Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Event Software Recommendation

cas5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Event Software Recommendation

I've got a portrait event that I'm shooting in December. It's going to be roughly 150 families or 500 people. They're looking for a basic posed portrait set up and delivery of printed photos on site. I'd like to set up a couple of touch screen PCs and allow people to select their photos, pick their packages and print them immediately. I've looked at the BreezeSys products and www.darkroomsoftware.com. BreezeSys seems more suited to a photobooth and darkroomsoftware is a fortune. Is there anything else you can recommend? Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:53 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Event Software Recommendation

Wow. You want to use "a couple of touch-screen PCs" for this? Seems pricey (and overkill) when most people still know how to use a mouse, which is under $10.

BreezeBrowserPro (from BreezeSys) is great viewing software, very easy to use. Realize you'll need a license for each PC. I'm not sure as to the licensing required for Canon's ZoomBrowser, which comes free with each Canon dSLR. Might work for you.

I run 15+ viewstations for onsite viewing of youth sports events, but I'm looking at getting dozens of families through for hours straight. Most of these type of software packages will be much more than you need and cost several hundred for what you may end up using rarely, if ever again.

You'll want to go easy on this.

John

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:03 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #3 · Event Software Recommendation

Thanks for the quick response John. I looked at BreezeBrowserPro and rejected it because it seemed more like a photographers tool rather than an end user ordering tool. Did I miss something or is there some other way to use it?

I've got a few touchscreens available so, if the software is touch enabled great, if not a mouse still works :-)

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:18 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Event Software Recommendation

Why do they need to choose? If you give them the option to choose, that will be your biggest bottleneck and you'll need way more than two touchscreens. The way it sounds, you might be better off shooting (tethered or not) and just print out the photos and deliver... keep it simple.

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:22 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #5 · Event Software Recommendation

So Just print all of the images as 5x7s, put them out and hope they buy. Kind of like the way they do it on cruise ships? In that case the breeze software would fit really well.

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:26 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #6 · Event Software Recommendation

... Just noticed in the newest version of BreezeBrowser they added 'a new "kiosk mode" for event photographers wanting to let users select reprints etc. using a touchscreen or mouse'.

/thread

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:37 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Event Software Recommendation

Pay first, take picture, print photo. I wouldn't take the photos nor print them on spec.

Apr 08, 2012 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

WmPat
• • •
p.1 #8 · Event Software Recommendation

P Alesse wrote:
Pay first, take picture, print photo. I wouldn't take the photos nor print them on spec.

Plus one.

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:07 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Event Software Recommendation

Along with what already was mentioned here....with the thought of printing on site....I don't know the duration of your event but will you have the staff, equipment and workflow in place to handle it if all 150 families decided to purchase packages. Conservatively....if you shoot 150 families and take 3 minutes per family that is 7.5 hours just dedicated to that. So now you'll have to have a process with probably multiple printers so you don't get a bunch of people standing around waiting for their orders.

Oops...just saw the part where you mentioned "put them out and hope they buy". Unless you were already paid some type of fee....it seems like a lot of time and money investment on your part to hope they buy something.

Apr 08, 2012 at 10:34 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Event Software Recommendation

We just did something like this for a graduation class of a radiology school at the Marriott. The plan was simple. One package of an 8 x 10, (2) 5 x 7, and (4) wallets for $30.00 cash only. Order forms went out in advance. They could still order once they got to the banquet, but they still had to order before we snapped the shot. We were done in two hours with the whole thing and it was worth our while. Keep it simple.

Apr 08, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Event Software Recommendation

I'll echo what others have said here...follow the KISS theory; keep it simple

I shoot the occasional corporate event. Smallish groups like this. I don't have multiple viewing stations or anything complicated. My site mans the Lightroom system with an external monitor attached. I'm shooting tethered direct. I bring in my Sony dye-sub printer pre-loaded with 5x7 paper and they get 2 choices (sometimes 3): (1) 5x7 or (4) wallets or (2) 3.5x5. In most cases my wife picks the "select" and they glance at the monitor and approve for printing. Done. Once in a while they hate it and we reshoot. End result is really just a few minutes with each party.

All shots are prepaid for the first print. I will do additional shots if they want to buy right then. Nothing is shot or printed on spec.

Time-wise, this can all be done in 90-120 minutes but we do tend to drag our feet a bit and offer a larger window for people to get the photo done. All parties are issued a ticket for the shoot/print. No ticky, no shooty.

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:47 PM
northof50

p.1 #12 · Event Software Recommendation

I do not believe, logistically, you will be able to do this regardless of the software. If you take only 5 minutes per family [to pose, capture, process, select, print and package [never gonna happen]] it would take 12.5 hours. I've taken more than 5 minutes just to get everyone looking in the same direction.

Hope it works for you. Could be a big money day. Think printers & staff more than software.

Best of luck.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:31 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #13 · Event Software Recommendation

I agree with everyone's comments to keep this simple. I also agree with charging up front. It should further simplify the evening. I had been planning two photography stations and we have two snaplab printers, which I figured would have us done in about 4 hours. We could add a third photography station, but, I'm not sure that's necessary yet. I'll have to meet with the client again to figure out some of the logistics.

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:33 AM
rrphotoz

p.1 #14 · Event Software Recommendation

This is a little off topic but I was hoping for some help...

I have been doing event portrait photography for 5 years now and I am looking to streamline my workflow. My specialty is Martial Arts, here are some samples if you wish to check them out: http://rrphotoz.com/galleries/martial-arts-3/

I shoot tethered (Canon 40D to EOS utility)
All photos go to a folder on my SERVER (my laptop)
I have 4 WORKSTATIONS (Laptops)
On the WORKSTATIONS I use “FastStone Image Viewer 4.6” for the clients to view their photos.
I have an assistant who helps the clients when they get to a “viewing station” (Workstation) scroll to their photos and the client then picks the image(s) that they want to purchase.
I am pretty happy with the workflow up to this point.
Here is where I need some help (or if you see where I can improve I am always open)
The client will then fill out a paper form with their information:
Name, address, email, image number choice(s) and if they want a custom background, sign a release and pay (cash or cc via Paypal here on an iPhone – the assistant handles and collects the payment and paper)
I am looking for a solution to make that process digital. I want to avoid potential problems such as sometimes reading their writing is tough. I am always concerned that I will lose their paperwork (although I never have). Etc.
My thought is that after the client views and picks their photos they can enter their information on some kind of form on the laptop viewing station (the same one that they viewed their photos on). That data is then stored on the SERVER in some sort of database or even an excel sheet. Then the assistant will process the payment and give them a receipt
After the event I will process the photos, improve color and give custom background if they order one. I do not print on site.
I was hoping there was a solution that was not online based (I sometimes do not have internet access) that I can use to turn the paper process digital and have the client enter all of their own information and choices (as I do realize that I can enter all of the paperwork after the event – but I REALLY don’t want to do that)

Thank you in advance.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:24 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password