FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       9       end

Archive 2012 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

cineski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I just looked at my 5D3's top lcd screen. I got it in the very first batch and the top lcd cover is very stiff. I have to admit, if my replacement has a flexible top lcd protector it'll go back again.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

AGeoJO wrote:
You have to push the shutter button to get the exposure and you compose your image. At the same time (depending on how you setup the camera), you get the AF point lit up and you are free to recompose or change the AF point depending on your need with a lit AF point. If your target is too dark and there is not enough contrast, then the AF will have a tough time. But why do you want to focus on that target anyway. You are an accomplished photographer and I saw your pictures. I respect you opinion if
...Show more

I am not sure I follow you...You don't expose or compose a picture by pressing the shutter button...

If you have the camera, just go outside right now and take some shots in 1-shot mode then go to your house where it's somewhat dark and take a few more and you'll see the points I am trying to make. You said it yourself,you only shoot in AI Servo(I am assuming you only do sports since Servo for stationary object is a good away to have more oof shots,since the camera is constantly "searching") So if you'll switch to one-shot,you'll see the issues. You don't experience the issues because you only shoot in very limited perfect conditions. Many of us don't have that privilege.

Also, on your question on why do I shoot in dark areas...well...I don't know how to answer that. It's not my fault some objects are dark... Some people have dark skin...Receptions halls are dark,lots of dark clothing out there.

And Yes, 5D III has an amazing AF precision...if I could only see where I am focusing!

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:06 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

As I received my 5D III only two days before a major photo trip to Patagonia, I took my 5D II as backup. I could have saved myself the weight and bulk. The new cam performed without a glitch. I have yet to see my shots on screen, but what the LCD shows is very promising. And thanks to the new AF confirm,my keeper rate with my MF primes has simply surged, especially in difficult shooting conditions. And, as I took some shots with 5D II as well, I will have a yardstick to go by. So this rumour of a possible recall doesn't lose me any sleep.

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:15 PM
cheem
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

RCicala wrote:
I actually sent some people back to the dock and unpacked 4 older copies of the 5D III (we didn't have any older copies on the shelf) of the 4 two had the 'flexible' LCD covers and two the stiff, so this may just be random supplier variation.

I got my 5D3 in a kit in Canada on launch day, Mar 22nd and it has the flexible LCD screen protector on top. I discovered it when applying a cut to size Optex screen protector and the letters 'blacked' out. I thought it was a bit flimsy to tell you the truth.

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:18 PM
LanceF

p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

cheem wrote:
I got my 5D3 in a kit in Canada on launch day, Mar 22nd and it has the flexible LCD screen protector on top. I discovered it when applying a cut to size Optex screen protector and the letters 'blacked' out. I thought it was a bit flimsy to tell you the truth.

I received my screen protector yesterday, April 12'th, and when I was putting it on I too pushed it a little hard and the whole screen blacked it. It took about 1 for most of it to come back to clear and then 1 little spot right in the middle took almost 2 minutes for it to come back to 100% clear.

I assume mine was a first batch in Canada (March 23, the Friday) from Henry's.

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:41 PM
cheem
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

LanceF wrote:
I assume mine was a first batch in Canada (March 23, the Friday) from Henry's.

Mine was from Henry's in downtown Toronto.

Apr 13, 2012 at 02:40 PM
pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I wish so bad they did fix it!!!!

dsouzl wrote:
I couldn't agree more Dimitri.

I've shot 2 weddings with my 5D3's and have lost a few shots because the focus point wasn't where I thought it was. The only work around is to press the focus point select button to get them all to light up...and then take the shot.

This wasn't an issue with the MkII's so I'm sure a firmware fix will be along shortly.

Apr 13, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

DmitriM wrote:
1. Can't see the black focusing point at night.
2. Can't see red AF confirmation during the day
...A lot of hassle to shoot with the cameras.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to switch back to mII's...AF is just way too good,but just thinking about having to live with these issues for the next 4-5 years make me cringe

I have to agree completely with this. It worries me that only a hardware change could give the system we used to have, where whenever metering is active, the active AF points are illuminated in red, even in servo, as long as they have been manually selected. The black squares and dots disappear in far too many scenes, and any workarounds of pressing extra buttons will not help when it really matters, when things happen fast.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
No , I bet its to redesign the bottom to fit the new RRS Plates

Actually I thought the plate was designed by looking at the 5D3 brochure . JK, RRS is a fine company.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:38 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Photon wrote:
I have to agree completely with this. It worries me that only a hardware change could give the system we used to have, where whenever metering is active, the active AF points are illuminated in red, even in servo, as long as they have been manually selected. The black squares and dots disappear in far too many scenes, and any workarounds of pressing extra buttons will not help when it really matters, when things happen fast.

