Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Hi,

I see RRS has a new pocket size tripod, that works with a ballhead, the TFA-01. This in intriguing to me since it supposedly will support 100 pounds and works with a ballhead. Are there other similar tripods available?

Thanks,

Jerry

Here is the link to the TFA-01:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TFA-01&type=4&eq=&desc=TFA-01-Pocket-'Pod&key=it

May 18, 2012 at 08:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Kirk has one that i use. its now the only kirk item i have.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Mini-Table-Top-Tripod.html

May 18, 2012 at 08:17 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

The Kirk, in particular, is inspired by the Leica table tripod, which has been around in one version or other for several decades.

All of them should be good -- slight differences, but all very competent. Vastly better than goofy things like Ultrapods and Gorillapods (both of which have some utility as flash and P&S supports). Manfrotto also makes an inexpensive interpretation, which appears to be what RRS was building upon (and improving, I'm sure).

The Leica and Kirk versions are slightly bulkier, and have adjustable leg positions and a little more height. The RRS and Manfrotto are smaller, and have fixed leg positions. I've used the Leica for many years, and will do so for many more, God willing and the creek don't rise.

A BH-25 is perfect on any of them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/30592-REG/Leica_14100_Table_Tripod.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554004-REG/Manfrotto_209_209_Tabletop_Tripod_Legs.html

May 18, 2012 at 08:49 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

I use a BH-25 on a Manfrotto 209 tabletop tripod - works great with a 5D II and wide angle lens. And it's only $25.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554004-REG/Manfrotto_209_209_Tabletop_Tripod_Legs.html

Edited on May 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2012 at 08:59 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

I have one of the Berlebach Mini tripods. Probably a little bit larger than the other tripods here

May 18, 2012 at 09:50 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

I have a Berlebach, too -- it's pretty much ideal if you want to be able to use a full size head. Bulkier, but still very light, and the larger spread makes it more stable for macro, or a supertele on a car hood, etc. Good stuff.

I've posted this before, but hopefully it's useful for comparison:

http://www.phobject.com/img/s2/v4/p1050641313-4.jpg

May 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

That Berlebach looks cool if you need more support. Is this the one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655100-REG/Berlebach_BE50032_2_Section_Mini_Tripod_With.html

May 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

That's the version with a leveling platform, but you can also get it without. They've also got a slightly taller version now, which starts to become a more useful tag-along for hiking, etc. I think it's called a Maxi Mini, or something....

;- )

May 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=249

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=400

Yes but yours is with a Leveling Ball. Without it the price is much lower. They also have it in two lengths.
I have the Maxi version

May 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

I have the Manfrotto 209, the Berlebach mini and the RRS TP-243 Ground-Level Tripod. The 209 is not sturdy with a 5dMKII or 40D/7D on it. It is not the weight rating - its the small legs. The RRS new table tripod has an incredible 100lb rating - this is just a šjokeš in real life. I'm sure it is a really great table tripod (everything from RRS is of the highest quality) - but just 1,5 cm longer legs than the Manfrotto which makes them quite similar in my opinion. You might use them (Manfrotto or RRS table tripod) on a table in the house with a DSLR - but in the field, I will not recommend them with heavier cameras than a P&S. The Berlebach is just another story. Very sturdy with a DSLR. Highly recommended. By the way - the RRS TP-243 Ground-Level Tripod is highly recommended too for heavy load. Very nice tripod.

I would have hoped RRS could make the legs of the table tripod 3-5 cm longer. This would have added only a few gram but resulted in a much more sturdy tripod which occasional could hold a DSLR....,

Regards

Fjellfalck

May 18, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

The new Really Right Stuff TFA-01 table top tripod has adjustable friction on the leg angle, and is intended to work with one or more legs not fully tilted out. That feature is mentioned as best for smaller cameras. The independent leg tilt may add some help for setup outdoors on surfaces that are not level. Of course for large loads it is likely best used with the legs fully deployed.

I agree that the TFA_01 seems kind of small for some uses, so all we need to do is convince RRS that they need to make a bigger version that is still smaller than a ground tripod.

May 18, 2012 at 02:28 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Wow, looks like there are lot of options. I was looking at getting one of these smaller tripods as an option for some travel photography since they would be easier to pack and carry around. While the Berlebach is nice it seems kind of big for my use. Do you think the smaller tripods would work for night shots with a Canon 5D MK3 and a smaller lens such as 24-105?

May 18, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Any of them should work on a level surface. The Leica and Kirk will probably be a bit more stable than the RRS and Manfrotto on uneven surfaces, since you can adjust the leg spacing to get optimal footing. Doubly so for the Berlebach.

May 18, 2012 at 08:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

thats an interesting way of looking at things. being that neither the kirk or the Leica can be adjusted vertically on leg travel and the RRS can and then tightened down i'd put my money on the RRS being the more stable model in varying surfaces. the ability to spread over a circle is only somewhat advantageous. w/o vertically adjustable leg angles you start to lose on a non horizontal surface. the term "tabletop" holds more true for the both of them. the RRS is closer to the Berlebach in its basic design and function.

Edited on May 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

The RRS TP-243 is clearly modeled after wooden tripods like Berlebach -- but the little one just seems like a better made Manfrotto. No one has used one, so it's hard to say much decisively.

I do find that I adjust the leg positions on the Leica a fair amount in use -- not just to level it on the ground, but also when using it braced against a tree, or a building, or whatever. For me, the variable positions are a useful tool.

Any should be fine, as long as you have realistic expectations.

May 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

as to how its made-- i would hope that RRS would put a little more effort into it then manfrotto because at that the price it is it darn well better be. but the thats usually a given

all tools in the right hands and the knowledge of their use are useful tools

May 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

jerrykur wrote:
Hi,

I see RRS has a new pocket size tripod, that works with a ballhead, the TFA-01. This in intriguing to me since it supposedly will support 100 pounds and works with a ballhead. Are there other similar tripods available?

Thanks,

Jerry

Here is the link to the TFA-01:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TFA-01&type=4&eq=&desc=TFA-01-Pocket-'Pod&key=it

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but did you bought the TFA-01? I'm really interested in this tripod, but I'm not sure how I can adjust the legs to get a taller height. I don't want the legs to be fully splayed because the angle will be really low. I intend to combine this with my Canon G1X with RRS L-plate for food photography.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

I have one, keeping the legs adjusted to the higher end would require some modification. Otherwise they will move, regardless of how tight you have the screws. I will modify mine when time allows as it would be more useful to me. I believe it was intended to give usage of an attached ballhead with the legs splayed out.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

Taoguy wrote:
I have one, keeping the legs adjusted to the higher end would require some modification. Otherwise they will move, regardless of how tight you have the screws. I will modify mine when time allows as it would be more useful to me. I believe it was intended to give usage of an attached ballhead with the legs splayed out.

What kind of modification are you referring to?

I basically want the legs at an angle similar to a fully extended tripod like my Gitzo GT1542T.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:03 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · pocket size tripod for RSS Balhead?

bump!

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.