Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Artist Showing and sales help?

twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Artist Showing and sales help?

I have been asked to have a display of images (probably 20-40) at a local coffee shop. They will be matted and framed and priced for sale. There will be an opening night even with promotion and invitations.

I am wondering how best to sell the prints. I have not done this before so a little kind of advice would be appreciated.

1. Should I sell them as numbered prints? Does it really matter? If so, how do you keep track of and guarantee to the buyer that this is truly a limited edition?

2. Frame choices? Just how much should I go out on a limb here regarding frames and matting. I plan on frame and matt but there is a lot of options out there based on price.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Apr 12, 2012 at 09:57 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Artist Showing and sales help?

When I had my first show in a coffee house, I matted and framed about 20 prints, but ended up hanging only 18 because of spacing.

As a newbie at selling photographs, I didn't do numbered or limited edition stuff. I think it's pretentious if you're just starting out.

I used inexpensive, 1/2" black metal frames and pre-cut mats so everything was uniform and neat looking. It was cheaper and faster for me that way.

I did not sell a single print, but I got a very nice commission out of the show that more than made up for the lack of print sales.

<Chas>

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Artist Showing and sales help?

Thanks Chas. I was not planning on spending a lot on the frames/mats. In the past for various constests I have always gone to Michaels with coupons and done pretty well. I am not expecting to sell a lot but was kind on honored to have the invitation extended.

We have a local artist shop at 2 of the area Malls. Sort of works like a co-op. You pay for space and then are required to work there so many days a month. I have been looking for an excuse to sign on to this, maybe having a bunch of framed photos left over from the show will be the promting I need.

Good advise about the numbering. I was wrestling with that point. I think your are right. I have had a couple of front pages, one literary mag, and one newspaper and have a couple on permanent display in our township offices, but I still have a way to go to get my name known.

Rich

Apr 12, 2012 at 01:16 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Artist Showing and sales help?

My wife and I participated in one of those "crafter's coops" for a year. We never sold enough to pay the monthly fee, much less to make a profit. But your milage may vary.

I repurposed the mats and frames from my show toward other print sales. Having the precut mats and frames on hand allowed me to sell other, custom prints for less money.

Coffee house shows are a bit of a crap shoot because so much depends on the demographicsof the people who go there. The coffee house where my show was caters to students from the nearby university, who don't spend money on photographic prints for their walls

But at night, it hosts many music events, and they attract the crowd I wanted to reach with my pictures.

Good luck

<Chas>

Apr 12, 2012 at 01:45 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.