FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

aztwang1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

Need to get an large diffuser for outdoor shooting. Something on the
lines of a 6x6 or an 8x8. Im leaning towards the Scrim Jim as it offers
more variations of diffuser and reflection material than the Lastolite.
I had considered Sunbonce but there seems to be allot of people commenting
on the sub quality of the diffuser/reflector material.

Is the 8x8 overkill? Seems as the large size would be more useful as coverage
area would provide a larger diffused area for when the sun is at a lower angle.
Any and all opinions welcome.

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:55 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

Given where you live an 8 x 8 probably isn't overkill for a portrait session on a sunny day, providing you have a truckload of sandbags or a phalanx of assistants to hold it in place.

What type of situations do you plan to use it? An alternative you might what to consider is square folding white pop-up event tent. They have the advantage of being self supporting and fold down into a relatively small package for transport. By the time you where to add the stands and rigging needed to suppport a scrim the weight and logistics wouldn't be much different but you'd be less likely to be reenacting "Gone with the Wind". It also has the advantage of making it easy to hang a curtain in a corner as a changing area for the model and shade for the gear you aren't using.

This is an example of the type of tent I'm suggesting: http://www.displays2go.com/Category.aspx?ID=27175

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:47 AM
aztwang1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

cgardner wrote:
Given where you live an 8 x 8 probably isn't overkill for a portrait session on a sunny day, providing you have a truckload of sandbags or a phalanx of assistants to hold it in place.

What type of situations do you plan to use it? An alternative you might what to consider is square folding white pop-up event tent. They have the advantage of being self supporting and fold down into a relatively small package for transport. By the time you where to add the stands and rigging needed to suppport a scrim the weight and logistics wouldn't be
...Show more
Great idea ....never thought of that.....only issue is that would probably provide 4-5 less stops vs 1/2 to 1 1/2 less stops maybe a bit Too much...I don't know, I'll have to stew on that.

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:27 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

I don't think the differential will be that much. Direct sun is "Sunny 16" and the flip side, open shade, is "Shady 5.6" a three stop difference. So worst case I'd gues you'd get 2-3 stops less light than the direct sun.

You might want to look for one on Craigs List or FleaBay to get the frame, then create your own tent out of thinner, more translucent rip-stop sail cloth.

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:29 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

I prefer the scrim jims, but I do have the 78"x78" skyfire since the extra 6" can be handy with two models or one model with arms outspread. The scrim Jim is only 72" and can come up short sometimes. An 8'x8' scrim requires a lot more support than the size down does.

The Westcott panels are much more flexible than the skyfires. The large westcotts can be large, medium, or small just by removing extensions. The skyfires have bungee cords that prevent the frame from Beijing used as a smaller size. I also find the Westcott to be easier to put together as the fabric is a bit easier to attach.

IMHO the pop up tents are not as flexible and can have odd color shifts. I've been able to use scrim jims 6'x6' panels with one c stand and an assistant in light winds with no issue.

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:43 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skylite, or Scrim Jim

I use a California Sunbounce Pro and it works great. If you are shooting weddings, or models with long dresses, i'd suggest a 6x8' and not a 4x6'.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.