FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

rhawara

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Hi everyone

It took me some time and energy but I finally put together a new blog post detailing pretty much everything that happened on my last trip to Tanzania.

It's a pretty candid account, has a lot of pictures if you're into just that, and for those who are looking for substance, boy, there is a lot of it in the latter sections. Stat geeks are going to be happy. Gear junkies as well.

I invite you to take a look and drop any comments here.

Just as I did after my Kenya post-mortem (which generated quite a bit of discussion), I'll be happy to answer questions should any be asked. I'm always happy to help those who want to make their way to Africa or any other part of the world for that matter.

One last note. I invite you to also look at 2 other articles that were written around the same time as they may help and inspire those who are planning a safari in the near future:

Safaris can be boring... so do something about it!

The discipline of culling (a.k.a. I can't stand to look at massive photo albums)

Now for the obligatory pictures to get things started :-)

http://www.cuibono.ca/images/projects/tanzania2/Tanzania_2012_02_05_16-22-21.jpg

http://www.cuibono.ca/images/projects/tanzania2/Tanzania_2012_02_07_08-36-18.jpg

http://www.cuibono.ca/images/projects/tanzania2/Tanzania_2012_02_08_18-57-27_01.jpg

http://www.cuibono.ca/images/projects/tanzania2/godwinAaron.jpg

http://www.cuibono.ca/images/projects/tanzania2/robcontorted.jpg

All the best,

Rob

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Jeannean
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

This is my dream trip someday. Thank you for posting such a great narrative and tips. Awesome photos!

Mar 28, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Very very cool!

Mar 29, 2012 at 01:01 AM
rhawara

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Thx Jeannean - hopefully you make it out there soon! From the north east USA/Canada, you can budget about $1400 to get to Nairobi, and $50 to get to Arusha by bus. Then budget about $300/day (assuming 2 people are going) in Kenya for transport, park fees, accommodations, food, and game drives. It's a bit more expensive in my experience in Tanzania.

One person in the jeep is ideal but really expensive unless you're doing day trips, 2 is ideal for extended stays (you can share a room/tent which really cuts down on costs). My day trip to Tsavo from Mombassa for example cost $275. That's private driver/guide and all park fees.

So if you can find a person to go with you and you can each put 4k aside, you have your trip of a lifetime :-)

Thx Conrad, hope you enjoyed it!

Rob

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:26 AM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Sounds awesome! Its on my bucket list for sure
Am going to read the lens junkie part as I am a non recovering L-coholic....

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:43 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Mar 29, 2012 at 02:55 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

great shots Rob .. interesting links also

Mar 29, 2012 at 03:02 PM
rhawara

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Thx kmunroe / CDaescher. Have either of you been out there? CDaescher, KLM flies to both Nairobi and Kili, you should be able to get cheap flights and experience it for yourself :-)

Mar 29, 2012 at 04:15 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Nice stuff. Africa is a must for wildlife photographers and there are lots of destinations and lots of variety. Go often!!!! Don

Mar 29, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Haifisch M3
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

nice shots Rob, the lions chewing on zebra are my pick
Hai

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Good stuff Rob -- enjoyed reading your blog -- seems that you ran into the three cheetah brothers of Ndutu -- I once saw them almost simultaneously take down three wildebeest, which was pretty cool. Cheers, Andrew

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:56 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Very informative and I like your thinking with respect to the D4.

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:29 PM
rhawara

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Hey Don
Botswana is next, though I'm sure to pass by Tanzania again to hang with my guide. He's going through a Masai ceremony this October so if I can make my way to Arusha, I'm there. I'll probably head up to the National Park and maybe go for a quick safari near by. My father, who goes to South Africa with my mother every year for 2 months, wants to do Zambia. So if all goes well, I'll combine Botswana (Okavango Delta) and Zambia in December and January.

@Haifisch -> mine too, though some cringed at it. I have some of that on video too. So happy I recorded some moments. Looking to go back with more video equipment next time, ideally affixed to the land cruiser.

@Andrwe -> they were so lazy! After seeing the lions eat breakfast, then the wildebeest give birth, we hung out with them for a few hours. They did nothing other than sleep and lie on each other. At 5pm or so, a herd of zebras walked within 50 feet of them (with babies). They got up, used the jeep as cover, and in the end, decided that lying in the shadow of the jeep would be a better idea. *sigh*

@PennsyBill -> Thx, happy you read through it all :-) And I'm for sure sticking with my D3s, I hopefully take possession of a D800 soon which will be a match made in heaven.

Cheers

Rob

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

rhawara wrote:
Thx kmunroe / CDaescher. Have either of you been out there? CDaescher, KLM flies to both Nairobi and Kili, you should be able to get cheap flights and experience it for yourself :-)

The only african country I set ever foot on was Egypt.
I just looked up KLM tickets to Nairobi. Not bad at all.
But I probably shout save up first for 500mm glass and I'm not sure my D7000 can handle this amount of sand.
Chris

Mar 30, 2012 at 03:34 AM
rhawara

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Egypt is a great place for photography. My family is from there (though everyone left many many years ago) so going to visit was pretty special.

You can rent what you need and let them clean up after you :-)

Cheers

R

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:54 AM
stockshas
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Nice!!!

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:32 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Wonderful !!! On my dream list also.

Birdie

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:41 AM
rhawara

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Behind the scenes of an African safari

Thx stockshas, birdied!

Mar 30, 2012 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.