Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

RoyC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

surgeon1 wrote:

One learns things from paying attention to what questions are asked by various individuals, as well as, what answers one receives.

Think about this a bit and then ask yourself if it truly Never Hurts To Ask?

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

AMaji wrote:
I think you should send all the NPS D800 buyers (from B&H obviously) at least a mug just as B&H did for Greta. Most, if not all, of those NPS members have spent many thousands with B&H over the years and they surely will appreciate a mug
I have to tell you, I really appreciate you answering to the different posts.

Thank you. I think Greta got the last pair of mugs and considering the brouhaha over NPS members getting first dibs on the D800, I think if we sent NPS members a mug too we'd be vilified.

honorerdieu wrote:
For them, it's not favoritism but purely done so for marketing reasons to sustain their business model. The D800 is obviously one of the hottest items on the market this year. It would be an opportunity wasted not to capitalize on the opportunity to give Greta a D800 for maximum exposure. Is it right or wrong? It's neither... this is purely business.

I recall Pierre Trudeau toured Nikon in Japan with his wife, Margaret, while he was PM. She styled herself a photographer and Nikon gave her a very nice F2 + lenses + accessories system as a gift. It was widely reported in the newspapers and photo-oriented publications like PopPhoto. I recall being very jealous she got all this stuff free and had newer stuff than I was using to make my meager living.

James R wrote:
I think B&H customers would feel better about the wait if they knew the current earliest pre-order date. It would also cut the number of telephone calls asking where a person is on "the list."

In all honesty I do not think there's anything I could say here, or in dpreview, etc., which would reduce the volume of calls, emails, and online comments by an iota.

surgeon1 wrote:
My questions to Mr. Posner- Just exactly how many D800 's has B&H received from Nikon and how many have been shipped to customers? How many customers are on the wait list for the D800?
Thanks for responding to questions on the forum,

You're welcome. I presume these questions are rhetorical since I presume you know we cannot and will not supply this information publicly.

arbitrage wrote:
Sounds like Nikon may be even more secretive than Canon was in telling retailers about upcoming shipment allotments...

If silence is golden, Nikon USA is 24 karat. In http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41140764 a former Nikon sales rep details the level of secrecy both Nikon employees and authorized retailers labor under.

RoyC wrote:
I doubt that B&H will share what they would/should view as business secrets with us...How many of those pre-orders were duplicates, triplicates or worse? How in the world do you (B&H) determine what percentage of the pre-orders were made by people that had no intention of paying for them?

Your doubt is well founded. There is stuff Macy's will not tell Gimbels, with good reason. We have limits in place on the number of D800 cameras we'll sell to any individual customer and safeguards designed to deter or prevent customers from getting around these limits. Since a customer placing a pre-order has to provide payment (even if there's no transfer of money to us) we presume a pre-order indicates sincerity and an intention to buy the camera as soon as it becomes available.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I think it's clear that vendors like B&H are at the mercy of Nikon USA in regards to knowing when and how many D800 bodies they will receive, so you can't really fault B&H for not providing more information. In fact it's commendable that they're not trying to appease customers and keep pre-orders by quoting unfounded delivery date guesses.

If there is any fault it's that B&H accepted what appears to be unlimited pre-orders for a body that it knew it was unlikely to deliver in the time frames customers were probably expecting. And I'm not even sure you could fault them for that because the alternative would be to shut down pre-orders after some quantity but without any guidance from Nikon USA it would be hard to know what the quantity is.

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:06 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I placed a D800 order at B&H last week and am using NPS. Do we know if NPS orders are still coming straight from NPS? Will I get a shipping notice? Should I expect that from B&H or NPS?

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:10 PM
surgeon1
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

RoyC wrote:
One learns things from paying attention to what questions are asked by various individuals, as well as, what answers one receives.

Think about this a bit and then ask yourself if it truly Never Hurts To Ask?

HUH?

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:23 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Thanks for the information Henry!

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

brett maxwell wrote:
I placed a D800 order at B&H last week and am using NPS. Do we know if NPS orders are still coming straight from NPS? Will I get a shipping notice? Should I expect that from B&H or NPS?

NPS orders are shipped from Nikon USA, not from B&H. I am not certain if Nikon USA sends shipping notices.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:41 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Surgeon1,

A favorite saying of one of my old college professors.

"It is better to keep one's mouth closed and let others wonder if you are an idiot, rather than open one's month and remove all doubt."

