New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR4 Win running slowly

PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR4 Win running slowly

Soo... I'm processing my first wedding with LR4 and on the same PC and under the same conditions it's running WAY slower in develop mode than LR3.

It seems to be hitting the disk with literally every little thing that I want to change, which causes a delay in operation - 2-3 seconds. For example, while I'm trying to change white balance, every little change to the white balance slider causes a disk operation meaning it's really hard to find the right value.

Anyone else experienced this? Anyone found a "fix"? Or have they just released a product which was (seemingly due to all of the bugs) just not ready yet? Or have I somehow done something stupid (but I've been using LR for 3 years...)

(Nothing else is happening on my computer, which is a pretty powerful beast with loads of RAM).

Mar 13, 2012 at 06:22 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR4 Win running slowly

The same hapend when LR 3 was released. But starting with LR 3.2, they adressed the issue.

Mar 13, 2012 at 07:06 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR4 Win running slowly

I hope they do.

For anyone else experiencing this, I've got a temporary workaround - set caching to go to a USB disk. Even my particularly fast c drive isn't fast enough it would seem

Mar 13, 2012 at 07:09 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR4 Win running slowly

By the way, there are a big difference between 2010 and 2012 process regarding final IQ of a RAW file ?Have you made a side-by-side comparison using the same RAW file ?

Mar 13, 2012 at 07:14 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR4 Win running slowly

I'm planning to download a 30 days trial of LR 4 but until than......

Mar 13, 2012 at 07:15 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR4 Win running slowly

gabimaster wrote:
By the way, there are a big difference between 2010 and 2012 process regarding final IQ of a RAW file ?Have you made a side-by-side comparison using the same RAW file ?

There doesn't seem to be a massive difference in terms of IQ for noise reduction that I can see, but I'm more pleased with the rendering of colours using my colour checker passport calibrated profiles. The highlight and shadow recovery is nothing short of amazing:

http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/index.php/2012/01/adobe-lightroom-4-beta-highlights-whites-slider/

I had to redo my presets, but it only took a few minutes. It does it's best job to provide a comparable starting point and as long as you do a side by side comparison I'm sure it'll not take long.

Mar 13, 2012 at 07:24 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR4 Win running slowly

I see, the difference it's not that big, but I'll upgrade even for the posibility to make photobooks in LR 4 !! Plus, I'm gonna make the big step in the full-frame league (5D MK3 is in my list ) and LR 3.6 does not support 5D MK3 's Raw files.

Mar 13, 2012 at 08:30 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR4 Win running slowly

Indeed it does... I'm on the preorder for a 5d3 Enjoy your new hardware and software!

Mar 13, 2012 at 08:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR4 Win running slowly

Phil I have much the same happen what are you system specs?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1092975

Mar 13, 2012 at 01:35 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR4 Win running slowly

It's a core i7 3.07, 12Gb ram, Win 7 64bit with very fast drives.

Mar 13, 2012 at 03:19 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR4 Win running slowly

Gulp , I think I will hold off my upgrades for a while then.

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:35 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR4 Win running slowly

FWIW, I'm running a core i5 at 3.30 8 gigs of ram on a SSD. No performance issues what so ever. I did have a little problem with transferring my keywords, but the more I think about it, the problem was mine.

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:58 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR4 Win running slowly

It would seem that the problem isn't everywhere... which is really annoying!!

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:12 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR4 Win running slowly

I was reading somewhere that the performance is related to bringing in your catalog and the conversions. if you dint import your catalog and assuming you don't have xmp files mixed in with your originals to re import it should do fine.

Andy

Mar 13, 2012 at 08:50 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR4 Win running slowly

ifxbonz wrote:
I was reading somewhere that the performance is related to bringing in your catalog and the conversions. if you dint import your catalog and assuming you don't have xmp files mixed in with your originals to re import it should do fine.

Andy

These are completely new catalogs created from scratch within LR4. I have a separate catalog per shoot - I find it much more convenient to do it that way..

Mar 14, 2012 at 05:43 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR4 Win running slowly

Hmm.. now I think about it they may not have been new catalogs. I'll get some completely fresh ones this weekend.

Mar 14, 2012 at 03:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.