Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Pelican 1510,

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Pelican 1510,

I swear by Pelican cases. They may be heavy, but they are very protective.

I've been going through a "camera mid-life crisis", where I usually keep my standard zoom mounted to a body, and another body without a lens mounted to it. This way I can switch between 1.3 and 1.6 crop as needed for reach or wide angle purposes (talk about using tools!)

Well I've finally gotten myself to where I'm going to keep 2 lenses mounted on the cameras and carry them to an event, 1.6 crop be damned.

If you're on the fence about buying a Pelican 1510, here's what it can hold.

2 full size SLR bodies with a standard zoom on one and a telephoto zoom on the other (both are f/2.8) with hoods reversed.

2 full size speedlite/lights.

4 Cybersync transceivers and 2 Transmitters.

16 Sanyo Eneloops

3 CF wallets.

35 f/2 (not sure the nikon equiv on size)

A pop up gray card

Altoid cases with wires and batteries.

Sekonic light meter.

Nothing really to this other than showing someone who does a search what all they can cram in this thing. I'm sure if you were better at organizing it than I am, you could get some more use out of the extra cubic inches.

iPhone 4    4mm    f/2.8    1/15s    1000 ISO  

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Pelican 1510,

It also can be used as a seat in the verticle position, and be taken on a domestic airplane as an overhead.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Pelican 1510,

It's hard to go wrong with a Pelican case and the 1510 is one of the best choices out there for carrying equipment on location. Holds enough for almost all situations, is carry-on compatible (for domestic flights), has wheels, and as Robert pointed out...can also be used as a seat. I actually have the larger 1550 because I do need a little extra room and I use a little luggage cart (with large 6" wheels) to tote it around grass & dirt fields at racing events. I also use it as a seat for sitting and as a small step stool when needed. Pelican love...it's a wonderful thing!

Omar

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:22 PM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.1 #4 · Pelican 1510,

Love mine! I actually convert my top lid to accommodate my laptop when traveling. I had some extra foam kicking around the house and cut it to fit! Perfect. The only issue, the foam I took out got tossed by someone at home thinking it was trash! I had to buy a complete set of foam for a 1510 case to get that top piece. Ugh!

Here is a look-see at what mine holds. I rearrange mind depending on whats going on...

I keep contemplating picking up a second 1510 for that extra foam I have kicking around because I love this case so much. I thought about the other rollers but I always worried about the protection. With these, as soon as I latch the lid, I can rest easy. Rain, bumps, etc.

For refrence, if someone is contemplating this setup, my case is holding a 135L, 100mm macro, 5D, 5DII w/grip, 50L, 21 Elmarit, 35 Summicron asph, 50 summicron, and two leica bodies.

yeah, the leica stuff is small but it swallows the canon stuff pretty easily! I love the flexibility of this case. I basically have two kits in here!

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:32 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Pelican 1510,

I wish my dividers were black!!!

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #6 · Pelican 1510,

Here's is mine

Apr 12, 2012 at 03:31 AM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #7 · Pelican 1510,

Shouldn't it be 1514 in the title?

Here's mine before I sold and got a old Tamrac roller due to lighter weight and a bit more room. But I really the case when I had it.

Apr 13, 2012 at 04:15 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Pelican 1510,

No, it is a 1510. I'll post a picture of the label when I'm home.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:57 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Pelican 1510,

4x4rock wrote:
Shouldn't it be 1514 in the title?

RobertLynn wrote:
No, it is a 1510. I'll post a picture of the label when I'm home.

The case by itself is 1510...with dividers, it's 1514 but I rarely see that naming scheme enforced with retailers. They usually just call it a 1510 w/Dividers
It's the same with all their other cases that are fitted with dividers...the 'normal' version ends with 'zero' and the divider version ends with a '4'. Mine is a model 1554, but the case still says 1550.

Omar

Apr 13, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Pelican 1510,

1510 -- 1510 Carry On Case
1514 -- 1510 Case with Padded Dividers
1510LOC-- 1510LOC Laptop Overnight Case
1510NF-- 1510 Carry On (No foam)

Apr 13, 2012 at 07:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Pelican 1510,

Hey, hey! My case says 1510! haha. Yeah, I did a quick google and it confirms what you say, the case itself is the 1510, but with other crap it changes the number!

