Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              12       13       end

Archive 2012 · Ricoh GXR images

sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · Ricoh GXR images

Testing the Ricoh. i want to take it with me on a trip to Cuba together with the DP2M.
Traveling light.

Michiel

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:49 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel; I think they would make a nice pairing.

Do you have any wide angles? The streets in Habana are quite narrow in places. Back when I was there I used the 21 Biogon for Contax G2 a lot, and the X-Pan.

I have the VC15/4.5 as my widest for the GXR and I think it would fit the bill too.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:12 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.8 #3 · Ricoh GXR images

Kosmokatten; I was wondering about charging battery? Hard? Do they have 110 volts American plugs?

I have the VC 15 and Zeiss biogon 25 and for the rest I think I'll take the Jupiter-12 35mm, Leica 'cron 50/2 and Elmarit 90/2.8. Everything nice and small.
I love the Jupiter-8 50/2 for portraits, but I think I leave that at home.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:19 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.8 #4 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel: I honestly couldn't tell. I was there back in the FILM days.

The standard on the newer hotels are European standard, 220V and two prongs but there are many hotels that might still run the old 110V. As do most Cuban homes and older hotels.

Here you have some current () info on electricity in Cuba:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c104286/Cuba:Caribbean:Electricity.html

Lens choice:
Wide to normal works well. There will be lots of details too so the 90mm is not a bad idea at all.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:30 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.8 #5 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel,

The Ricoh kit should suit you well for travel purposes. When I want some discretion, I love using the Ricoh, especially without the EVF as you look like a clueless tourist holding the camera out for focus . My CV15 and ZM25 see the most use, giving me the fields of view I'm used to.

That being said, here are some from Sydney using the CV35/1.2 II. It's a better lens than I give it credit for, and had to sub in for the ZM35/2.8 which needs to go to the shop for a lube.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:10 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.8 #6 · Ricoh GXR images

Uscmatt99; Love that bar shot, so crisp. BTW don't eat to much salt on your fry's

Yeah, it all will fit in a nice little bag. I'll have to buy a lot of SD cards though. i am not going to lug a notebook around.

Henrik?; Thanks, good info. I'll only have to buy one american flatpin plug.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:39 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.8 #7 · Ricoh GXR images

Come on now I am craving for a burger

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:09 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.8 #8 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel, very welcome.

The facades in Habana are decaying and very photogenic, as are the people. You will have lots and lots of photo ops.

/ Henrik

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:24 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.8 #9 · Ricoh GXR images

Guys, a cross-post from a couple other threads, in case you're not following one of those - I posted my 21mm rangefinder lens shootout review, including some with the GXR: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?page_id=130

The four lenses compared were the new Voigtlander 21/1.8, Leica 21/1.4, Zeiss ZM 21/2.8 and Leica 21/3.4 ASPH. On the GXR I think the 21/3.4 is the best performer for edge to edge performance, right from wide open. If you need speed, the Voigtlander is worth considering. While it's a bit soft towards the image edges wide open, it improves considerably by f/4. It's the best all-round solution, in terms of price/performance ratio, if you don't mind the size, which considering the built-in hood, is about the same length as the Voigtlander 35/1.2 II with its hood attached. It's also really nice on the NEX-7, but with a bit of purple fringing, though no more than any of the other lenses in the test.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.8 #10 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks a lot Ron! Great read! You have so much technical knowledge that it dazzles me sometimes
But it gives so much good information and still the choice is difficult for me. I always like the Zeiss rendering, but see also the advantages of the VC.
It is a pity you don't have the Carl Zeiss ZM 21mm F/4.5 C-Biogon as well because I was also considering that one because it seems to be so distortion free. (Great for my Windowdressing and Facedes series) But then you can't have everything. Luckely I do have 25 Biogon which is sufficient for most situations in that respect.

