Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8              12       13       end

Archive 2012 · Ricoh GXR images

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks for reviving this thread Michiel. I was going to post the images below last week, but never got around to it. Really like the NewYorker and sunset images! Are you still using the GXR, despite adding the DP2M?
Great vacation image Matt!
Nice set WeeSin - I find temples very interesting for photo opportunities.

Just a late autumn walk in the woods. I kept the 90 Summarit on the GXR and use the M9 with the rest of my lenses..

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:46 PM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · Ricoh GXR images

Nice one's Ron! Watch out for those snakes!

Yes I still use the Ricoh. The first one to go would be the NEX-7, compared to both the Ricoh and the Sigma, fuzzy files, although there is a lot of room in PP. Actually the Sony files need the most PP of them all. But I like the EVF and focus peaking so much, so all cameras stay till may be the Leica M or some FF mirrorless alternative with EVF.

Kind regards, Michiel

(I posted a Mirrell image, so confused one can get with all those different cameras)

One of the Harbour of Dieppe

Edited on Nov 20, 2012 at 08:55 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.7 #3 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks Ron! I like #2, who says one can't shoot wildlife with a Ricoh? You even got the tongue flicking out, not an easy feat with the Ricoh's FPS capabilities

Michiel, I could peruse harbor photos all day long. Nice capture of a wonderful subject.

I changed up my gear a bit recently, sold a D700, and got a D600. It's really made using my ZF glass easier on a tripod, so the Nikon setup (usually with a 35/1.4 and 100/2) is seeing way more use than the Ricoh. But the Ricoh is still the king of portable great IQ on my shelf. At some point I'll make the costly transition to the new M, but for now my setup is meeting all of my needs quite nicely.

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:32 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.7 #4 · Ricoh GXR images

Thank you uscmatt99 for the kind words!

Seems like everybody finally moves on to Leica The M is very tempting but expensive though!
Although I could start right away with the lenses I already have.

Here is one more harbour related shot,

Michiel

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.7 #5 · Ricoh GXR images

Nothing special here, just a snapshot of a rare fall sunny day in Vancouver. ZM25 clean edge to edge as usual on the GXR, seemingly (and sadly) the only non-Leica camera on which it will do so.

Have been shooting some film lately just to remember the feel of 135 format shooting again. Fun, but slow (my part mostly) turnaround reminds me why I left film every time I get the itch.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:22 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.7 #6 · Ricoh GXR images

Had a quick morning stroll in Stanley Park on the way home after dropping my youngest off at a ski hill on the north shore.

Lately I've been lusting for more pixels and smoother out of focus areas. The ZM25 isn't bad farther out but can be a little nervous closer in. Sure am finding it hard not to like the look of the Sony RX1 but would all things being equal rather have some lens flexibility coupled with the nice sensor in that camera. Choices.

Dec 16, 2012 at 09:14 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.7 #7 · Ricoh GXR images

Michael,

My experience echos yours regarding the ZM25. Awesome stopped down, not the greatest out of focus rendering wide open. Unfortunately there is no other great option outside of Leica if you're shooting rangefinder glass on a crop sensor to maintain the 35-40mm field of view. I can't wait to bite the bullet and get either an M9 or the new M, so I can use my CV 35/1.2 and ZM35/2.8 as intended. The rendering throughout the aperture range for each lens is more pleasing to me than the ZM25, but I just don't get along well with the 50mm field of view on the cropper.

I've been shooting my ZF35/1.4 on a D600 a lot more recently. Painful to carry around, but it gives me the look I like at large apertures and stopped down, and tripod live-view shooting is much better with the D600 than the D700.

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:25 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.7 #8 · Ricoh GXR images

Hey Matt, I'm on the same page. I find 35mm field of view so useful but there is such a difference when popping a real 35 on a full frame sensor or film. I've shot a few rolls of film lately just to remember what the look was like and I'm afraid that has not been healthy for my future bank account balance.

Came >this< close to buying the Sony RX1 just to get the look again, but cancelled my order yesterday morning. Someone else at the store called me in the afternoon to let me know their RX1s came in and did I still want one. I'm glad I made the decision before hand.

I wish I could justify the M9 but if I'm honest the new M really would be the right fit for me for the long run and I just can't justify the dollars on that one. I'm taking a step back and rethinking things - I might go simpler for small cameras and for everything else buy a modern DSLR after all. I don't think we'll see an interchangeable full frame RX1-like camera from Sony or Fujifilm or anyone for at least a couple of years and even then if the RX1 is any guide the first one will be priced rather high (justifiable at first for sure) and the accessories will be priced like unobtainium.

With a DSLR I'd get back some capabilities I've not had in a long time except on film. There's some appeal to me in that.