Boy do I feel dumby dumbkins now Oh well.

Apr 14, 2012 at 01:10 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #12 · Pelican 1510,

Anyone ever consider 'bolting down' their Pelican case in their vehicle?
I've got a Toyota Tundra access cab and have removed the rear seat for increased storage (and to accommodate a raised platform for our new border collie traveling companion).
We often travel with a FWC popup camper and I keep my camera gear stored behind the drivers seat. The rear glass is all tinted, so it's hard for anyone to see what's in there.

A 1510 would fit back there really well and the dog could jump on it coming and going.
What I would like to do is attach the case to the floor of the vehicle, so security at trailheads, or just when parking at my work would not be a concern.

I often find myself gearing my lens / body selection to the given hike we have planned, but want to have some bigger / alternate gear available at the vehicle. If I had a lockable, secure box inside my vehicle it would offer more peace of mind.

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Pelican 1510,

lighthawk wrote:
I've got a Toyota Tundra access cab and have removed the rear seat for increased storage (and to accommodate a raised platform for our new border collie traveling companion).
We often travel with a FWC popup camper and I keep my camera gear stored behind the drivers seat. The rear glass is all tinted, so it's hard for anyone to see what's in there.

A 1510 would fit back there really well and the dog could jump on it coming and going.
What I would like to do is attach the case
...Show more

It's probably more common to get the car stolen than your camera/lenses

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:32 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #14 · Pelican 1510,

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's probably more common to get the car stolen than your camera/lenses

I was afraid someone would say that.

I've never had a stolen vehicle, but have lost a camera to theft.
But I live in fairly safe, small town where people still don't lock their doors at night.

I like the sturdy storage of the 1510, but it doesn't mean much if someone can just pick it up and walk away with it. That's when insuring your gear comes into play.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:09 AM
Doug C
• • •
p.1 #15 · Pelican 1510,

lighthawk wrote:

I bought a two pack of padlocks and an armored bike locking cable. I keep my Pelican case in the back of my SUV. I simply ran the cable thru one of the handles, and padlocked the two ends to one of four tie down points that are bolted to the floor. The second padlock locks the case itself. Covered with a beach blanket, misc stuff, etc....and voila: nothing valuable to see here

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Pelican 1510,

Here's an older video I threw together a few years ago about one way I have configured the case.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:10 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #17 · Pelican 1510,

I've got the Stormcase (now owned by Pelican) equivalent. LOVE it. And I had the foam first, the dividers are way better.

A slightly older setup:

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:03 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #18 · Pelican 1510,

I received my 1514 Pelican today and am happy with the purchase. The rollers are sturdy and I can sleeve a second piece of luggage on top, if airporting. The hinge was so stiff I hesitated opening it the first time. The lid stays put while open, which is a plus when working out of a vehicle parked on a slope.

Storage looks great: I'm fitting:
Two bodies: 7D and 5D; four or five lenses, plus a 70-200 or 400 5.6 with room for smaller items. If I pull out the divider bloc I can slip a 15" MBP below the divided storage. It's not ideal, but I could feel good about my laptop and camera gear arriving in one piece. My lid is just egg crate foam at this time, but I understand an organizer can be added there, which reduces some of the padding.

I'll probably run a cable through a few metal parts of my vehicle and lock it when carrying gears. The box will take a beating and last a long time. Good value and peace of mind storage.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #19 · Pelican 1510,

I love my 1660 for the Speedotron stuff plus other gear that isn't used every time. My 1560 is used to hold my Speedlights kit all 5 speedlites, battery packs, AA batteries, and charger my pocket wizard kit plus some lite mods. I need a second 1560 for the bodies , lenses and camera assecceriories. Right now I'm using a LowePro road trekker aw but it wastes a lot of space with the shoulder straps to make it a backpack, if these were removable I think I would like it better.

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:10 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Pelican 1510,

I also used a 1510 for a while. Was awesome for travelling to/from Iraq, and keeping my gear clean and safe while there.

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password