Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

I just taped the pins of my Canon 1.4X TC Mark III and tried it on my f/5.6 lens and all 41 cross-type AF points work flawlessly. I am a happy camper now . How good that works for AI Servo remains to be seen and I am anxious to try that out but on one-shot AF, it nails the focus each time. I do not see any difference in the speed either between with and without the TC and I just tested it inside the house and not outside. If this works on the 5D Mark III, I don't see any reason that it won't on the 1DX .

I believe that Canon feels confident that the new AF system will work reliably with lenses that has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 for AI Servo and that they don't want to specify the reliability of the AF beyond f/5.6. Furthermore, I got the hunch that they didn't want to suggest to Canon users to tape the pins of Canon TCs or to use a generic, non-reporting TC's, like the Kenko but if Canon users want to do that and still get the camera/lens combo to focus to f/8.0 then so be it .

The way it looks, as that thread from dpreview indicates, the OP used a 100-400mm lens with a Kenko 1.4X TC and not with a Canon TC. The Kenko works without taping any pins while the Canon will work but the pins have to be taped. I am not sure about the effect of leaving the tape there and if the TC is used with a faster, let's say, an f/2.8 lens.

Apr 04, 2012 at 04:48 PM
docnlaw24
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Nice. No get out and check out the AI Servo focus!!

and then post images.

Apr 04, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Jamieson

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

BIG THUMBS UP!!! Thanks for doing this

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

I know the AI Servo will and does work but how well under real life conditions, that I don't know yet. I don't have any dog that I can use as a volunteer .

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:03 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Go buy a dog for your girlfriend or wife!

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:07 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

I should have my 5DIII by the end of the week and the 100-400 with a Tamron 1.4x sp will be one of the first things I'll be checking. Since it's a reporting tc I'm assuming I'll need to tape pins for af, but I'm hoping I get similar results as the canon variant. Until then I'll be looking forward to your servo results.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

AGeoJO wrote:
The way it looks, as that thread from dpreview indicates, the OP used a 100-400mm lens with a Kenko 1.4X TC and not with a Canon TC. The Kenko works without taping any pins while the Canon will work but the pins have to be taped. I am not sure about the effect of leaving the tape there and if the TC is used with a faster, let's say, an f/2.8 lens.

well if the TC has the 3 extra pins then you have to tape them if its a canon TC or not . I have a kenko with the pins .
The 3 extra pins on the female part of the tc that mounts to the lens. of course if your lens does not have the 3 corresponding contacts (my 80-200L doesnt) then you wont have to tape anyway.

Now leaving a TC taped when you have a fast lens can change things a bit. As you pointed out you didnt see any AF speed drop with your combo. this is to be expected, as the camera does not 'see' a TC it thinks it just has a lens attatched. now while the speed may not drop the accuracy probably will due to 2 reasons. 1. you have half the light so the phase detect system has less light to work in. 2 the AF drive is designed to work at its normal focal length. make the lens something its not and the likelyhood is it will hunt a bit more.
when a reporting TC is added (assume we are still at or below 5.6 total) the AF slows down to reduce the hunting. its no good being quick if you keep running past the point you want to get to and have to run back.
Also with a 2.8 lens and taped TC the system will still try to use the higher sensitity AF point. but at f4 this may not work well or at all. so again more hunting is possible.

All the above said its good that the new system works well with a taped TC. (I think better to have all those points over just 1 with a reporting TC ) . I did think that maybe it would be the same as the 7D system that wont work the middle point (all others are fine) at all with a taped TC.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:20 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

is anyone getting the 5d iii to af w /a max aperture of f/8?

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

I have a Kenko 1.4x TC, but don't have a 5D III. In the name of science would someone kindly send me one. I will write a full and detailed report and email the results from my beach chair in Tahiti. The camera will be returned ASAP guaranteed.

Seriously if anyone owns both a Kenko/Tamron 1.4x TC and Canon 1.4x TC, and has an f/4 supertele, could they see if the stacked TC tricks still works at f/8 on 5D III.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:37 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Matt, I am looking forward to your findings.

Ian, thanks! I don't like the idea of leaving the tape there permanently and I will put the tape only if I know that I will need the extra reach. Maybe I should get a Kenko TC and leave the tape permanently for just that purpose.

Jason, the camera is tricked to think that it is an f/5.6 lens by taping the 3 pins of the TC. What they referred to an f/8.0 lens in this thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1100852, I believe.... Wait, does Canon have a current lens with a native aperture f/8.0? I cannot think of any at this point.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:45 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I have a Kenko 1.4x TC, but don't have a 5D III. In the name of science would someone kindly send me one. I will write a full and detailed report and email the results from my beach chair in Tahiti. The camera will be returned ASAP guaranteed.

Seriously if anyone owns both a Kenko/Tamron 1.4x TC and Canon 1.4x TC, and has an f/4 supertele, could they see if the stacked TC tricks still works at f/8 on 5D III.

Looks like Canon 600mm + 1.4x + 1.4x paired with Canon 5D Mark III...AF seems to work.

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=214533

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Whayne,
I used to have a Kenko 1.4X that I used stacked with a Canon 1.4X TC. I preferred that combo over Canon 2X alone. I sold the Kenko quite sometime ago . I am confident that the combo of stacked TCs should work on the 5D Mark III but I won't know for sure until we try it.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:51 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Glad to hear that Joshua.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:55 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Good going, Joshua.

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:00 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

By the way, Joshua, you don't need to wait around for a dog to test servo. AFAIK you have two legs...just move yourself rather than having the subject do that for you On another note, could you elaborate a bit more on one shot focus? How does acquisition and accuracy compare to other bodies? Also, are outer points as accurate and or as quick as the center?

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

ruhikant wrote:
Looks like Canon 600mm + 1.4x + 1.4x paired with Canon 5D Mark III...AF seems to work.

Cheers

Good, it's as I suspected it should and would be. Now it's funny Canon say this is impossible. Did they even bother to try such a combo? Of course not!

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:18 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

M Vers wrote:
By the way, Joshua, you don't need to wait around for a dog to test servo. AFAIK you have two legs...just move yourself rather than having the subject do that for you On another note, could you elaborate a bit more on one shot focus? How does acquisition and accuracy compare to other bodies? Also, are outer points as accurate and or as quick as the center?

Hi Matt,
I understand that. Please check your PM. The one shot AF is fast and accurate. The DOF of the lens I use is really quite revealing. I check it on Liveview, it is dead on. I cannot tell the difference in AF speed or accuracy between the center and any other cross-type AF points. It is that good .

Joshua

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:22 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

Gotcha--good enough for me

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

ruhikant wrote:

Well that's to be expected (as other f8 combo's have worked as well) . Remember that when 2 tc's are stacked only the one connected to the LENS is reported. So that combo without any tape trick will report as f5.6

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D Mark III - 41 AF points work at f/8.0!

AGeoJO wrote:
... Wait, does Canon have a current lens with a native aperture f/8.0? I cannot think of any at this point.

Nope , they never have had an AF (EF mount) lens with a native f8 .
Some 3rd party lenses are f6.3 (bigma , super zooms etc) which should not work. But they somehow lie to the AF system to say its a 5.6 lens .

The slowest AF lens I can think of is a Sony . They make a 500mm f8 mirror lens that has AF.

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:42 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.