New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

stargazer78
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

I was curious how Canon's new Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) would work. It's a feature found in the latest DPP that was included with the 5D3. Canon has not made the latest DPP available for download yet. But I was able to acquire a copy through unofficial means.

To appy the DLO feature, DPP will need to download profiles for each of your lenses. The profile for my 24-105L was over 50 megabytes big! Applying DLO to a RAW file is also very processor intensive. It takes my desktop computer nearly 40 seconds to process just one RAW file. It also doubles the size of the RAW file.

Is it worth all that trouble? Judge for yourselves...

EOS 5D Mark II with 17-40L
f/16 @ 1/60 sec @ ISO 200

I selected an f/16 exposure because Canon claims DLO can partially reverse the effects of diffraction. RAW file was processed through DPP and chromatic aberration corrected for all. Converted to TIFF. Created 100% crops and saved as Quality 10 JPEGs. First set have no sharpening applied to either images. Next set will have some sharpening applied to both.

http://i39./2gucbyr.jpg
http://i39./sbjzwg.jpg

http://i39./n1wleo.jpg
http://i41./2s92fza.jpg

http://i41./dyotue.jpg
http://i44./2wfsn6d.jpg

EDIT: It looks like the image hosting site (tinypic) has resampled some of the original JPEG files to something with much, much lower bitrate. That wasn't the case when I started this thread last night. I'm guessing the files must've reached a bandwidth limit at tinypic recently. Consequently, these sample crops are no longer representative of what they originally looked like coming out of DPP.

Edited on Mar 22, 2012 at 06:49 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Very impressive... you can clearly see much more detail and real improvements in the images.

Thanks for sharing!

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

truly amazing, thanks!!!

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM
MG_BRN

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Better upgrade my Computer .. The difference is amazing

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Whats your computer specs?

Andy

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Would a 12-core machine with 10Gb of RAM be enough?

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM
stargazer78
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

ifxbonz wrote:
Whats your computer specs?

Intel Q6600 Quad Core @ 2.4 GHz with 6.0 GB RAM

It's an older computer. And I'm guessing that DPP doesn't even take advantage of multicore processors. I'm sure newer computers will do better than 40 seconds.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Thank you,

I'm a quad core with 12 gigs of dd3 ram 2.4ghz 64bit

Andy

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

cameron12x wrote:
Would a 12-core machine with 10Gb of RAM be enough?

A lot of this is going to depend on how multi-threaded DPP is, i.e., how efficiently DPP uses those additional cores. Given the nature of the calculations, it would be really great if DPP could make use of the graphics card to accelerate performance. Frankly, I don't hold out much hope in this regard. An interesting test, if the OP is on Windows, would be to start processing an image with the DLO then open Task Manager to monitor the processor core utilization.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM
stargazer78
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

SeverianTL wrote:
An interesting test, if the OP is on Windows, would be to start processing an image with the DLO then open Task Manager to monitor the processor core utilization.

I took a peek at the resource monitor on Windows 7 64-bit during the DLO process. And it looks to me like all four CPU's are being put to work equally by DPP. I guess I mis-underestimated Canon's software engineers.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

That's great then. So the more cores and the more RAM the better.

"Mis-underestimating" Canon seem to be a favorite pastime around here. I do it all the time.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Have you tried it for shots taken with a middling aperture instead of f/16?

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Shame it doesnt work with Lightroom :-(

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

It is indeed very impressive. However there is noise increase. Check out the sky areas.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

morganb4 wrote:
Shame it doesnt work with Lightroom :-(

Can't you just apply this DLO effect, then edit further in LR/PS?

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Fred Miranda wrote:
It is indeed very impressive. However there is noise increase. Check out the sky areas.

I noticed that exact spot as well. Can't get everything without losing/paying something.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Fred Miranda wrote:

Does that mean it's just sharpening the image which is why the noise is more visible? Seems like the same result as sharpening. I don't know the underlying algorithms, but I'm cautiously skeptical.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

Fred Miranda wrote:

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
Does that mean it's just sharpening the image which is why the noise is more visible? Seems like the same result as sharpening. I don't know the underlying algorithms, but I'm cautiously skeptical.

I believe the answer to your question can be observed by comparing the "DLO + no USM" sample against the "no DLO + USM" sample. You should be able to see sharpening artifacts in the latter that are absent in the former; e.g., the boundary of high-contrast regions exhibits a sawtooth artifact. So it does look like the DLO algorithm is doing something more sophisticated than simple unsharp masking.

That said, it must be clarified that whatever Canon is doing to improve the sharpness of the image, it is a *form* of sharpening. What they claim, however, is that their algorithm takes into account the optical properties of the specific lens used. If true, then diffraction softness can be significantly mitigated as we have seen here. Unsharp masking, of course, is agnostic toward the optical system's characteristics--it works only with the original input data.

Unless their algorithm also takes into account various lens aberrations, I would not expect it to be useful for shots taken at apertures faster than about f/5.6 - f/8.

Regarding Fred's point--that noise appears to have increased as a result of applying DLO--this might be because (1) a small amount of "traditional" sharpening is automatically applied; or (2) deconvolution of the signal with respect to the point spread function may also have the effect of increasing the visibility of shot noise, due to the reversal of the spread.

If indeed this works as claimed, I think I'm going to be very eager to try reprocessing some of my shots--fortunately for me, I've always used DPP rather than Lightroom or Aperture as my raw converter, instead preferring to do final edits in Photoshop. This workflow suits me quite well and the best part is that I can now apply this DLO algorithm to my raw file, output the image as 16 bit TIFF, and then just paste it into a new layer on top of my PSD file, without having to redo all the PS edits.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM
RazorTM
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

From what I remember from reading the Luminous Landscape forums, this is called deconvolution sharpening, and basically yes, it uses the lenses' properties to work backwards to eliminate the effect of diffraction. Apparently, Lightroom does this to a small extent to eliminate the blur from the AA filter, but isn't extremely effective because it doesn't have a very good model for each lens like this new Canon system. When you move the Detail slider to 0 on the sharpening portion of the Develop module, you're using 0% deconvolution sharpening, and when you move it toward 100, you're using 100% deconvolution sharpening (0% USM sharpening).

Anyways, it was a very long thread with a lot of information which I probably got messed up in my head, so read it for yourself:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45038.0

Mar 22, 2012 at 02:08 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon's New Digital Lens Optimizer

So this Digital Lens Optimizer is just for dealing with diffraction?

Mar 22, 2012 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.