Apr 24, 2012 at 01:41 PM
surgeon1
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

RoyC,

Interesting. A favorite saying of one of my old professors is " Scientists say the Universe is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. They forgot to mention morons."

Advice- Try not to hijack someone's thread!

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:16 PM
iammikie
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

henryp wrote:
NPS orders are shipped from Nikon USA, not from B&H. I am not certain if Nikon USA sends shipping notices.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

In reading the NPS priority purchase instructions, I was under the impression that NPS sends the item to the Dealer and the Dealer sends it to the Customer. It was always that way in the past with my NPS purchases, however have not ordered through NPS in a while so I am not up on what their policy is now.

"4. NPS will ship your dealer the requested item based on the date we receive your priority request. Once shipped, the dealer owns the equipment, and we have no control over final delivery to the customer.

We do note the NPS member name on the packing slip. We find most dealers honor the NPS priority system. In addition, dealers receive regular allocations, so please check with your dealer for product availability."

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:38 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

iammikie wrote:
"4. NPS will ship your dealer the requested item based on the date we receive your priority request. Once shipped, the dealer owns the equipment, and we have no control over final delivery to the customer."

For reasons of their own, Nikon USA has decided to handle D800/D800E/D4 NPS orders differently and are shipping them directly to customers.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:52 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

NOO shortage on ebay!

Apr 24, 2012 at 02:59 PM
BrianJarvis
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I continue to hedge my bets, I place another pre-order at one of my local B&Ms, in addition to my pre-orders at Adorama and B&H. We'll see who contacts me first and gets my money. My B&M just got in 50 and burned about 3/4 of their backlog. If they get another shipment like that I'm in like Flynn! I'm trying to get one in my hands by mid June.

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:22 PM
domdog31
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

henryp wrote:
For reasons of their own, Nikon USA has decided to handle D800/D800E/D4 NPS orders differently and are shipping them directly to customers.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Thats not entirely true. My NPS orders were shipped to my local B&M - both the D800 and D800E I got through them. Perhaps B&H is different?

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:28 PM
BrianJarvis
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Same is true for my local B&M, they distributed the NPS orders based on the NPS pre-order list they held

Apr 24, 2012 at 03:48 PM
surgeon1
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

It looks like one FMer is getting his D800 tomorrow from B&H. Hopefully more to be shipped!

David

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I got an email from NPS today and they're shipping mine to B&H, so they must be treating the second wave differently.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Garrick L
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

I'm sure more will be on the way very soon folks. I was frustrated the same as everyone else, but the situation is what it it is and B&H has been truthful to us all along and their customer service is still just as good as it has always been. An example I would like to share is the fact that I ordered the 14-24 f2.8 and the 24-70 f2.8 before receiving my D800 because I had a suspicion that these pro lenses would be scarce once the D800 started shipping. My latest experience with B&H was the fact that I hadn't received my D800 and the two expensive pro lenses have been in my possession and the 30 day return policy had run out prior to my testing them on the D800. Well, I privately emailed Henry Posner with my concern just the other day sharing this and he replied back saying that he had my return policy extended by another 30 days and that if I didn't receive my camera in that time, which he also stated could be likely, to let him know. Now, fast forward to today and I receive notice that my D800 has shipped. This my fellow photographers is a testimony to Henry and B&H's commitment to customer service and that Henry has been telling us all along exactly what he does and does not know regarding Nikon USA. I know it's frustrating to those of you that haven't got your shipping notice yet, but patience will pay off for you, I know it will

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Garrick L wrote:
This my fellow photographers is a testimony to Henry and B&H's commitment to customer service and that Henry has been telling us all along exactly what he does and does not know regarding Nikon USA. I know it's frustrating to those of you that haven't got your shipping notice yet, but patience will pay off for you, I know it will :)

Thank you. This is very gratifying and I am quite glad to know you're so satisfied.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 26, 2012 at 09:24 AM
surgeon1
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Has anyone received D800 from B&H yet?

Garrick L wrote:
I'm sure more will be on the way very soon folks. I was frustrated the same as everyone else, but the situation is what it it is and B&H has been truthful to us all along and their customer service is still just as good as it has always been. An example I would like to share is the fact that I ordered the 14-24 f2.8 and the 24-70 f2.8 before receiving my D800 because I had a suspicion that these pro lenses would be scarce once the D800 started shipping. My latest experience with B&H was the fact
...Show more

I agree. B&H is the best. Great customer service! Just be patient.

Apr 26, 2012 at 01:04 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.