New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

I'm looking for a small table top setup for some product photography, probably looking for a table tent / softbox setup about 2 feet square. This will be used to take pictures of a bunch of items that my mom wants to put on eBay. The best price I've found by far is through Cowboy Studio, but I'm a little turned off by the reviews of most of their products.

Can anyone suggest a product that is under about $40 that will fill this need? I can put together the lights on my own.

Mar 15, 2012 at 03:49 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

Nozzleforward wrote:
Can anyone suggest a product that is under about $40 that will fill this need? I can put together the lights on my own.

Easy. Back yard. Picnic table. Cloudy day (instant light tent).

If you want to get fancy, glue some black velvet on a piece of foam core for a subtractive reflector to give a little direction to your light.

Of course, what she is selling will influence your choice. Is it earrings or refrigerators? (I'm guessing from your light tent example something closer to earrings.

Mar 15, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

We have no shortage of cloudy days here in Seattle, but I may need to shoot these under an umbrella to stay dry

Most of the items are pretty small: Womens shoes, sunglasses, jewelery, pottery, crystal glass, etc.

Mar 15, 2012 at 03:58 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

This is about your size and price, but I have no experience with it.

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:04 PM
xtremediver
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

Put your lights behind a plain, inexpensive white bed sheet...cheap and effective.

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

I cut out the sides and top of a large-ish cardboard box, taped in a sweep, and threw a bed sheet around the sides and top as a diffuser. Then I set my flashes outside the sheet at different distances and angles.

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

Walmart has folding display board for under $10. You can even put another foam board on top to reflect down. They should also have a larger size as well.

display foamboard

You can put sheets in front of your lights. You can put velvet in back of your subject if you want a dark background for contrast.

A few things shot with folding foam boards on a table top:

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Rick Ryan

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

I received one of these as a gift. It works pretty well and stores very easily into it's own case.
Sunpak eBox

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Rick Ryan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

Oh, I almost forgot...
Here is a sample photo taken with the eBox.

Lens

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

I've been using a piece of white poster board sitting on my kitchen stove for a few years...it wraps up the back like a mini-cyc. I used to just bounce an on-camera flash off the ceiling, but for the last few months I've just been putting a light on a stand with a big umbrella...it's more consistent and it recycles instantly (WL X3200 @ 1/4). I also get f11/ISO 100 with the big light, and was only getting f5.6/ISO200 with the speedlight. Either works ok though if you don't mind bumping your ISO. I've taken I don't know how many hundreds of pictures with this setup, and it works great for anything small enough to fit on the board. It also costs about $1.50 if you already have the lights and camera. Here's a couple random shots taken with it...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/toolbox007/ebay/Ebay%207/Asahi%20Auto%20Takumar%2055mm%20f2%202/IMG_0009-2.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/toolbox007/ebay/Ebay%206/Argus%20C44%20100mm%20Cintagon/IMG_0013.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/toolbox007/ebay/Ebay%207/Konica%20T3%20with%2050mm%20f1%207/IMG_0017-3.jpg

Usually use the 35/2...wide angle is nice because it'll focus really close.

Mar 15, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I'll swing by the store on my way home and see if I can get a piece of poster board and mess with this when I get home. Maybe I'll take some shots to replace the horrible ones I uploaded to the B&S earlier today...

Mar 15, 2012 at 06:07 PM
bihani

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestion for small tabletop setup

@Scott, I'm also using the same setup, with speed light in homemade softbox.
the one thing I noticed, even though subject is well lit, the white board does not look white, it has some gray shade to it.

does anyone has suggestions to get it white?

Mar 18, 2012 at 03:21 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.