Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Pocket Wizard have announced a new firmware "rolling beta release" to provide compatibility with new Sekonic, Nikon, and Canon equipment. The 5D3 is, unfortunately, in the fourth tier of five expected firmware releases:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_events/news/firmware_release_plan/]
Prioritized rolling BETA release plan for MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 Firmware:

1) MiniTT1/FlexTT5 BETA firmware release:
Compatibility with Sekonic RT-32 CTL module

2) MiniTT1/FlexTT5 BETA firmware release:
Compatibility with the following NIKON gear:
1. Nikon SB-910 Speedlight
2. Nikon D4 camera
3. Nikon D800 camera
4. Nikon D800E camera*

* We intend to include all four new Nikon products into one beta release, however, if the NikonD800E camera proves difficult to reverse engineer, the D800E will be released as a separate beta once it is thoroughly engineered and tested. We do not want to hold off releasing beta firmware that supports the other new Nikon gear.

3) MiniTT1/FlexTT5 BETA firmware release:
Compatibility with the following CANON gear:
1. Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite**
2. Canon ST-E3-RT Commander**

4) MiniTT1/FlexTT5 BETA firmware release:
1. Canon 5D Mark III Camera**

5) MiniTT1/FlexTT5 BETA firmware release:
1. Canon 1D X Camera**

Now I'm not complaining. PW explain on that web page the reasons that reverse engineering takes time, and I'm sure they get no favors from Canon (or Nikon). This just makes it seemingly clear that full functioning of the Mini-Flex system with the 5D3 is not something we're likely to have in the next week or two. I've moderated my hopes in that regard (and of course, hopes aside, I would never count on any equipment until it is in my hands and has been tested by me).

May 13, 2012 at 04:25 AM
Rav13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

That's a shame, 5d3 at 4th and 1dx at 5th, two of the cameras I'll have soon. I've bought into the PW system and sold the 5D2s I guess I'll only be using them as triggers until the beta releases.

May 13, 2012 at 08:13 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #3 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Seems like I read somewhere in the Pocket Wizard literature you were not supposed to use the TT5 in dumb trigger mode on cameras that could do TTL? Seemed a little strange at the time - dumb trigger mode should work on any current Canon DSLR?

May 13, 2012 at 09:35 PM
kardy

p.1 #4 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Get a Phottix Odin, it does TTL w/ 5D3 right now, and does it well.

May 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Canon update will take a backseat since the new RT system has taken PW lunch .

May 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

kewlcanon wrote:
Canon update will take a backseat since the new RT system has taken PW lunch .

With non-Canon strobs too?

May 14, 2012 at 03:28 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Only lunch not dinner yet .

cordellwillis wrote:
With non-Canon strobs too?

May 14, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

kewlcanon wrote:
Only lunch not dinner yet .

Yeah, good point kewlcanon. The new Canon 600RT seems like a great, reliable system (for a substantial investment), but if one uses the PW system (including the AC3 group controller) with studio lights as well as shoe mount strobes in the field...well it's kinda like a long hungry night waiting for break-fast.

May 14, 2012 at 04:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joosay
• • •
p.1 #9 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Sigh, I am waiting for this firmware update...

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #10 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Where are we at in the cycle? #1?

Jun 16, 2012 at 02:14 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #11 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Beta version is out:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/support/downloads/beta

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Thanks for updating the thread, kewlcanon. I mentioned the beta in a post in the Lighting forum, but completely forgot about the thread here. I've installed the fw, and will check it out later today.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

...and the new beta firmware does not work for me. The 5DIII only fires lights a small proportion of the time. This is the case either using AC9 units to trigger Paul Buff monolights or using 550EX units on TT5. Before the firmware installation, both setups worked fine with a 5DII. We're not there yet.
Just to be clear, all testing was done with fully charged batteries, distances were small, there were no sources of interference, and I followed the recommended sequence of turning on the various units.

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:47 AM
ubersoldat

p.1 #14 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Beta not working fot me also.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:44 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · PW FW for MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 with 5D3

Photon wrote:
...and the new beta firmware does not work for me. The 5DIII only fires lights a small proportion of the time. This is the case either using AC9 units to trigger Paul Buff monolights or using 550EX units on TT5. Before the firmware installation, both setups worked fine with a 5DII. We're not there yet.
Just to be clear, all testing was done with fully charged batteries, distances were small, there were no sources of interference, and I followed the recommended sequence of turning on the various units.

It won't help if I just say beta 6.153 is working fine on my 5D3, but since my setup is almost identical to yours, (TT1, (4) TT5's, (4) 550EX's, AC3, (4) AC9's, (4) Buff WL Ultras), I'll try to offer up a few additional things that might be worth trying...

When you installed the beta, after the utility did the reset, did you choose to import previous settings, or just start from scratch?

FWIW, I just started with the reset defaults and then configured C1 for my 1D3 and C2 as Auto for 5D3, 7D, and T1i. C1 I set the Hypersync/HSS transition at 1/500. C2 I set the Hypersync/HSS transition to Auto.

Make sure 5D3 is showing up as an option for the camera model. Try it both explicity as 5D3 and by trying Auto. Try both C1 and C2. Again, make sure whatever settings you configure are the same on the transmitter and all receivers.

Make sure you click the "Apply" button. And then wait several seconds for your PC to make the USB disconnect/reconnect sounds before disconnecting your TT1/TT5 and moving on tho the next one.

I was also very sure that all 5 devices were configured with the exact same settings.

Hundreds of shots so far. Not a single miss. I didn't even use fresh batteries.

FWIW, my power up sequence was 550EX, TT5, TT1, 5D3. Test shot to sync the transmitter and receiver. Then everything was good to go.

As I was going through and testing the adjustable settings, the shutter curtain was very predictable and consistent... I was able to get clean 1/250 xsync with the 5D3 and a very slight bottom curtain at 1/320.

Sep 07, 2012 at 01:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password