Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

NonFiction
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

I've been trying in vain to find a setting on the MkIII that will let me use the joystick multi-controller directly to set AF point, as I can in my MkII:

"C. Fn III: Autofocus/Drive AF point selection method -> "1: Multi-controller direct"

I find this setting indispensable and I really hope I won't have to just suck it up and get used to having to use the two-button sequence.

Am I missing it in the manual (reading comprehension of manuals for amazing new cameras is not, admittedly, my strong suit), or am I out of luck?

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:20 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

In the page where you customize various buttons on the camera, you need to customize the joystick to do just that.

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

I setup that way with my camera previously. Yesterday during shooting, my shooting buddy asked the same question and I drew a blank . Sorry, Luz.

You go to CF setting (orange) and there is a menu under the second section, called "Custom Controls". If you open that menu, the last item on the lower right hand corner is the one you want to change to show the logo of "AF Points" instead of whatever the default is. Hope this helps.

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:29 PM
NonFiction
• • •
p.1 #4 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

YESSS! Thank you. Probably didn't help I was trying to figure this out at 1:30 this morning...

Pretty excited about this camera.

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:42 PM
paregorike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

It's an awesome cam.

Ron

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:56 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

It's one of the first setting I changed along with switching the top wheel for Av value and the big wheel for Tv value whenI powered up the 5d3 for the first time.

Also set the shutter to AF start and let the AF on button do the focusing.

Apr 08, 2012 at 08:17 PM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

I LOVE the custom controls option where you can set the dof button so when you hold it it changes your af to continuos servo to one shot af or viceversa, whichever way fits your shooting style better! I find using the af start/stop buttin a pain in the butt to use due to its poistion and size...

Did I say that I love this option!!!

Apr 09, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kardy

p.1 #8 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

pompo wrote:
I LOVE the custom controls option where you can set the dof button so when you hold it it changes your af to continuos servo to one shot af or viceversa, whichever way fits your shooting style better! I find using the af start/stop buttin a pain in the butt to use due to its poistion and size...

Did I say that I love this option!!!

Why not use AI Focus and stop worrying about which mode you're in?

Apr 09, 2012 at 01:07 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #9 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

I dont even remember how exactly AI focus but I do remember that it sucks, ...don't you have to use the center af point with that? I'm not sure...

Apr 09, 2012 at 01:42 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

kardy wrote:
Why not use AI Focus and stop worrying about which mode you're in?

I would strongly suggest not using AI Focus as it is not a reliable mode and you never know what is going on. Also once it switches into servo it doesn't switch back to one shot. If you want the best of both worlds then use aiServo with back button focus. One push and you just did one shot, hold it down and you are servoing!

Apr 09, 2012 at 05:06 AM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #11 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

Can you set the 5D3 to illuminate the point it decided to focus on? Or does it just flash the screen when it has focused mysteriously somewhere on screen?

Apr 12, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Quigg

p.1 #12 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

HELP! 20 year canon sports shooter just shot an evening road cycle race with my 300mm F/2.8 and 28-70mm "L" wide angle lens and most ALL of the shots were out of focus. Never had that problem before. I could tell when i was shooting the images were not in focus. What is the best "case"and setting for sports, especially lower lit sports? Maybe my camera is messed up. Terrible. Email me directly. QuiggLawrence@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2012 at 01:36 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #13 · 5D MkIII: Setting focus point directly?

arbitrage wrote:
I would strongly suggest not using AI Focus as it is not a reliable mode and you never know what is going on. Also once it switches into servo it doesn't switch back to one shot. If you want the best of both worlds then use aiServo with back button focus. One push and you just did one shot, hold it down and you are servoing!

Actually if you want the best of both worlds, you set the focus (servo) to the back button, then you program (custom controls) the DOF preview button to toggle AF to one-shot.

Apr 22, 2012 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password