I'd like to understand why they change something that did not need fixing just to bugger it up? I manage engineers and there is a huge tendency to continually change things, even if change is not required.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:55 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7&WT.mc_id=C126149

I wonder if they'll quietly address the AF point illumination/non illumination frustrations of current users. Out of everything mentioned, that's what concerns me the most. I shoot weddings and bar mitzvahs and moments happen fast. I need to know that the AF point is exactly where I intended it to be when I fire the shutter in low light and bright light. No time for doubt and second checks when the moment is fleeting.

Apr 13, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

chez wrote:
I'd like to understand why they change something that did not need fixing just to bugger it up? I manage engineers and there is a huge tendency to continually change things, even if change is not required.

I face the same issue. Change for the sake of change. Even if it's not required or desired. If it ain't broke, it ought not to be fixed.

I'm not saying that I don't like improvements - obviously, the new AF in the 5D3 is awesome compared to the 5D2 (which I've defended at times). That represents an awesome functional improvement.

Apr 13, 2012 at 08:50 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

WilliamG wrote:
I've never, ever liked that comparison. According to that logic, we should never be able to complain about anything because someone, somewhere, is struggling. Madness.

It's not about complaining, its about taking it to a level that just isn't appropriate for what it is.

Apr 14, 2012 at 07:00 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

So since we've gotten back onto the AF point illumination issue I will again try to explain to everyone why Canon has this system and some suggestions for people to try for the time being until Canon can make some changes.

The system was introduced in the 7D back in 2009. The difference in this system compared to the system in the previous cameras is that in the older cameras the LED squares are permanently on the screen and therefore can light up individually and very brightly and can be seen in daylight and of course in darkness. The new system was designed to be able to show more things on the screen but to do this the entire screen is like an LCD that can draw characters (black boxes, grid lines, leveling thingy) onto the screen. However, in order to light this they had to do a side illumination from a red LED which is why the red light is diffuse and you notice a red glow across the whole screen.

If people had been this vocal about the system over the last 3 years then Canon may have reconsidered going this route for all their cameras. However, I have not read anything about people complaining with the 7D so I guess because more people were using the 7D outdoors for action and less for weddings and indoors stuff, people didn't have a problem with the new type of system.

With all that said I don't think anyone can realistically expect Canon to recall these cameras and refit some old type display and therefore have to reconfigure the entire firmware to remove the gridlines and the level gauge etc. What we could realistically expect is some tweeks to the firmware so that the points light at different times than they currently do now. I would propose to Canon (and I encourage all those who are having issues to write to Canon) that having the active point light up and stay lit during metering and focusing would be beneficial. That seems like it would solve most people's problems. Things that won't ever be fixed (and therefore considering a different camera has to be entertained if one of these are a major problem for you) are the red glow from the lens and the inability to see red in bright conditions (too much light entering the VF doesn't allow the red to be seen).

As for now, the best workaround are to make sure you have remapped the AF selection to the joystick. This is to easily move around the AF point and it will flash red each time it moves, also a single direct push resets the point to the center point or can be programmed to reset to any predetermined point instead. The other is to use the AF Selection button (the one next to the * button) to illuminate all the points. These two things plus the fact that it will flash once it focuses should get you through most shoots.

A lot of rammbling but hope it helps and I do hope Canon can at least give us the red light during metering or prefocusing in firmware. But anything else is a pipe dream.

Apr 14, 2012 at 07:32 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

It's quality control Jim, but not as we know, not as we know it.

A heartfelt condolence goes out to the brave beta testers that volunteer for Canon.

I'm definitely sticking to a 6-12 month timeline now.

Apr 14, 2012 at 07:32 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Pixel Perfect wrote:
It's quality control Jim, but not as we know, not as we know it.

A heartfelt condolence goes out to the brave beta testers that volunteer for Canon.

