Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

I forgot I had a receiver on my 580 and think I fried it .. the front lens is warped & pitted and you could smell the burning. But the flash still works .. just only on full power in both manual & ETTL .. you can't adjust the power at all.

Someone said it's the flash tube but if it flashes at all it would seem the tube is OK?
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Mar 25, 2012 at 02:00 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

Did you have hidden in a bag? If it got hot enough to melt the lens its likely the heat may have damaged the controller circuit board. They work or not, and if not a trip to the repair shop is the needed. Canon in the US repairs flashes for a flat rate of about $130, not sure about Canada

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

No recent experience, but in 2010, Canon Canada's charge was a $99 flat rate for any speedlight repair. With HST and shipping, (for Ontario), the total came to around $125. That's not much different from Chuck's experience in the US. You can phone Canon Canada to see if they've changed their rates since then.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

I blew a capacitor once on a Vivitar 285 speedlight at a wedding. It was a loud boom, with the smell of something fried inside.

Mar 26, 2012 at 01:27 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

Thanks guys .. @cgardner we were using it as a accent light then moved it off set and forgot about it until we smelled something burning .. lol.

Not sure if I want to spend >$100 on the flash repair but if I knew it was a bulb for sure maybe take it apart and do it myself.

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:09 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

Mike Mahoney wrote:
...Not sure if I want to spend >$100 on the flash repair but if I knew it was a bulb for sure maybe take it apart and do it myself.

Nope. If it was the flash tube it wouldn't fire at full power...if at all. It's almost surely the control circuits, and I wouldn't recommend trying to repair it yourself.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

williamkazak wrote:
I blew a capacitor once on a Vivitar 285 speedlight at a wedding. It was a loud boom, with the smell of something fried inside.

Sometimes capacitors make a frying bacon sound an hour or so before they go. Not always though -- they're unpredictable.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Mar 27, 2012 at 03:52 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

henryp wrote:
Sometimes capacitors make a frying bacon sound an hour or so before they go. Not always though -- they're unpredictable.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

mmmmm, bacon...

A vivitar 285 capacitor, that's not a boom...try a Norman 2000, now thats a boom!

Mar 27, 2012 at 03:55 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fried your flash .. how do you know?

I had a Norman 400b cap blow during a wedding. It was like a gun shot

Mar 27, 2012 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.