Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
       32              333       334       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #1 · p.31 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Fujichrome Velvia film and I would presume the setting on the camera would have its place if you want for landscape and nature photos. It certainly would not have the place for doing portraits.

Rich

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:29 PM
justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #2 · p.31 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Yeah, I'd skip the Velvia setting. For landscape or anything else.

It's VERY easy to add contrast and saturation in post, and much more difficult to get back stuff that was crushed in making the jpg initially.

Best to have a high DR, low/moderate contrast, moderate saturation file to start from (that's half the argument for RAW) than something baked so particularly.

I actually prefer the original shot to the processed one... because the processed one looks even MORE contrasty and saturated.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:49 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.31 #3 · p.31 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thank you gentlemen!

I have concluded that: Velvia is not necessary with this camera to get the sharp contrasty images that I like. Also, yes I am guilty of sliding contrast and saturation up a little to often and too much.

However, I also have seen that what I see on my monitor is pretty much what other people have on theirs - so my screen is not off in any dramatic way.

Lastly, the images when resized and put up on FM forums do not look as good compared to putting them up on Facebook, Zeiss or DP galleries at 5 megs and above.

Here is the same scene shot today - standard film emulation, only adjustment was a -0.3 exposure bias. OOC Jpeg - I would say this was pretty much what I was expecting in both color and contrast. I hope this is not too contrasty and over-saturated on your monitor. The second image is what looks best to me - a slight crop and highlights reduced just a tad.

X-Pro1    XF35mmF1.4 R lens    35mm    f/10.0    1/250s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

X-Pro1    XF35mmF1.4 R lens    35mm    f/10.0    1/250s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Dec 13, 2012 at 05:18 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.31 #4 · p.31 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Yup, those look much more natural to me.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.31 #5 · p.31 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

@ Jochenb, who wrote:

A lot of the time I'm using the Fuji RAW files. I made a custom color profile with an x-rite colorchecker passport. This way you get much more natural results to start from.

Can you explain more about this, please? Cheers, KL

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.31 #6 · p.31 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Kit Laughlin wrote:
@ Jochenb, who wrote:

Can you explain more about this, please? Cheers, KL

You make a photo of this in neutral light. The included software then recognises all the colors and generates a camera profile.
Now when editing a RAW file in Lightroom, you can choose your custom made profile in the menu "camera calibration". I'm getting much better neutral results this way. The standard "adobe 2012" profile Lightroom chooses isn't right.
I noticed this very well when I made some photos of someone in a blue t-shirt. It looked more greenish with the standard profile and I just couldn't get it right... until I made my own profile.
I recommend this kit.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.31 #7 · p.31 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I have the x-rite colorchecker passport; but do not have the software. Is this available from their site? TIA, Kit

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.31 #8 · p.31 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I have the x-rite colorchecker passport; but do not have the software. Is this available from their site? TIA, Kit

Oh ok.
It came with my colorchecker. I don't know if it's available on their website.
You can also use the "Adobe Lens Profile Downloader", it's a free tool available on Adobe's website.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:16 PM
doowop42
• •
p.31 #9 · p.31 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

This was a jpeg with some PP.

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:33 PM
agentbird
• • •
p.31 #10 · p.31 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Hi lovely people of this lovely thread
Lots of amazing pictures in this thread, and I've been contemplating a X-Pro1.
After seeing an adapter on eBay which lets me use my old Canon 50mm 0.95 I have decided that I'm going to pick up either a X-pro1 or an X-E1.

But I have some questions to help me decide, and I really appreciate if any of you could help me out.

If shooting with an adapter and my old lens, I understand that there will be no communication between the camera and the lens and therefore I would have to shoot on full manual, this is of no worry to me. But I wonder how it is to focus with the viewfinder on the X-pro1. Do I have to have it on "EVF" mode or can I shoot with the optical viewfinder?
If I have to use the EVF, should I just get the X-E1?

I think I prefer the size of the X-E1, since I'm after something smaller than my D800E.

Any help much, much appreciated.

Anton.

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

h00ligan
• • • •
p.31 #11 · p.31 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

If you want to get fancy pants you make several.

Camera a - sun
Camera a - shade
Camera a- cloudy
Camera a - my living room.

Camera b - repeat above.

It's great for normalizing colors and its a prett quick one time setup per camera. It's very helpful when shooting am event with bodies from different manufacturers.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:10 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.31 #12 · p.31 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

agentbird wrote:
Hi lovely people of this lovely thread
Lots of amazing pictures in this thread, and I've been contemplating a X-Pro1.
After seeing an adapter on eBay which lets me use my old Canon 50mm 0.95 I have decided that I'm going to pick up either a X-pro1 or an X-E1.

But I have some questions to help me decide, and I really appreciate if any of you could help me out.

If shooting with an adapter and my old lens, I understand that there will be no communication between the camera and the lens and therefore I would have to shoot on
...Show more

Anton,
The XE1 is much smaller than the Xpro1. No way of seeing changes in the OVF when using MF lenses since its mirrorless but to me its rather easy using the EVF which is quite good. I don't need focus peaking personally as I have 20/10 vision but I can see it would make a world of difference for most but don't think it's in the cards for a FW update with Fuji anytime soon. One thing you will see in the OVF on the Xpro1 when using MF lenses , is that after you input the appropriate length for the lens in the menu, the frame lines will change to reflect the focal length you are using.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.31 #13 · p.31 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Anton, I use a Rokkor 50/1.4 with the X-E1, and focussing is relatively easy. And two magnifications are offered, too (the 3x is perfect when hand-holding; I would only use the 10x off a tripod). hth, kl

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.31 #14 · p.31 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Great stuff here! Finally got my X-E1 today and took it for a test run, and boy do I love the jpg output of this baby!

Phil

X-E1    41mm    f/4.0    1/80s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:48 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.31 #15 · p.31 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Another...

Phil

X-E1    23mm    f/5.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:36 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.31 #16 · p.31 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Great stuff here! Finally got my X-E1 today and took it for a test run, and boy do I love the jpg output of this baby!

Phil

That kit lens isn't that bad is it? I have been able to handhold down to 1/30th and its sharp as can be.

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:37 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.31 #17 · p.31 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

bigkidneys wrote:
That kit lens isn't that bad is it? I have been able to handhold down to 1/30th and its sharp as can be.

bigkidneys,

Oh its an awesome kits zoom lens hands down, I pretty much got rid of my primes to simplify my Fuji kit and this zoom is all I need, the IS helps big time

Phil

X-E1    22mm    f/5.6    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:41 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.31 #18 · p.31 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

A couple today while walking around Pensacola's oldest cemetery.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.31 #19 · p.31 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Two more...

No worries, he's only sleeping...

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.31 #20 · p.31 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Tough question guys. Buy the 18/2 and hope the XE-1 drops after the new years or just take advantage of the $1,400 deal and get the XE-1 & zoom instead? I usually don't shoot zooms, but it seems pretty awesome. Thoughts?

Dec 16, 2012 at 02:24 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password