Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

kinetix
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

Looking for a waterproof/dropproof point and shoot for the kids and wife. Any recommendations? All of my gear is canon so I'd like to start there ; ).

May 17, 2012 at 02:58 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

My wife went thru several of them and had issues like water leakage, poor IQ, etc.

She ended up with the Sony model DSC-TX10. I have to agree that it is awesome. It rivals my s95 for 95% of the shots.

HTH

greg

May 17, 2012 at 04:05 AM
ryan21
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

Olympus makes an awesome line of tough P&S cams.

Their newest one is actually quite good. Click here for more info

May 17, 2012 at 07:39 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #4 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

For my high school classroom we have used the Fujifilm Finepix P&S cameras that are shockproof/waterproff/etc. I have 6 of the earlier models (Z33) and 2 newer models (XP ??). They have been through 3 years of classroom use and have held up very well (despite some occasional dropped cameras). We haven't tried them underwater, but they are used in damp conditions sometimes.

May 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #5 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

check out the latest G series (G12 i think) and get the waterproof case for it. Works awesomely!! Canon makes the case too.

Jun 09, 2012 at 06:02 PM
Canyonlands

p.1 #6 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I never stick to a camera brand between full sized and p&s unless it's for compatibility/interchangeable reasons. At B&H you can view only the p&s cameras that are waterproof and then sort by best reviewed.

The highest camera on their site sorted that way with over 10 reviews is the Nikon Coolpix AW100 which is waterproof and shockproof, with HD vid and GPS logging. Right under it is Canon's PowerShot D20 but the Nikon seams to be better featured, for less cash.

Disclaimer, as a pro, I've been shooting Nikon for over 10 years. That said, every P&S I've ever bought has been something other than Nikon. I may have a look at this Coolpix AW though because I'm just getting into sea kayaking and those features sound handy for that activity.

Jun 12, 2012 at 07:39 AM
EPat
• •
p.1 #7 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I have the Panasonic Lumix TS3, and frankly I hate it!

Its only really good for underwater video. If I don't need a flash or much stuff I seem to be using my Gopro for a lot of water stuff.

Jun 14, 2012 at 05:28 PM
Canyonlands

p.1 #8 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I love my GoPro cams for what they are designed for. They would totally suck at doing p&s duty for family photographs though.

Jun 15, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

EPat wrote:
I have the Panasonic Lumix TS3, and frankly I hate it!

Its only really good for underwater video. If I don't need a flash or much stuff I seem to be using my Gopro for a lot of water stuff.

I have the same camera and love it. It outperformed the other cameras I compared it to, and has worked out great for me.

Jun 28, 2012 at 05:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

shaunotter

p.1 #10 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

This one is SOOO easy now ... I am a Canon shooter/fan, too, a pro newspaper photojournalist, and a passionate whitewater kayaker and the new Olympus TG-1 simply blows all other waterproof/tough point 'n' shoots away.
I just got one about two weeks ago, almost immediately used it for a Whitewater Rescue Technician refresher class that I was taking. The camera performed superbly (for a compact, but also nearly as responsive as a mid-range DSLR) as a still shooter and pretty well for 1080P video, too (IS needs to be better, and it does little focus-check glitch-outs a bit too much sometimes, and the CODEC is inadequate for seriously heavy/fast movement).

What I like:

- very sharp and contrasty F2.0 25mm equiv. wide end of the zoom (far corners are a bit soft, but not bad)
- 5fps full res 12MP shooting for 30++ frames with one press of the button with a fast card (Extreme 32GB)
- fast AF and shutter release times
- waterproof/tough enough survive a fun swim in a juicy-flow 100yd Class III rapid, full day of going in and out of the swift-white water, full-contact rescue practice, vaulting over a cross-channel log and later flipping in a fast surf wave, etc.
- handy mode dial (but they should have M, Av, Tv on it!)
- good to great color rendition, better dynamic range and cleaner ISO 200++ than most compacts
- nice Macro modes, combines well with 5fps for handheld or windy conditions
- takes adapter for dedicated fish-eye and tele converters, filters
- still small enough to fit easily in my PFD's (life vest) mesh front pocket (with wrist strap augmented by a chunk of orange pool noodle as a float and a small carabiner)

