FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anole and Dragonfly

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anole and Dragonfly

Just a couple from around the yard.

Your nits, critiques and comments are most appreciated. You guys have really made me aware of so many things . Just wanted to say thanks

Hope you enjoy.

Birdie

Mar 31, 2012 at 07:45 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anole and Dragonfly

Lovely comp on the dragonfly! Nice look from the Anole.

Mar 31, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anole and Dragonfly

Cool DOF treatment on both Roberta!
Well done

Tom

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:05 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anole and Dragonfly

Ohhhh my Birdie, the dragon is da-bomb! Ultra sweet BG and super fantastic facial expression and eye detaail creating quite a unique display of this creature!

DOF is fun to see when it is a tiny slice like on this Anole. The comp is great for me, this is a shot where for me I like to tinker with the light, I will darken and lighten specific areas to emphasize a feature or color perhaps. Much of this was learned by a good visual study of how Socrate presents his subjects, he is just wonderful at directing our attention to where he wants us to see
I also like this shot for many reasons, its a classic pose and a great effort and display of your elevated efforts of photography and PP presentation!

Good work........great work!
Karl

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:29 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anole and Dragonfly

I like them both Birdie. No nits on 2. In 1, is the shallow dof intentional? For me, I'd like more dof because as is, you have several areas of sharpness, (eye, toes, and upper neck), but they are not connected. I understand is the plane of focus, but it doesn't look natural to me. Maybe blurring everything but the eye would help. I'm not sure - just thinking out loud.
Ron

Mar 31, 2012 at 09:01 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anole and Dragonfly

Two great posts Roberta. I'll start with the second since it's easier...superb shot on all fronts. The focus is spot on and those lacy wings are to die for. Gorgeous background and a nice perch round out an excellent image.
The second is very interesting....we usually see depth of focus variations front and back but here you have them in essence sideways. I suspect the blurring is intentional and from processing rather than using a shallow dof. If not I can't figure out how one would do that.
Fun pix...nice out of the box thinking!
Eric

Apr 01, 2012 at 12:17 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anole and Dragonfly

I like them both, I haven't see an Anole since Maui way back when

Apr 01, 2012 at 01:30 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anole and Dragonfly

very nice Roberta.. #1 is probably my favorite

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:42 AM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anole and Dragonfly

A lovely pair of images Roberta. Super job on the dragon.

Mike

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:17 AM
reedtess
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anole and Dragonfly

Ugh..that Dragonfly is a great shot.
I like them both.
Great capture.

*Reynold

Apr 01, 2012 at 09:08 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anole and Dragonfly

Two excellent images, Birdie. I love the shallow DOF in both of them.
Dit you use your micro 105 or 300 f4 lens?
Chris

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:15 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anole and Dragonfly

surfnron wrote:
Maybe blurring everything but the eye would help. I'm not sure - just thinking out loud.
Ron

Of all the people I hate to agree with.... Ron? .
But I do. If you couldn't get the anole's mouth and nose in focus also, I'd go with just the eye, and fuzzy-up the other sharply-focused places.
Excellent pics- both.
Charlie

Apr 01, 2012 at 04:05 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anole and Dragonfly

Lovely comp on the dragonfly! Nice look from the Anole.

Thank you very much Kenny!

v Cool DOF treatment on both Roberta!
Well done

Tom

Thank you Tom, much appreciated.

Ohhhh my Birdie, the dragon is da-bomb! Ultra sweet BG and super fantastic facial expression and eye detaail creating quite a unique display of this creature!

DOF is fun to see when it is a tiny slice like on this Anole. The comp is great for me, this is a shot where for me I like to tinker with the light, I will darken and lighten specific areas to emphasize a feature or color perhaps. Much of this was learned by a good visual study of how Socrate presents his subjects, he is just wonderful at directing our attention to where he
...Show more

Karl, thank you for you much too kind words. I will rework the anole and post my adjustments.

I like them both Birdie. No nits on 2. In 1, is the shallow dof intentional? For me, I'd like more dof because as is, you have several areas of sharpness, (eye, toes, and upper neck), but they are not connected. I understand is the plane of focus, but it doesn't look natural to me. Maybe blurring everything but the eye would help. I'm not sure - just thinking out loud.
Ron

Thanks Ron, the shallow dof was due to the fact that I was at f/4 and no flash . Going to work on the anole with Karls and your suggestions and repost.

Apr 01, 2012 at 04:16 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anole and Dragonfly

Two great posts Roberta. I'll start with the second since it's easier...superb shot on all fronts. The focus is spot on and those lacy wings are to die for. Gorgeous background and a nice perch round out an excellent image.
The second is very interesting....we usually see depth of focus variations front and back but here you have them in essence sideways. I suspect the blurring is intentional and from processing rather than using a shallow dof. If not I can't figure out how one would do that.
Fun pix...nice out of the box thinking!
Eric

Thank you Eric. I was using the 300 mm f/4 . My settings were f/5.6 ISO 400 Shutter 1/250 Spot Metering
Aperture Priority No Flash. I was focused on the middle of the head.
I really can't explain how I did it. I had to squat down, focus slightly upward to get the green yellow leaves in the background. The tail was just out of focus as is, not blurred by me in post. I was also at the min. focus distance .

Apr 01, 2012 at 04:25 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anole and Dragonfly

These are great Roberta

Morris

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:19 PM
timgriffin
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anole and Dragonfly

Beautiful shot with the Dragonfly - great angle, exposure, sharp! I like the Anole also - what lens do you use for macro? Most of the Anoles around here in Florida have been replaced with larger brown lizards that were brought in for palmetto bug control back in the 70's or something and took over...

Apr 01, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anole and Dragonfly

Oh my Birdie, the Dragon is superdupertastic Wow!! I like the Anole also but I would prefer more dof, the snout being OOF and up front like that bugs my eye

Tim

Apr 01, 2012 at 08:38 PM
Haifisch M3
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anole and Dragonfly

the DOF is perfect on both of these well composed shots
Hai

Apr 01, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anole and Dragonfly

I like you re-work of the Anole best, Roberta. I am a fan of shallow DOF and I always thing about DOF as the third dimension of composition. You did good with these
Socrate

Apr 01, 2012 at 11:32 PM
chickenrx
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anole and Dragonfly

The dragon is awesome Birdie!
~ Ted

Apr 02, 2012 at 04:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.