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:46 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.7 #9 · Ricoh GXR images

Yes the ZM25 is perfect for all around sharpness, but not for OOF areas.
BTW uscmatt99, how is that Compact ZM 35/2.8 I hear a lot of people at the RF forun rave about it.
As it seems a very underestemated lens. Is that true?

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:48 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.7 #10 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel - agree. Used for what it suits best the ZM25 is fantastic and can be fantastic even on crop, but for use close in it's at a disadvantage to a real 35mm on 135 format.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uscmatt99
• •
p.7 #11 · Ricoh GXR images

sculptormic wrote:
Yes the ZM25 is perfect for all around sharpness, but not for OOF areas.
BTW uscmatt99, how is that Compact ZM 35/2.8 I hear a lot of people at the RF forun rave about it.
As it seems a very underestemated lens. Is that true?

I love the rendering of the 35/2.8. I prefer a Zeiss-ish look to my photos, so I am biased, but I'll take the ZM 35/2.8 from 2.8 on up over the CV 35/1.2 every day of the week, unless I'm in really contrasty conditions. I really only have used the 35/1.2 when I'm expecting to be in lower light, or want that degree of depth of field control. The compact biogon has nicer (to my eyes) out of focus rendering than its bigger brother the ZM 35/2, though you do lose the stop. But the 35/2 will have better across the frame excellence stopped down if you look at the MTFs.

Handling wise, the C-Biogon is great on the GXR. Paired with the CV 15/4.5 I have a super compact kit. Unfortunately, I need to send it in for servicing as the helicoid has tightened up a lot near the infinity side of the focus throw. This is the first problem I've had with a Zeiss lens (I own 4), so hopefully it's addressed under warranty.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:49 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.7 #12 · Ricoh GXR images

Found a few from the C-Biogon on the GXR. It's hard to tell what I've shot with it when I go through most of my photos as I'm lazy about changing the lens setting on the body when I switch lenses. This was fortunately a labelled gallery.

Sorry if these have been posted before, some from Kalamazoo. If it helps I can dig up some wide-open images to show the rendering.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.7 #13 · Ricoh GXR images

Regarding the ZM35/2.8, I compared it against the CV35/1.2II on the NEX-5N here.

I guess draw your own conclusions, but IMO, the CV has slightly more pleasing background blur at equivalent apertures. But, I have not retested this on the GXR to rule out any funny business by the 5N's sensor (toppings) towards the image periphery that might be causing the nervous ZM rendering. IIRC, a while back Michael compared a couple ZM lenses on the 5N and GXR, showing the GXR has a smoother peripheral rendering...

At least on the M9, the ZM35/2.8 will show nice background blur, but it also depends on camera to subject to background ratios.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:03 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.7 #14 · Ricoh GXR images

Thank you Uscmatt, Michael en Ron! It is defenitly on my wish list. i like the compactness and what I see from the shown images.
Ron, actually I had seen your comparison before some time ago but must have forgotten about it.
I like the crispiness/contrast of the Zeiss lenses. For many ocasions in my way of shooting, it would be perfect.

My only problem is that I am on the fence, without knowing which way I go from here.
I really would like to go Full Frame, and use my Alt lens collection. That narrows my choice, for the moment, somehow between Canon an the new Leica M.
Don't think I wanne spend that amount for a Leica. I am thinking about a Canon 6D and use my C/Y Zeiss lenses and lots of others on it. Would like to get know more about the mirror blockage
of the 6D. That will take some time, i suppose.

Well we will see what will happen in the near future on the FF front. (Ricoh and Pentax are awfully silent )

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:23 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.7 #15 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron, I do remember going through your comparison thread, which was very helpful. The CV wins for smoother out of focus elements for the most part compared to either ZM, but I find the clarity of the in focus elements to be superior with either ZM. The C-Biogon is, for me, a nice mix of the qualities of the CV35/1.2 and ZM35/2.

Michiel, while crop sensors have come a long way, there is not doubt that larger sensors have a lot to offer beyond the change in field of view, DR and ISO performance. One thing I really like with my 35/1.4 on the FX sensor is the vignetting and effects of field curvature you get when using more of the lens' projected image circle. You lose this with the lenses on the GXR, even though you get "more optimal" across the frame performance. There is more dimension to my FX images. Since you already have C/Y lenses, why not go for it? Even a used older Canon body would let you try it out for less. For me personally, I'd prefer to get to a point where all of my manual focus photography is with a digital M, and my AF and flash stuff would be on the Nikon.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:35 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.7 #16 · Ricoh GXR images

Too clinical is a fair way to describe some lenses on the GXR. Apparently the image circle edges which are excluded from the crop are important for... art.

I've been looking over at the autofocus + DSLR dark side lately as well as the RX1 but I've concluded the RX1, while it would be a great carry-everywhere 35mm camera, is just too one sided for me to allocate that many dollars to. I might reduce what I spend on small cameras and nice lenses for them and instead focus the small stuff on portability at modest cost while putting more of my dollars elsewhere.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:33 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.7 #17 · Ricoh GXR images

Thank you everyone for keeping the thread nose above water.

