Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

ifaynshteyn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

Hia folks,
While shooting photos today I came upon a major dilemma. I currently use extension tubes for macro work. While I find them a lot of fun, I can rarely seem to get the shot I am looking for, with any number of combinations afford me by my Kenko tube set. Also, focusing by moving back and forth has proven quite difficult, and even when shooting at f/16 or so, my shots are always out of focus. I am sure a large part of it is my technique.I end up missing the shot, getting frustrated and using my film camera, for which I have a macro lens.

I have been looking at the 40mm f2.8 AF-S and was wondering if anyone had any feedback about it.
Do you feel the 40mm might be more beneficial than using my extension tubes?

Best,
Ilya

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:54 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

I'm no expert on macros so someone else will have to chime in but my one thought is that 40mm sounds like you would have to be very close to the subject. I've got a macro tube and when I used it with my 50mm, I had to get within just a few inches or so of the subject, which is too close for me. I do better using the tube with an 85.

Apr 02, 2012 at 06:33 AM
John Hanon
• • •
p.1 #3 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

A macro lens gives you more flexibility and much less frustration for sure.

If you do flowers mostly 40mm will be ok but for insects I would not take that one... too short focusing distance for me, I would rather have a look at the 80mm f/3.5 DX or if money is no object the 105VR

Apr 02, 2012 at 06:44 AM
SirBrian

p.1 #4 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

A good affordable macro lens is the tamron 90 f.28 or the 60f.28. Those are recommended quite a lot, and if you want to spend a bit more, the 150 sigma non-os is great!

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:02 AM
penghai
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

Ilya,

Whether 40mm is beneficial depends on what you shoot. For example, it will be different if you shoot a static subject vs a butterfly. Depending on your subject, the longer focal length gives you a longer focus distance so you can avoid disturb your subject.

There are also 2 other advantages that typical macro lenses offer:
1. Usually they are very sharp.
2. You can focus from infinite down to 1:1 or 1:2. This is far more convenient than the limited focus range caused by an extension tube.

Erc

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:33 AM
ifaynshteyn
• •
p.1 #6 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

Thank you all for the insight.
To answer the "what do I shoot" question, I shoot static objects, abstracts. No bugs or flowers for me.Ill have to look into the Tamrons!

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:16 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

anyone tried this 40mm lens with FX or 1.2x crop mode? How's the vignette?

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:22 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #8 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

ifaynshteyn wrote:
Thank you all for the insight.
To answer the "what do I shoot" question, I shoot static objects, abstracts. No bugs or flowers for me.Ill have to look into the Tamrons!

Tamron has there new 90mm VC micro coming out next week. It looks very promising.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892886-REG/Tamron_90Mm_F_2_8_Di_Macro.html

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

the MOST important factor for sharp macro images is your tripod, head, cable release choices

Most any lens can deliver very sharp images when stopped down so I suggest getting a heavy tripod a good head a focussing rail, cable release, practice and patience are essential too

J

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:56 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #10 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

For a macro lens your first choice is the focal length, which determines the working length to your subject. THEN pick features/ manufacturer. I have a 90 mm Tamron which is very nice- but probably all the others are too.

> the MOST important factor for sharp macro images is your tripod, head, cable release choices

Gotta try that sometime but so far I usually do hand-held. With careful bracing, good light, and some luck (that means, discarding the bad ones) I have been able to get some acceptable images.

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/user/MalbikEndar/media/shroom2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=30

One real nuisance is WIND- if you've got it the tripod won't help, you need an assistant with an umbrella or hat or such.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:06 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #11 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

Sorry 'bout that link- photobucket has gone weird.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:07 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

MalbikEndar wrote:

For a macro lens your first choice is the focal length, which determines the working length to your subject. THEN pick features/ manufacturer. I have a 90 mm Tamron which is very nice- but probably all the others are too.

> the MOST important factor for sharp macro images is your tripod, head, cable release choices

Gotta try that sometime but so far I usually do hand-held. With careful bracing, good light, and some luck (that means, discarding the bad ones) I have been able to get some acceptable images.

http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/user/MalbikEndar/media/shroom2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=30

One real nuisance is WIND- if you've got it the tripod won't
...Show more

the real nuisance is when folks don't read thru the thread first

The OP is making images of static images so everything I said earlier still holds. And the image you linked to is nice but easily made with deeper DOF if you would like using a tripod. I have easily more than 50k images of flowers and shrooms and lichen etc and no more than 10% were made Without a tripod.

once you get past the fact that you gotta use one it becomes the main tool for sharp and better composed images

J

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

And I agree whole heartedly. There are a few other things too which can make things a little easier and up the creative level

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:33 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

For that FL try the super sharp Voitlander 40mm F2.0 it comes with a close up lens.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

jmcfadden wrote:
the MOST important factor for sharp macro images is your tripod, head, cable release choices

Most any lens can deliver very sharp images when stopped down so I suggest getting a heavy tripod a good head a focussing rail, cable release, practice and patience are essential too

J

+10,000!!!!!!!

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:05 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Macro Dilemma-Nikon 40mm f2.8 AF-S

brett maxwell wrote:
anyone tried this 40mm lens with FX or 1.2x crop mode? How's the vignette?

It's pretty sweet on the D800 in 1.2x mode...negligible. No distortion/CA either.

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:45 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password