New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My freaking hand hurts

Micah25

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My freaking hand hurts

After shooting a conference for two days, my hand is killing me. Shooting with D700 w/battery grip, SB800, 24-70 and black rapid strap. Man that's a heavy combo. I'm no wimp but after two 12 hr days my hand needs some serious rest. I finally took off the battery grip to loose the extra weight. I wonder if an old fashion camera strap around the neck would have been better? Does your hand freaking hurt?

--Micah

Apr 14, 2012 at 02:59 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My freaking hand hurts

I've gotten tired out after a long day-usually with a 70-200 2.8 attatched. I usually notice it first on my trigger finger during sporting events and have switched to my middle finger to let my pointer rest. Modern cameras and fast lenses do get heavy.

Apr 14, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My freaking hand hurts

With the D700 the angle of the shutter release stresses my hand, I believe this has been changed on the D800. Usually though, it's my thumb that aches from holding it with one hand bring it up to my eye many many times over.

Could you switch to one or two primes instead of the 24-70?

Apr 14, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My freaking hand hurts

I've found the BR strap to be more comfortable, especially with heavier cameras.

Apr 14, 2012 at 03:45 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My freaking hand hurts

Yes!
Event and wedding photography puts a great deal of stress on me because of the weight of gear and the duration of the events.

I used to use 1D class cameras and switched to 5Ds without grips because of the strain on my hands. Though better, the combo of body, lens (especially 70-200 2.8) and flash will still cripple me after a long day.
It is for this reason that I am researching the Olympus OMD system.

I like the small form and the promise of lighter weight lenses. The bonus of near silent operation. The lens selection is not quite what I would like yet but it comes closest so far.

I have very little patience any more for long days with heavy gear that no longer needs to be heavy.

Apr 14, 2012 at 06:50 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My freaking hand hurts

Micah, I'm not in the medical field, but I do represent one of those people with hand pain...

Can you be more specific about how it hurts, and where? The hands and fingers are beautifully complex things where two millimeters of distance/alignment can make a world of difference in your ability to do things - or be precluded from doing them without discomfort.

Maybe it's a specific thing that you are doing, or failing to do, that is aggravating the situation. Tell us.

Apr 16, 2012 at 08:14 PM
Micah25

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My freaking hand hurts

It's my right hand pinky, ring finger and middle finger. Also the palm of hand below fingers. If I use both hands to pick up camera, this defeats the purpose of the BR strap. (or it will be a new dance move) At the end of day 2, I found myself holding the camera at my chest(resting on sling shot bag), like the army gun straps for quick aim and shoot. It's been a few days and it's getting better. If every shot lasted 12 hrs and were three days long, my hand would fall off. BR is great for me when I'm on location and moving lights. I just think I need a new system for super long days. Heck, maybe I'll switch to using my i-phone for all shoots, it's in now...--Micah

Apr 17, 2012 at 08:28 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My freaking hand hurts

Does it tingle (nerves) or do your fingers ache (perhaps tendons)? If I get too heavy on the single right hand manipulations of a camera body + f/2.8 zoom, you can bet my fingers/tendons feel it that evening.

Apr 17, 2012 at 08:01 PM
kdlanejr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My freaking hand hurts

Interesting. I take that most of you that have posted in this thread so far are carrying the camera on your right side using a rapid strap.

I carry my camera rig, 1 series body on a custom bracket, on my left side and don't have an issue with hand pain. I do experience fatigue late during an event, but nothing that keeps me from shooting or causes pain.

Currently I carry a second body on a neck/shoulder strap, but I've been considering picking up a DR-1 double strap.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My freaking hand hurts

Google ulnar neuropathy and see if your symptoms fit. If so, consider seeing an orthopedist who specializes in elbows.

Apr 18, 2012 at 08:58 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My freaking hand hurts

I use a Spider Holster to hang my camera between shots. That helps a lot.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
teebat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My freaking hand hurts

uscmatt99 wrote:
Google ulnar neuropathy and see if your symptoms fit. If so, consider seeing an orthopedist who specializes in elbows.

I had to get the procedure.It hasn't worked out for me very well.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My freaking hand hurts

teebat wrote:
I had to get the procedure.It hasn't worked out for me very well.

Nor for my wife. She had the ulnar nerve in her right elbow moved and she still has residual numbness 7 years later.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My freaking hand hurts

Micah25 wrote:
It's my right hand pinky, ring finger and middle finger. Also the palm of hand below fingers.

Read a lot of people can have this issue, and even had it myself. Really, the correct way to hold the camera is to have your left hand support the camera's weight while you mess with the controls, shutter, and balancing with the right. I was subconsciously holding almost all the weight with my right hand when I first started out with DSLRs, and it hurt after a while in the same places, plus my wrist.

Holding the camera the correct way solved this problem. Also, between shots, I'll hold the camera by the lens near the mount, which uses mostly my thumb, index finger, and upper palm. This lets the other half of my hand rest. Even though they don't hurt anymore, those parts will still get fatigued after a while if you're constantly using them.

I'd seriously consider not using camera with the strap single handedly, since the technique is hurting your hand. Either that, or maybe get one of those hand straps that keeps your hand pressed to the camera:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411mXfJNGlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That way, you don't need as serious a grip on the camera as you pull it up and when you carry it (really don't need much of a grip at all).

Apr 26, 2012 at 06:00 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My freaking hand hurts

I use a neoprene camera strap and use it to rest the weight and relax my arms and hands. I use a battery pack that can clip to my belt for long sessions. I also use a DX camera without a battery pack and without a flash so as to give myself a break from the weight of the FX camera with its speedlight. I also switched to a one pound lighter Custom Brackets model flash bracket.

I use the FX with the 24-70mm when it is going to add value and use the D300 with a 17-55mm or a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 zooms when it is not so as to be carrying less weight and less bulk. Compare the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 to the Canon or Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 or the Nikon or Caon 10-24mm zooms for crop cameras to the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8.

Often I will use the 16mm f2.8 fisheye on a crop camera (without the battery pack) as my ultra wide angle and ultra light setup. This lens on a D300 with no flash is very effective and produces excellent images that are rectilinear and do not need to be defished.

Apr 30, 2012 at 04:28 PM
indiginess

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My freaking hand hurts

my advice is probably well below what you have received already...

but if you continue to use the wrist strap, I might look into a wrist brace to help take the pressure of your hand-balance. Weight-lifter wrist straps are available that don't impede hand movement yet strengthen the hand grip. the ones with no hand components (they look like fat bracelets... Valeo makes one) are great for minimizing hand fatigue, short-term, IME.

Please, you medical sorts can back/disclaim this at will... but it seems that for intermittent fatigue pain, going to the backed-up wrist muscles (slightly larger) might do the trick. the wrist brace gives you a nice boost to hand-held sturdiness when tired, too. I carry one in my bag, though I don't use it much (yet).

if you are feeling tingling... nevermind. seek a professional.

May 04, 2012 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.