I haven't had time at all this year and even had to cancel paid photo work in order to avoid mental break down. I will probably do some work with the GXR during the holidays (props have arrived ) and if I get permission from the client I will post the shots here. I can say that they will be slightly different from what's been posted before. Cough.

Anyway, I just heard that Ricoh has revealed that they have some new products lined up for 2013... ...and that they will probably appeal to the core fans according to the Ricoh rep interviewed by a Japanese camera magazine as part of an article where they interview several camera companies on their plans for 2013.

I am not sure what we will be seeing though I know what I would like to see.

Anyway, keep it up folks, I just wanted to stop by and say hi and hello, seasonal gratings all around!

/ Henrik

PS

I have been using the GXR with the Voigt 15mm though it has been docu work for my on site carpentry work so there hasn't been anything worth posting here. Too boring. I played with the idea of dressing up the cats for X-mas and post here just for gags but I can't get them out from under the bed now and my scratched arms are bleeding profusely so I am off for a tetanus shot. Nah, seriously, I love cats but dressing up cats isn't our bag. It was meant to be in jest but then again that could backfire and people might think it would be a serious attempt or that I would be a sucker for santa. Which I am not.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.7 #18 · Ricoh GXR images

Hmm... appeal to their core fans... FF GRD 28/1.9 w/EVF? OK, I'd settle for 28mm equivalent with the RX100 sensor. Without re-reading what I've posted here, I may have mentioned I'm not using my GXR a lot either. Something with the EVF is buggered, resulting in extremely posterized images, though the mode 2 focus assist looks normal.

My guess is if Ricoh releases an upgraded version, we're probably going to have to buy both the new body and module to take full advantage of whatever improvements they make (perhaps if anything, for better speed). If they can get it in the ballpark of the 5N/5R/6 in terms of sensor performance, but RF lens optimized, I will likely be interested. But... there's also the new Leica M, which might just rule out any GXR offering, since I'm already in the M camp and it's the primary reason I don't use the GXR much...

Henrik - cats are too dignified to be dressed up like that (especially your beautiful cat(s)). Dogs on the other hand...

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:58 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.7 #19 · Ricoh GXR images

I've been playing around with a Nikon D800 and I have to tell you I miss my Zeiss optics. On the other hand, I'm enjoying using a DSLR again... it's been a long time. The new Leica M definitely appeals to me as a more well rounded package of capabilities except AF of course, but the price sadly does not appeal to me.

Was infatuated with the Sony RX1 and even though it seems built well enough, for a Sony mini camera, it pales in comparison to how solid the GXR feels to me. Like a step back. I did not buy one in the end.

I'd love a GRD with a bigger more capable sensor. I do want a nice photographer friendly compact if I end up adopting this D800 I'm checking out. Would love a full frame GXR with lots of other improvements or even a new fully integrated M mount specific GXR replacement... with built in EVF please.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:17 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.7 #20 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron/Michael: I guess what some (most?) of us are looking for either a truly pocketable large sensor compact with great optics - and/or a GXR successor that takes care of the shortcomings of today: EVF, Speed, Buffer, sensor size etc.

RON: let me know how it pans out with the EVF. I can help locate one on the cheap to replace it if necessary. I saw them in Bangkok for chump change last I was there so next time around they might be handing them out if I buy a leather strap. Nah, seriously, wait and see if there is a new EVF and if not we might be able to source one up.

Since Ricoh actually stated that they have given their all in the next releases and will come back strong I am looking forward to seeing what they bring to the plate. A FF Ricoh camera with exchangeable mount (Pentax K of course as a the base mount) perhaps?

A dedicated B&W AA-filterless camera I am sure is coming, but I am not sure that would be my first choice.

If I wasn't sure before I am less sure now, but I am glad that they are back in the game.

Since I have turned into a small camera guy I have looked at some options but so far I decided to ease off a system change a bit. I was thinking a NEX 6 with the Zeiss 12/2.8 and 50/2.8 would see me through but then again, I would miss a few key aspects of Ricoh handling and I am not sure the Zeiss 12/2.8 will even be made justice on the NEX sensor, even though it is a Distagon.

The Sigma Merrill DP1 and 2 offerings are very tempting for me (and that is a first) as niche cameras that would suit me just fine but again, no rush really.
I'd hate to get the DP1m only to see a GRD 28/1.9 FF (or even APS-C with 16MP) materialize one month later... ...I have been around Ricoh GR since the GR1s and V and followed through with the GRDII and IV. I regret not keeping the IV but since I have the A12/28 it was sort of a redundant camera at the time.

Time flies so right about when the snow starts melting there might be one out and in the mean time I won't worry about equipment.

M C to all of you, take care and keep up the good work!
/ Henrik

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password