Tips:

- set one of the mode dial's C1 or C2 to a 100iso-always mode to get max image quality in brighter/other light, and and the other to Never Flash or Always Flash or whatever you find useful.
- turn image review off, motor drive to fast (but not the 30-60fps 3MP unless that is OK for you), and focus to Tracking or maybe Spot (not default ESP/ Face Detection) for fastest shooting
- PLEASE Ask Olympus to put M, Av, Tv on the TG-2!, not Magic, Scenes, etc. ... and RAW file format.

I looked a multiple Orig. File samples of it and all competitors in different places, videos too, and the Panasonic and Sony are maybe better for video, and the Canon does JPEG color fidelity a little better, and my older Pentaxs (W30 most recently) have served me well for stills, but the TG-1 is so damn fast/responsive/easy to shoot with and the results make me smile when I check them out in Photo Mech. and PS.

Jul 05, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Ken Rutt
• •
p.1 #11 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I picked up the olympus TG-820 for 190.00 and am happy with it. Tubed down a river for 5 hours and let the kids play in the pool for an hour or two shooting stills and video and no leaking problems. Low light ability isn't too terrible but it's certainly not a dslr. I was kind of surprised that the fireworks scene setting turned out pretty decent pics

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:17 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I've had the Canon d20, Nikeon AW100, and now the TS4. the TS 4 is the best combination of pocketability, IQ and durability in my opinion. The new olympus is supposed to be great, but much more expensive.

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:31 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #13 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I have the Panasonic ts2(current model is the ts4) and really like it. Does great for video also. The line would be almost perfect if they put a better lcd on the back and if they gave a manual/shutter and aperture mode on it. The current model also has gps and a barometer/altimeter I believe.

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:37 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #14 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

Correct. TS4 has manual shutter and aperture (though aperture range is very limited), gps and an altimeter. I don't think it has a barometer...

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #15 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

I've used an S90 with a DP35 and now have a G10 with a DP28. I also have a Sony TX5, but I simply don't trust it underwater. I prefer to have a case around the camera, not have the case part of the camera.

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:44 AM
shaunotter

p.1 #16 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

My Oly TG-1 one has been, for the most part, awesome and so useful for me on, in, and around the wild rivers and beaches here on Cali's North Coast -- it did a great job on a Class V river raft trip recently (think 10' waterfall chutes, 8' high spitting waves and holes, a paddle hitting me in the gut, rafts flipping, etc.) both shooting and while riding in the mesh front pocket of my life vest. It was still functioning well even after the guide and I got washed out of the boat by one powerful hydraulic at the bottom of a big drop and swam in the frothy pool below briefly. On ONE battery, I took about 750+ full res stills and about 20 very short 1080P movies on that 4-hour trip ... WOW!!! Amazing!
It did fine on the beach later, a mellower sea kayak paddle the next week, and for camping and swimming, BUT ... On the latest whitewater run a week after that, fairly mellow Class IV in a hardshell kayak with one early flip in a rapid, it worked for half of the hour-long paddle except the zoom and playback buttons did not work for a while (30 minutes?, about 15 minutes after I put it in the sun on the riverside with those buttons facing up).
It is totally back to normal functioning now ... Pretty damn impressive, considering what I have put it through. I can't put cased/sleeved/housed cameras in my PFD (Personal Flotation Device, aka life vest) and they would be in the way on it or on my 8' long x 26" wide boat.
If it acts up again without major duty (more Class IV/V or rescue practice), I'll see how good the warranty is, and I forget if I bought B&H's extra warranty/? ...

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:09 PM
shaunotter

p.1 #17 · waterproof durable point & shoot for the family?

PS: My paddle buddy is OK for now with her more affordable and slower Panasonic TS-3 (older version of the 4) ... I haven't seen too much from it but images decent, about as good as my very good old Optio W30 if you were to make the same size prints from the higher-megapixel but not necessarily higher-res images.

Aug 02, 2012 at 12:00 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password