New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gear Dilemma

john tunney

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear Dilemma

I'm doing more and more real estate and architectural. I have 5D mk II and 24-105. I also do a fair amount of nature with a 100-400. For the RE/architecture, I need a wider angle so I was thinking of getting a 16-35. However, I was also thinking of getting a 60D or event T3i for nature because of the crop factor.

Here's the dilemma: Do I stick with full frame and get the 16-35 (or maybe the 17-40, but probably not) or for a price close to a 16-35 get a 60D/T3i and a 10-22?

Would a 60D/T3i and 10-22 be comparable quality-wise for RE/architecture to a 5dII with a 16-35?

Comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

May 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear Dilemma

Stay with full frame since you actually make money with it. The image quality you get with a cropped sensor will not be the same as the 5D2. You will not gain anything except for the extra time trying to fix the files.

May 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear Dilemma

Something to keep in mind when going wider than 24mm is anstigmatic distortion on the long dimension of the frame that stretches the content. It's the result of the corrective elements of the lens flattening the focal plane. The distortion and be worked around or used creatively for general photography but wouldn't be desirable for real estate or architectural shooting.

You might want to consider a tilt-shift lens instead, perhaps renting one and trying for a few days before buying.

May 19, 2012 at 01:18 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear Dilemma

I use both the 60D and 5DII. I would never trade the 5DII for the 60D + lens. Sure it takes good images but the high ISO is not even close to the 5D2 and images are not as good side by side. Most client would not know the diffference. Great as a backup. I am looking at a 17-40 after renting a 16-35. Think for the money it is all I need for room shots and use the extra to invest into other pieces that will help me with the pano photos like a pano head for the tripod. .

May 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
john tunney

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear Dilemma

Thanks for the input. I opted to stick with the 5DII and ordered a 17-40. Hey, if business picks up enough I may just get the 60D or 7D, too.

John

May 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.