skasol
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Jamesbjenkins wrote:
I use Smugmug for my site, hosted with godaddy. Couldn't be happier. When you decide to go pro, their profit plan is the friendliest of the companies you listed as options. You set your own prices and keep 85% of the markup.

Zenfolio is good also, but the wild card in favor of SM is the community of members that backs them. Www.dgrin.com is a photography forum sponsored by smugmug. The people there are tremendously helpful with customization questions and everything else to do with photography. I practically taught myself web design with their help. I built my site from scratch
...Show more


Thinking about going that route as well. Starting with smugmug registering the domain and getting go daddy to host



Jun 01, 2012 at 01:54 AM
neuf_owner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


If you want a hosting provider I would pick Hostgator over GoDaddy any day. I have both (started on GoDaddy years ago), but I am unwinding that relationship. All of the spam and hard core sales that GoDaddy utilized gets really old after a while. Hostgator is run professionally and is what you would expect a hosting provider to be. Plus they run a standard control panel unlike GoDaddy.

I have had good experiences with Smugmug customer service as well, and I still maintain a basic hosting account there if I have something that will be a large volume thing that I won't be selling anything from (like a charity event where I am donating my time).

You can also use a purchased gallery like www.picturespro.com The advantage here is that it is a one time charge. You have to decide whether or not that makes it worth it. I got tired of paying a commission, but there are certainly pros and cons.

I purchased their gallery software about 2 weeks ago and so far I am impressed. I am working to integrate/link this into my Joomla based site. My first experience with their customer service was amazing. I had tried to install the gallery myself but ran into a hitch. I had allotted myself about an hour or so to figure out the install before I was going to punt and use their paid install service ($35 I think). I submitted a request for the install at about 1:30 on Saturday morning. When I got up at about 7:30 I noticed I had an email from them. Everything had been installed and tested. Amazing!

Good luck!



Jun 01, 2012 at 03:34 AM
terrat
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


If you are competent and organized and like wordpress try the DIY hosting,customer service, packager, and mailer service with your own domain and wordpress photo site with e-commerce. Offer either prints or even digital downloads using --ie) " Photocrati" extended with paypal and "paid downloads" a WP plugin.


Jun 01, 2012 at 03:36 AM
skasol
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


neuf_owner wrote:
If you want a hosting provider I would pick Hostgator over GoDaddy any day. I have both (started on GoDaddy years ago), but I am unwinding that relationship. All of the spam and hard core sales that GoDaddy utilized gets really old after a while. Hostgator is run professionally and is what you would expect a hosting provider to be. Plus they run a standard control panel unlike GoDaddy.

I have had good experiences with Smugmug customer service as well, and I still maintain a basic hosting account there if I have something that will be a large volume
...Show more

I found a Wordpress theme that I can purchased. What would be the best way to go about using that ?



Jun 01, 2012 at 06:11 AM
fastcarsspeed
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


I am a reseller with Hostgator and have been with them for 10 years and love their support. My sites are on hostgator and my photo hosting is on smugmug. You can set your blog up using wordpress very easily through hostgator and then create a subdomain that points to smugmug. example below.

http://www.syndicated-design.com
http://photos.syndicated-design.com



Jun 04, 2012 at 05:29 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Steve Wylie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


I've been happy with Zenfolio for many years. My site's primarily a place for families and other clients to purchase photos, rather than primarily a portfolio/advertising site. So I have about 37,000 photos in dozens of galleries (which I know is totally insane), but people occasionally go back into the past to get a photo of their kid dancing or whatever, so I don't take many galleries down. Zenfolio also has a blog feature (noted above), which I'm using a lot. I get all of this for about $120 per year. If you're interested in taking a look, it's www.stevewyliephotography.com.


Jun 06, 2012 at 04:27 AM
BigBadWolfie
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go with a hosting comapy + wordpress + gallery option first and see how it goes. I can always add SmugMug and Zenfolio later.


Jun 08, 2012 at 01:33 PM
skasol
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


BigBadWolfie wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go with a hosting comapy + wordpress + gallery option first and see how it goes. I can always add SmugMug and Zenfolio later.


That's what I was thinking. I went that smugmug route and now regret I should've gone the web hosting, Wordpress theme and gallery option instead.



Jun 08, 2012 at 01:41 PM
billkoe
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


I went with dogbark years ago and have never looked back. Impeccable service and very reasonable prices have kept me with them in spite of competition from all over the place. It's also home to a lot of fellow ASMP members.

They are Wordpress experts so if you need a little help getting your site set up this is the gang that will help you until you're happy.



Jun 08, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Sagar
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Check out http://new.squarespace.com/
I have seen quite a few photographers using them as one stop solution.



Jun 27, 2012 at 02:14 AM
markadams99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


I've been happy with Zenfolio Premium for a year (now $120). I especially like the built-in blog function. Previously I spent 100's hours customising Wordpress blogs, integrating SlideshowPro and other hands-on solutions, but that's been at the expense of image creation or book creation. Just customising the Zenfolio blog is enough. I'd like Zenfolio to enable n blogs within a site instead of just 1 integrated blog.

My Zenfolio blog: http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com/blog



Sep 01, 2012 at 08:00 PM
irish-george
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Tagging so I can find this thread again...
Thanks for all the info!



Mar 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM
ckh66
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


Also wanting to find in future ... Glad to see so much information.!


Mar 27, 2013 at 05:05 AM
markedman
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Host Options: Hostgator vs SmugMug, Zenfolio?


After you have registered a domain name you have lots of options. You can find a website host and design your own website which will take time. If you are just starting out and just want to sell photos online with minimal cost I suggest Backprint.com. I use them for photo sales. No fee, easy set up. great customer service along with superior print quality. Keep in mind that some of the places mentioned do not have phone support. A deal breaker for me. Might be the best way to" get your feet wet" and have an online presence.


Apr 29, 2013 at 04:59 PM





FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password