Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

maljo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Appreciate the comments very much.
For me, better AF is worth a lot. An out of focus image is useless.

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:33 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

deepbluejh wrote:
Sounds like to me there is one legit issue here and a whole bunch of "issues" caused by unfamiliarity with the camera and not reading the manual.

stanj wrote:
Sounds to me like this is an example of someone who doesn't have the camera passing judgement on those who do.

deepbluejh wrote:
... only I do have the camera. Anything else?

Time to update your profile, then. I saw only 5D2s listed - I can't do better homework than that.

Edit: thank you.

Edited on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:48 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

My biggest complaint is that the camera did not come in a "2" pack

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:49 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

molson wrote:
As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, this is becoming standard practice every single time a new camera is released.

People grab the camera and start shooting without so much as a glance at the instruction manual... then we're deluged with hundreds of posts about "problems" with the camera, 98% of which ultimately prove to be user error.

If only people spent as much time learning how the gear works as they spend recording their "unboxing" videos, their would be a lot less hysteria out there.

...You two should get off the net once in a while,put down all the manuals and go take some pictures. Who knows...maybe your camera won't be as perfect then despite your vast knowledge of all the camera settings.

If you still want to show off your superiority, you are welcome to let me know how I(and many others) can fix the issues I described.
This way there won't be any more posts like this to insult your intelligence.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Jefferson

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

DmitriM wrote:
If you still want to show off your superiority, you are welcome to let me know how I(and many others) can fix the issues I described.

It's really very simple... RTFM!

(and stay off the internet until you do...)

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Arun Gupta wrote:
While there should be no issue for the 24L v1 & 2, and the 70-200 f/2.8L, L IS, L IS II, pages 79 onward of the 5d3 manual divide lenses into groups A to H.

In group A, all the AF points work, including all the dual cross-type AF points. The lenses above belong to group A.

In group B, all the AF points work, but only the central dual cross-type AF point works as such. This includes the 14L, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, the 24-70 f/2.8L.

In group C, all the AF points work but none work as dual cross-type AF points
...Show more

While I must confess I'm disappointed to see such a big effect of the lens used on the AF system I'm amused to see the 50/1.8 in group A while the 800/5.6 is in group F and the 1200/5.6 in group G.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 30, 2012 at 05:13 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

bobbytan wrote:
Wow #7 is a deal breaker for me. I will be equally frustrated if I am having to struggle with the AF point when you have to shoot quickly. I am glad I made the decision to not be an early adopter this time. I hope Canon fixes the problem and drops the price before too long .... or give us the "real" 3D this Fall.

Bobby, Bobby,
The AF display/illumination of the 5D Mark III is basically the same as that from the 7D. You went through two 7Ds in the last year and half or so. Did you notice any issues when you had/used either one? This shouldn't be any issues whatsoever for people that used or still use the 7D before. But still, I know you won't get the 5D Mark III regardless anyway , right? Let me tell you though, you don't know what you are missing!

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:41 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Yakim Peled wrote:
While I must confess I'm disappointed to see such a big effect of the lens used on the AF system I'm amused to see the 50/1.8 in group A while the 800/5.6 is in group F and the 1200/5.6 in group G.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Well, if the 800 or 1200 were f/1.8 lenses I'm sure they'd be on the A team, too.

Mar 30, 2012 at 08:14 PM
Makaveli6103
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I just got my 5D M3 on Thursday and have been playing around with it. One thing that really does bother me is the magnification of a photo being moved. As someone else mentioned I moved it to the set button and I am sure I will get use to it. But concerning seeing the AF point on the VF, I have no problems. I set it so I only see my cross type, selected (constant) for AF point display during focus and VF display illumination to Enable.

But so far the AF is well worth the upgrade. I went from the 5Dc and cannot believe how easy it is to focus now and the low light photos. I never went above 1600 with the 5dc but now can go up to 12800 with no problems.

Mar 30, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

So, I'm still trying to understand if the AF point illumination issue is solved or if this is a bad design. What is the verdict?

Mar 30, 2012 at 08:59 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

It is basically the same as that in the 7D. Did you hear any complaints about that issue from 7D users? I elaborated a little more here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1099852/1#10494311

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Thanks for the link, AGeoJO. I guess I'll have to judge it for myself when my 5D3 comes in, but it's the only purported issue so far about this new camera that is making me a little nervous.

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Todd Klassy wrote:
Thanks for the link, AGeoJO. I guess I'll have to judge it for myself when my 5D3 comes in, but it's the only purported issue so far about this new camera that is making me a little nervous.

Unnecessarily, if I may add but indeed, you have to judge it yourself. Enjoy the camera!

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:14 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I tested the RAW files against jpeg copies and I suggest for everyone to just forget about jpegs. They suck! RAW files are really sharp and all jpegs of the same files are really soft and smudged at all ISO values.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Right......the group F lenses have a good number of AF points deactivated, plus they do not have any double precision points. That's where 800 f/5.6 fits in.

Now, if anyone tells you that 800L is the best focusing Canon lens on their 5DMkIII, such as for birds in flight, they either do not understand, or they haven't got the experience or whatever, because there are several reasons why 800L is one of the worst performing BIF lenses I have experienced.......and I have used just about all of them starting with 15mm FE, except 600 f/4.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

DmitriM wrote:
I tested the RAW files against jpeg copies and I suggest for everyone to just forget about jpegs. They suck! RAW files are really sharp and all jpegs of the same files are really soft and smudged at all ISO values.

Back to my original suggestion to create a custom picture style with cranked up sharpening.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

stanj wrote:
Back to my original suggestion to create a custom picture style with cranked up sharpening.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your custom picture style set-up?

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

stanj wrote:

gvg45 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what's your custom picture style set-up?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1099335/0#10487599

I know, that's 3 pages back

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

AGeoJO wrote:
It is basically the same as that in the 7D. Did you hear any complaints about that issue from 7D users? I elaborated a little more here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1099852/1#10494311

I have never used the 7D, but I think the crux of the problem for folks is that on most every Canon I have used when you half-press the shutter release the active focus point flashes (when focusing starts and before it is achieved). With the 5D III it does not. Apparently some folks are having problems knowing where the focus point is in some lighting conditions and they would not have this problem if the active point would flash at the start of focus instead of only flashing when focus is locked.

I can see the difference on my 5D III, but despite trying to find a situation in which it is a problem for me I have been unable to do so. I can see the black squares in dimmer lighting than I would ever try to take a picture (so low that I can’t see the object well enough to know where on it I want to put the focus point which I CAN see), and see the focus points even better in bright light. Having said that, I do prefer having the active point flash at the beginning of focus. I currently have to briefly look for the focus point in low light whereas with the flash at the start of focus it slaps you in the eye – no need to look. I can see how this is a problem for someone in low light having to make snap decisions. I’m just lucky that my photography is more laid back. If it can be fixed with firmware Canon really should fix it ASAP. The change makes no sense - they might as well have started putting the shutter release on the other side - why fix what ain't broke?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.