p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

1dx can't beat 5d3 so they need to tune 5d3 down

Apr 12, 2012 at 09:53 PM
kirry007
• • •
[X]
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

DocsPics wrote:
It just seems odd to me that the camera and software would be released with such obvious defects, defects which should have become apparent with pre-release product testing. Did they not test multiple lenses of all focal lengths on the camera to make sure the AF and other electronic functions worked properly? )

Appears that they are following the "agile" way of development...like Facebook. Let real world users be the testers and find the bugs, saves you money. We do know of that one tester from Canon who was seen in Kenya with the 2-400 and the 600 + 5d3...pre-release.

Edited on Apr 12, 2012 at 09:59 PM · View previous versions

Apr 12, 2012 at 09:58 PM
thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

They need to (i) replace the old Canon CD with a new one that has a working DPP (ii) change the firmware to address the IS issue on telephoto lenses (iii) tweak the firmware so that the 5D3 AF is (even more) crippled compared to the 1DX

Apr 12, 2012 at 09:58 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

This thread is...One of the reasons I dont like to buy a new model anything...at least for a year, so if problems occur , they can be corrected.

I do fill bad for the pros's that earn a living with there equipment. Trying to stay current, to give there clients the best image as possible. Hope it is just a firmware correction, etc, and not a recall for there sake.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Yup, I do feel bad for them, too, if their equipment is not working properly. It certainly looks like it is just a firmware update. Mine is 3 weeks old and it has been performing without any glitch, none whatsoever, since day one .

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

DocsPics wrote:
It just seems odd to me that the camera and software would be released with such obvious defects, defects which should have become apparent with pre-release product testing. Did they not test multiple lenses of all focal lengths on the camera to make sure the AF and other electronic functions worked properly? Did they not have independent groups of persons test the latest DPP prior to shipping the first camera? This is a major international company acting like a Mom & Pop start-up. (But none the less....this is a cool camera )

I'm sure that they did do all the tests and the issue with the IS was probably due to some last minute tweak by some engr that resulted in a side effect. They probably tested that also not on the two lenses. All the field testers were probably using pre-production units that didnot have this exact problem.

By working for a large company, I also scratched my head on how some of the obvious bugs got through extensive QA too, and it usually turned out to be those last min fixes.

Hope the firmware will add more than just the IS fixes.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

If it is just a firmware fix and downloadable software, why reverse the stock to return back to Canon (especially considering many were already sold)?

I would have rather received my camera and done my own firmware update. Thank goodness I didn't have a paying gig this weekend. I would be out a camera and renting at last moment. Granted, I always have back ups during a paying gig, but it would've added an unnecessary hinderence in a workable situation.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I worked in software testing once. Horrible job. Specifically because every last minute tweak had to have a full round of testing.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

AGeoJO wrote:
Yup, I do feel bad for them, too, if their equipment is not working properly. It certainly looks like it is just a firmware update. Mine is 3 weeks old and it has been performing without any glitch, none whatsoever, since day one .

Joshua, do you think I'm best suited waiting this one out until more information is available, or should I pursue another vendor to order from?

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

John, that's a tough one. I feel 80-90% confident that indeed it would be limited to a firmware update and the DPP issue but of course, I don't have any rational for my assumption, just my gut feeling. It will be sorted out in a few days, I hope. I do not know how soon you need the camera. If you could wait a few more days, it won't hurt to do so.

Joshua

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM
jfulton
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Good advice, Joshua.

I feel a bit naked with lenses only and no bodies to mount them on. Luckily, no immediate planned shoots (other than personal/family). But I know as the summer approaches, shoots tend to increase and I would like to be fully comfortable with it before a paying gig pops up. Guess my lil' NEX 5n will have to do for now.

I'm really looking forward to shooting the 5D mkIII as it sounds like it will fit my needs as a portrait, wedding, bar mitzvah, you name the event type shooter.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM
CMOS
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Why would Canon hold back cameras to apply a firmware update?

Apr 13, 2012 at 02:13 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

CMOS wrote:
Why would Canon hold back cameras to apply a firmware update?

I believe they are replacing the in-box CD with a newer version. It's embarrassing when the Canon provided software can't cope with their own camera.

Apr 13, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

thw2 wrote:
I believe they are replacing the in-box CD with a newer version. It's embarrassing when the Canon provided software can't cope with their own camera.

I dont really see the point in delaying orders when customers can just download the latest version off the Canon site (Install the funky version, then go get the update, easy). Many products ship with outdated software in the box. I never even open the CD packaging that comes in a new camera box. Adds 1% to the resale value when I sell

A firmware update/correction is more understandable for me. It's a fairly tricky process if you've never done it before and struggle to follow instructions.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:24 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Bones74 wrote:
I dont really see the point in delaying orders when customers can just download the latest version off the Canon site (Install the funky version, then go get the update, easy). Many products ship with outdated software in the box. I never even open the CD packaging that comes in a new camera box. Adds 1% to the resale value when I sell

A firmware update/correction is more understandable for me. It's a fairly tricky process if you've never done it before and struggle to follow instructions.

yeah but you have to think of the vast majority of buyers of even a high end peice of equipment like this.
As far as Canon are concerned (and most other company) Joe average will buy the camera and use the software that came out of the box. They will not go looking for a newer version and will not think to update any firmware.

Now I do think it would be possible to do things a bit differently.
1 . inform the stores to take the customers details. and any new software disks could be forwared on when available.
2. Inform the stores that if a firmware upgrade is needed they will be contacted , and full instructions given (which they are anyway). I doubt stores would want to go down the route of offreing to F/W upgrade for customers. If it went wrong for any reason then your into the liability thing. (Unless Canon want to cover that)

On the service notice on the 200 - 800 L lenses.
has anyone noticed how these 2 lenses were announced at around the same time? I think thses were the first lenses that were supposed to have the improved IS system.

Apr 13, 2012 at 04:40 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

If Canon requires you to send your camera back to them it's probably more than a firmware update .. it's also for a hardware fix.

I'm beginning to wonder about all of this .. has anyone seen any official word from Canon?

Apr 13, 2012 at 04:41 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Reportedly there will be an announcement next week.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:25 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

great. i hope they pay for shipping.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:31 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I agree with some of the above comments that, even though it may be a minor tweak, the camera should work right out of the box. It shouldn't require buyer to do any firmware & software update. If Canon does that, it mean they assume buyers have time and Internet connection to do so. And that will upset a lot of customers.

Apr 13, 2012 at 06:10 AM
MarkoB
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

The explanation that makes most sense is that they have to mess the AF since they can not make a better one on 1D X .

Apr 13, 2012 at 06:11 AM
1       2       3      
       5              8       9       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              8       9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.