Glad you didn't forget those rare GXR users

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

uscmatt99
• •
p.8 #11 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron,

That's an outstanding review, thanks so much for all the time you took putting that together. While I'm a fan of the Zeiss look at heart, I've been coming around on the CV 35/1.2II recently. If the 21/1.8 shares it's rendering to a degree, I'm a happy camper. I've probably used the ZM25/2.8 more than any of my other M-mount lenses due to preference for the field of view on the GXR, but I often find myself wanting for more light or lens speed. It seems that the perfect addition to the arsenal for me right now would be the CV21/1.8, and that it should transition well if and when I get the new M-240.

By the way I completely agree with you regarding the built-in hoods. It's painful using filters on the CV15/4.5, I'm constantly smudging up the polarizing filter. The CV21 petals look even deeper But it's a small price to pay given the overall performance I suppose.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.8 #12 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks guys!

Michiel, my Zeiss dealer, Rob at the Rangefinder Store, here in Canada, said he would have loaned me the 21/4.5 if he had a demo copy of it, which he unfortunately didn't. I'm quite curious to compare it against the 21 SEM, though the 21/4.5 will not play very nicely on the M9. Back when I first got the M9 I briefly tried the 21/4.5 on it and there were a lot of issues. But I recall that early in the GXR release period there was some discussion about this lens and that it does work nicely...

Matt, it's been a while since I've really used the 35/1.2. I should take it out again and give it another spin, with some comparison against the 21/1.8. The hood petals on the 21 are much deeper than the 15. Back a while ago I recall there was a post on a forum where someone actually cut off the hood. It's probably possible with the 21 as well.

A photo from the GXR and 21/4.5 as posted in the review...

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.8 #13 · Ricoh GXR images

Looks good Ron! But the new VC is probably more versatile.

But no lens buying for me at the moment because I am preparing a trip.
Took the Elmarit 135 out to test again, because I am doubting to take it with me to Cuba. Because it is big and heavy. I think I might as well take the C/Y Zeiss 80-200 with an adapter for the Ricoh. Not heavyer but bigger and more versatile for when you need the longer reach.
That is one big lens and for the rest small lenses and the Sigma DP2M.

Anyway, here is the good old harbour again.

Michiel

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:40 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.8 #14 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel, personally I would not bring anything over 90mm for Cuba. I brought lenses in the 21 to 90mm range and the most used ones were wides to 45mm. And the X-pan of course.

I just traded away my Tele-Elmar 135/4, actually a great lens. Quite compact and balanced nicely on the GXR. Very sharp from wide open and overall nice imaging characteristics.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.8 #15 · Ricoh GXR images

Yeah, your probably right.
I always tend to take to much with me and in the end you only use a few lenses.
And I do want to travel light. A fast lens may be? (Rokkor 58/1.2)

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.8 #16 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel: not so much for the outdoor shots.
Plenty of light, even in the shade.
I did good with my fastest lens being an f2 and ISO 100 film. I even have some indoor shots with f2 and f2.8 and 160 speed film.

When are you leaving for Cuba?

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:56 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.8 #17 · Ricoh GXR images

Still some time. The beginning of februari. Have to go to France first.

I leave it to my original kit then. Only have to buy some 32 GB cards.

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:15 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.8 #18 · Ricoh GXR images

I know this is off topic and I beg a thousand pardons, but while I dally in SLR land for awhile, I do still pick up the GXR. I can't believe how small it feels after hefting around a D800 all day. The difference has made me rethink about how small is small enough; I could go a little bigger and would welcome a built in finder in the GXR (or some other M digital camera).

One thing I've missed... M mount sure has a selection of nice wide primes to choose from. My perception may be poorly informed but it feels like there are fewer choices in F mount. I ended up going to Sigma's newest for 35mm focal length. This comparison made me laugh. Or wince - not sure.

The lens is substantially heavier too.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.8 #19 · Ricoh GXR images

That lens is massive!

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Pic One

p.8 #20 · Ricoh GXR images

I presume you meant that the people are photogenic only... And not decaying? :-)

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:08 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password