Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

eventhestreets
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

So I've been using the beta version for the past week or so, and had been really enjoying the new developing setup and tools and the 2012 processing... however today I was shooting in the studio and doing some seamless white shots, and using the same setup with lighting placement/power and camera settings, etc. as usual... and my blinking highlights were turned on on my lcd as usual... and everything is good to go. In camera exposure is correct on subject, I'm blowing out the background and floor the way I want... no issues.
THEN I get home and import the images into LR4 and all the white that should be and was blown out, has now been retained, or culled back so only small parts are blown to white instead of all that I wanted. And now in order to get them to blow out properly I have to take the white slider all the way up to 100%, which in turn messes with the exposure on my model.
I'm really frustrated! I mean, awesome for adobe for being able to reign in the highlights in an image, but it messes up my seamless white workflow! When I bring these images back into LR3.5, the blown out areas are where they should be and how they were when I shot them. Not sure how I'm going to do seamless white with LR4 now.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-Jason

http://www.jasongaskinsphotography.com

Mar 10, 2012 at 04:44 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

Switch LR4 to the old process. I think it stinks, too.

Mar 10, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

The Adobe team made tweaks to the Whites and Highlights sliders for the production version. I think you will find it works better now than in the beta. You can download the trial and give that a shot if you are not sure about purchasing.

Adjusting the highlight end-point of the tone curve should also be effective in blowing out a white background.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:38 PM
eventhestreets
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

Eyeball wrote:
The Adobe team made tweaks to the Whites and Highlights sliders for the production version. I think you will find it works better now than in the beta. You can download the trial and give that a shot if you are not sure about purchasing.

Adjusting the highlight end-point of the tone curve should also be effective in blowing out a white background.

I am using the production version. =/

I guess I just need to experiment with it a little bit more.

Cheers,
-Jason

Mar 10, 2012 at 07:46 PM
Lance Lee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

What you are seeing jives with one of the new "features" in LR4. If I read it correctly, it sounds like they have designed the 2012 process to include some hightlight recovery, but without a way to turn it off. In most cases this would be helpful, but your situation is one where it is not.

Mar 11, 2012 at 07:04 AM
eventhestreets
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

Lance Lee wrote:
What you are seeing jives with one of the new "features" in LR4. If I read it correctly, it sounds like they have designed the 2012 process to include some hightlight recovery, but without a way to turn it off. In most cases this would be helpful, but your situation is one where it is not.

Agreed! I mean it I think it is awesome that the program is able to recover and reign in blown highlights like that, but def not good in situations like this. Especially when I shoot seamless white about every other day. I guess for now, I'll have to use the old processing for that work. Just seems like a real pain to have to keep switching. =/

If anybody has any advice or suggestions, I'm all for it.

Cheers,
-Jason

Mar 11, 2012 at 09:08 AM
eventhestreets
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

Here is side-by-side screenshot comparison of the images look when being processed by the default settings in each version of LR that I use.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7037/6972546251_2ae057554a_o.jpg

In camera and in LR 3.5 my highlights are completely blown how I want them. But then in LR 4, they automatically get retained. The retention of them in this image isn't as severe as some others I had. I had a few where it kept all of them in check from blowing out, even thought they were blown in 3.5.

Cheers,
-Jason

Mar 11, 2012 at 09:21 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

There is no doubt that the defaults have changed between the process versions (that's why they are separate process versions) but it still seems to me that you should be able to blow out the background without too much trouble. Did you try moving the end-point of the tone curve?

Mar 11, 2012 at 09:55 AM
eventhestreets
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

Eyeball wrote:
There is no doubt that the defaults have changed between the process versions (that's why they are separate process versions) but it still seems to me that you should be able to blow out the background without too much trouble. Did you try moving the end-point of the tone curve?

Yes, I can do that. But that doesn't fix the problem, that only makes things worse. When doing that kind of curves adjustment, it is applied globally, so the whole image gets the adjustment, therefore causing the subject to become over exposed (and particularly in this image her shirt to become blown out, which it isn't in the LR 3.5 version. Nor do I want it to be).

Cheers,
-Jason

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

What happens when you switch to the older process version?

Mar 12, 2012 at 05:01 AM
eventhestreets
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

tomrock wrote:
What happens when you switch to the older process version?

It's fine with the older process version. But if I'm going to have to switch process versions every time then it's kinda pointless for me to be running LR 4.

Cheers,
-Jason

Mar 12, 2012 at 07:38 AM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

I hear you. Is it important to you to have maps? Soft proofing? Books? Video? None of those mean much to me. So it's down to the new controls.

And I didn't have any issues with the old controls. But supposedly you can get to a result faster with the new controls than you could with the old.

You could have a preset for shooting on white but only you can decide if LR 4 is important to you.

It's the first version I didn't upgrade the day it became available.

Mar 12, 2012 at 08:21 AM
danmc
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

- my white background always has a color tint - it's the material, I use a brush with the exposure raised a stop in auto-mask mode to clean things up. This works great in v4.

Mar 12, 2012 at 09:56 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Seamless white LR 4 Issue?

Jason -
One additional thought I had was that you might want to try different camera profiles in LR4 and see if some react better to this type of treatment than others. You could also try creating your own custom profile in the DNG Profile Editor with the tone curve in the profile tweaked - kind of a pain but you would only need to do it once.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.