Upload & Sell: Off
| p.1 #10 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family? |
This one is SOOO easy now ... I am a Canon shooter/fan, too, a pro newspaper photojournalist, and a passionate whitewater kayaker and the new Olympus TG-1 simply blows all other waterproof/tough point 'n' shoots away.
I just got one about two weeks ago, almost immediately used it for a Whitewater Rescue Technician refresher class that I was taking. The camera performed superbly (for a compact, but also nearly as responsive as a mid-range DSLR) as a still shooter and pretty well for 1080P video, too (IS needs to be better, and it does little focus-check glitch-outs a bit too much sometimes, and the CODEC is inadequate for seriously heavy/fast movement).
What I like:
- very sharp and contrasty F2.0 25mm equiv. wide end of the zoom (far corners are a bit soft, but not bad)
- 5fps full res 12MP shooting for 30++ frames with one press of the button with a fast card (Extreme 32GB)
- fast AF and shutter release times
- waterproof/tough enough survive a fun swim in a juicy-flow 100yd Class III rapid, full day of going in and out of the swift-white water, full-contact rescue practice, vaulting over a cross-channel log and later flipping in a fast surf wave, etc.
- handy mode dial (but they should have M, Av, Tv on it!)
- good to great color rendition, better dynamic range and cleaner ISO 200++ than most compacts
- nice Macro modes, combines well with 5fps for handheld or windy conditions
- takes adapter for dedicated fish-eye and tele converters, filters
- still small enough to fit easily in my PFD's (life vest) mesh front pocket (with wrist strap augmented by a chunk of orange pool noodle as a float and a small carabiner)
- set one of the mode dial's C1 or C2 to a 100iso-always mode to get max image quality in brighter/other light, and and the other to Never Flash or Always Flash or whatever you find useful.
- turn image review off, motor drive to fast (but not the 30-60fps 3MP unless that is OK for you), and focus to Tracking or maybe Spot (not default ESP/ Face Detection) for fastest shooting
- PLEASE Ask Olympus to put M, Av, Tv on the TG-2!, not Magic, Scenes, etc. ... and RAW file format.
I looked a multiple Orig. File samples of it and all competitors in different places, videos too, and the Panasonic and Sony are maybe better for video, and the Canon does JPEG color fidelity a little better, and my older Pentaxs (W30 most recently) have served me well for stills, but the TG-1 is so damn fast/responsive/easy to shoot with and the results make me smile when I check them out in Photo Mech. and PS.