Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

How 'bout some spare F-15 parts?

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM
glee719
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

I'd definitely go for SCUBA store. You can get 5 lb lead shots in a bag for ~ $15, which sounds like a good deal based on prices others posted. Lead shots for SCUBA

Apr 25, 2012 at 09:59 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

I too use pea gravel.

May 02, 2012 at 07:01 PM
400d
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

Price vs. mass, lead is very tough to beat, as mentioned before, ebay is a great place to look for lead ingots, if you can get as close to $1/lb, it's a good deal. I bought #8 lead shots from midwayusa before and it's much more expensive than used ingots.

Jun 25, 2012 at 09:07 AM
erichard
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

I like the pennies idea, which wins the originality award on this thread, but I recently recalled having old, heavy chains in a bucket in my garage that I hadn't used in years. I put them in freezer baggies because they were somewhat rusty, and stuffed them in the weight bags after this. I imagine lead is going to be heavier, but things like this kill two birds with one stone: someplace to put/store pennies and in this case unused chains. It beats throwing them out if you're cheap like me (put the hoarder inside you to use). I think the bags are good for a baseline counterweight, and then one of those orange clamp on weights from Manfrotto are nice to fine tune the balance if you extend the boom out or add/subtract weight on the end due to different modifiers, etc. The whole process gets somewhat precarious otherwise, especially if you are handling largish modifiers with counterweights by yourself.

(rereading the original post, I guess OP already considered chain and is not exactly talking about a boomed studio set up, but it's a good topic to brainstorm on in general regardless.)

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Lloyd Grace

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

I went to Home Depot at the end of summer when they were closing out the outdoor section. I got 5 bags of pea gravel that were all ripped open w/some contents lost for $2.50. Took it home & washed it - it works great.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

lots of great ideas here

some things I use regularly that are already around the house - roller skates (ours are quite heavy) wrapping the laces or the carrying bag which is very similar to some of the camera weight bags around light stand, etc. and of course ankle weights.

I have dumb bells, but have not figured out what I might put them in to wrap them around light poles. I just thought about one thing I might be able to rig up, I have some jeans that have gotten holes in them, so maybe I might cut the legs off of them and sew the ends shut to form long pockets to insert them in.

Jun 26, 2012 at 07:57 PM
neuf_owner
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What to fill light stand sandbag with??

I have used RotoMetals recovered lead shot before with good results. This is shot that has been swept up or otherwise recovered. It will have a small amount of foreign material (not much), and is inconsistent in size, so therefore is only good for weight. If you buy 50 lbs the shipping is free. That is enough for 2 shot bags unless you need them really heavy. There are probably other companies as well, but I have personally used this one.

Here is a link:

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lead_shot_reclaim_clean.htm

Thanks,
Gene

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.