I'm definitely sticking to a 6-12 month timeline now.

I understand wanting to wait if you shoot professionally but for me, why not try it out. So far it is the best camera I've used. My 5D2 is now my second body and my 7D cries every night because it feels neglected!! By the end of 2012 I will get a 1D4 to shoot along side the 5D3 and should then be able to get rid of the other two cameras. So far I haven't been shooting with the lenscap on and I've been used to the AF lighting since using the 7D for the last 2 years. Therefore, I don't feel like a beta tester at all. YMMV.

Apr 14, 2012 at 07:40 AM
Rob_O
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

FWiW, I'm just back from two weeks shooting in the Algarve (and elsewhere in Portugal) where my 5D3 performed flawlessly over 1700 clicks using 16-35 f/2.8L II and kit 24-105 f/4L IS, as well as a few with 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS. Travel photos, long exposures using Big Stopper (and 5D2 RRS plate for tripod mounting, in lieu of 5D3 plate), action shots, portraits, and a range of conditions. Not a single error, no lockups, no hot pixels, etc. I reviewed each days shots on my iPad 2 and quite happy with what I was seeing. I'm now halfway through initial processing of RAW files in LR4.1 RC and the quality is outstanding.

My camera was sourced via pre-order from Calumet, arriving as stock around March 21-23 and delivered to me 3/23 (via a friend in NJ at the time). And if it matters, mine was a kit (only thing available, so I took it ... And the 24-105 has proven a worthy travel workhorse).

Note that I've been using a 5D2 since it was introduced and completely agree with the separate comments regarding AF point illumination; very disappointing. I've resorted to first pressing AF selector button ... But shouldn't have to. (I've also activated joystick to act as AF selector, which is more responsive but not as useful since the entire grid doesn't light up).

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

arbitrage wrote:
So since we've gotten back onto the AF point illumination issue I will again try to explain to everyone why Canon has this system and some suggestions for people to try for the time being until Canon can make some changes.

The system was introduced in the 7D back in 2009. The difference in this system compared to the system in the previous cameras is that in the older cameras the LED squares are permanently on the screen and therefore can light up individually and very brightly and can be seen in daylight and of course in darkness. The new system
...Show more

I did mumble about the 7D VF a couple times but was called a pathetic Nikon troll and, in that case, gave up on it.

Anyway between leaving out manual exposure for video, not outlining the histogram for like half a decade, originally locking 'Auto'ISO at 400 in M mode, the mode where it perhaps made most sense to use, fiddling with the VF in this way, it does fit in with my feeling that Canon isn't a camera company anymore inthe sense that it is not run by camera users or lovers but by suits who have never used one in the life and have no real passion for actually using the products they make and that they have engineers who may be good engineers but also have perhaps never shot a camera in their life. They did finally answer to our calls to outline the histogram and after tons of pressure added manual video control, but the fact that cams could be released in such a state for so long I always though mind boggling.

Apr 14, 2012 at 02:16 PM
HD Cam Team

p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

arbitrage wrote:

The system was introduced in the 7D back in 2009. The difference in this system compared to the system in the previous cameras is that in the older cameras the LED squares are permanently on the screen and therefore can light up individually and very brightly and can be seen in daylight and of course in darkness. The new system
...Show more

"I would propose to Canon (and I encourage all those who are having issues to write to Canon) that having the active point light up and stay lit during metering and focusing would be beneficial."

I second that!

Everyone interested in firmware updates and improvements should send an email to these addresses:

- Chuck Westfall at Canon USA: cwestfall /at/ cusa /dot/ canon /dot/ com

- carecenter /at/ cits /dot/ canon /dot/ com

It only takes few minutes!

That's the way you can get Canon aware and get some improvements. Don't hesitate, there's nothing to loose, and much to improve.

Apr 14, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Arun Gupta
• •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I don't understand one of the points made above. If the 1D series with their 40+ auto focus points displayed properly and all the high-end photographers who used it were happy with it, why would the low(er)-end 7D system migrate upwards? I mean, is it not likely that many of the 1D series professional users would have had little occasion to lift a 7D and notice and comment on its auto focus display?

It makes as much sense as introducing new features into the Toyota Camry and then moving them to the Lexus (and expecting Lexus owners to be delighted).

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
       8       9       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.