FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Forsythia Branch

lycale
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Forsythia Branch

Once again, I would so much appreciate your comments and advice.

http://lycale.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v42/p870338854-4.jpg

Mar 30, 2012 at 02:40 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Forsythia Branch

Nice comp Lynn. The colors look natural, and the bg works well ~ Ron

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:56 PM
brockwhittaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Forsythia Branch

Great looking photo, and the frame goes well. I don't know about the actual photo, but the one on FM has a really rough gradient.

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:58 PM
lycale
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Forsythia Branch

Thank you both for taking the time to look and to comment. I really appreciate it.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Forsythia Branch

The subject nicely fill the frame in various directions. I personally feel the frame is very distracting from your flowers, it pull me outside the frame away from the flowers that would be stronger on their own on that deep red/brown BG. I would prefer a dark frame only on this one.

The flowers seem a bit over saturated/bright yet. There are small traces of greens that would be nice if they were more prominent perhaps?

This might be a good shot to really work on highlight reduction. Tricky, contrasty, and maybe a battle against the light which could have been kinder to you or more early or late light rather than the direct overhead you had. Contrast could possibly be reduced to help too.

just my thoughts for you to consider............
Karl

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Forsythia Branch

I'm with Karl, the frame totally takes away from the image, which is a nice image.

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:09 AM
lycale
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Forsythia Branch

Thank you so much Karl and Conrad. I feel as if your suggestions really helped me improve the last two flower photos I posted, and I certainly plan to take your advice and try to make this one better, too. I'll repost it as soon as I get a chance to complete the improvements.

Again, I can't tell you enough how much I have learned and am learning from the people on this forum. Karl may remember my first post here-- a zebra with its feet cut off!

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:36 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Forsythia Branch

Also... you shot at ISO 2000. I'm assuming you did some noise reduction in the background? I mention that because I see some pixelation from the gradient changes in the BG. It happens to me when I overdo the noise removal then resize, by then there isn't enough data for a smooth transition from one hue to the next. The fix? Try to shoot in good light so you don't have to use high ISO, otherwise its very difficult to fix in PP. I've tried to re-introduce noise to try to fix this type of problem, but its hit and miss if it works in post processing. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:46 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Forsythia Branch

Conrad Tan wrote:
Also... you shot at ISO 2000. I'm assuming you did some noise reduction in the background? I mention that because I see some pixelation from the gradient changes in the BG. It happens to me when I overdo the noise removal then resize, by then there isn't enough data for a smooth transition from one hue to the next. The fix? Try to shoot in good light so you don't have to use high ISO, otherwise its very difficult to fix in PP. I've tried to re-introduce noise to try to fix this type of problem, but its hit
...Show more

The variation lines in the BG are from a loss of information that allows the showing of the tiny gradients of color, something in your workflow robbed away info, heavy use of Shadow/Highlights control is often one good culprit. If your Histogram is not solid when you are working your image in PP and you see areas in the Histogram that show voids this is where you are missing the info

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:57 AM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Forsythia Branch

To choose a matt or frame, an artist usually chooses the colour that they want to emphasize in the photo. This brings out the colour in the photo. I personally didn't see the framing, until I read a couple of the posts and then went back and looked for it.

Lovely photo.

Y

Mar 31, 2012 at 09:34 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Forsythia Branch

Very nice shot !

Birdie

Mar 31, 2012 at 09:44 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Forsythia Branch

I like the comp and the simplicity of the shot. I'll second Karl on the technical crits

Tim

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Forsythia Branch

nice shot - good to see the spring colors coming back.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM
lycale
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Forsythia Branch

Again, I thank all of you so much for your help and your kind words. As Karl suggested--and several of you agreed--I tried to improve the shot by reducing the contrast and brightness and by changing the frame to a less conspicuous one. The photo has updated on this site, and I hope it is better. Please let me know. Thanks again.

Lynn

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.