Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

I recently shipped a Canon EF 300/2.8L IS lens ($3950) from Canada to a buyer in the US via FedEx. Unfortunately, the sale fell through. He wouldn't pay the importing fee/tax of about $200. Just think, an extra $200 on top of the $4000 value of the lens. I warned him it would probably happen, and he was responsible to pay it. Maybe he got cold feet...

Anyway, the lens was returned to me by FedEx. I arrived home to see the normal FedEx door sticker that signifies they attempted to deliver, but nobody was home. I took the sticker inside with the intent to call them and have it held at the local depot for me to pick up the next day. A little later, I sat down at my desk and prepared to call FedEx. I checked the label to get the reference number and saw "left it on porch behind flower pot". !!

I flew outside and there it was, waiting for me. That's a pretty big matzoh ball to leave hanging out there...

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM
mgifotografie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

omg, how can they do that? Who's responsible in case the package wasn't behind the flower pot anymore?

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:15 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #3 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

SO they "hid it" behind something, but left a note on the door that it was (and where was) hidden at.

B R I L L A N T !!!

And buyer is a dillhole!

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

fedex only brings and holds packages at the depot that are direct sign only (extra cost).

after a regular delivery it's out of their hands and they have done their job.

the notice is a standardized form that can inform you of multiple options.

read your service agreements.

yes, the buyer was not user friendly and failed to understand the issues of cross border trade.

i'm hoping PP and you do have a level of recourse in recovering your losses. i really wouldn't want you to eat the whole bill on this fiasco.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

Hmmm. I think you're lost in the weeds on this one.

sjms wrote:
fedex only brings and holds packages at the depot that are direct sign only (extra cost).

after a regular delivery it's out of their hands and they have done their job.

I know this. I paid the extra cost. It was insured for full value $3950, and it was sent with signature required. Also, if they miss a delivery attempt and you get in touch before the next attempt, they're always happy to hold it at the depot, at least in Canada.

I've sold over 200 items on eBay with total value over $50k. I've had occasional problems with buyers and shippers, but nothing even approaching the potential damage from this.

Mar 10, 2012 at 02:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

then consider yourself quite the lucky one

Mar 10, 2012 at 02:34 PM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #7 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

Fedex sucks for sure

Mar 10, 2012 at 02:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

i use them all the time. no real issue once you understand how to do business with them.

Mar 10, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Mike Ganz
• • •
p.1 #9 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

luke0622 wrote:
Fedex sucks for sure

Why? I generally split 50-50 between USPS Priority and Fedex...never had a problem with either.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

I just have everything shipped to me at work. The office staff signs for everything, and my packages get left on my bench. No muss, no fuss, no hassle.

Mar 11, 2012 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

millsart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

I personally hate FedEx, at least in my area they have the laziest drivers around.

I'll be sitting here in my home office working, and expecting something delivered. After a while I'll check the tracking and it will say no one was home and they took it to my apt rental office.

They won't even bother knocking on the door, just automatically assume that no one is there.

My UPS guy always makes an attempt, same with USPS, but FedEx can't be bothered.

Taking it to the rental office isn't even the worst part, sometimes they will just leave it on the doorstep and not bother knocking.

Other times I've had lenses go to the neighbors door because they can't read an apt number I guess.

I'll again check tracking, see it says "left at front door", look outside and not see anything but then see a box down the hall, which just happens to have my name/address on it.

Really poor service

UPS, while often rougher in the handling, at least seems to have delivery drivers that take pride in their job. All the ones I've had are always very friendly and polite and always make and effort. Its a career for them and I've had the same route drivers for years.

FedEx (at least in my area) seems to have a different ex-con or high school dropout driving the route every week.

I'll take USPS, UPS, DHL, heck, even Prestige over FedEx anymore

Mar 12, 2012 at 05:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

i guess we all have a story or 2 for and against

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM
jlandaue
• • •
p.1 #13 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

Fedex drivers are "Irresponsible and Lazy", and always in a hurry. I live in a Miami apartment, In a few occasions I have expected my lens from the Canon Repair Center coming via Fedex. In two occasions I have taken the day off from work waiting for the day my lens is supposed to arrive, just waiting for Fedex to ring at my door. I have posted notes all around the walls and main door. Also there is a list the tenants living in the building. Despite all that information and they having the access keys to th building, they just put a note assuming that you are not there. They don't even attempt to take the elevator to the second floor and ring at my door. Instead the leave a note saying that "Customer was not available".

I tried to complain in two occasions to Fedex, but they make it very hard for customers to complain. In one of those times that I had no option but to pickup a the Fedex office, and a guy on the counter took my complain pretending he was the manager, but I can tell he was just protecting his coworkers.

I have beg to Canon not to send the lens via Fedex explaining the issue, and asked them to instead use UPS. But they told me there is nothing they can do.

UPS guys on the contrary are really professionals. I have always count on them to receive my packages.

Mar 19, 2012 at 02:24 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #14 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

jlandaue wrote:
Fedex drivers are "Irresponsible and Lazy", and always in a hurry.

Why the quotes?

I think the quality of service varies greatly by location. In our area, the Fedex drivers are very professional. I know our local driver by name, and she gives us excellent service. She frequently stays an extra minute for a chat.

Mar 19, 2012 at 03:22 AM
jlandaue
• • •
p.1 #15 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

DanBrown wrote:
Why the quotes?

I think the quality of service varies greatly by location. In our area, the Fedex drivers are very professional. I know our local driver by name, and she gives us excellent service. She frequently stays an extra minute for a chat.

I'm so happy for you. Fedex drivers in my location are rude and unfriendly. They just work like pizza delivery guys. Their driving is very agressive too !

Mar 19, 2012 at 03:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

runamuck wrote:
I just have everything shipped to me at work. The office staff signs for everything, and my packages get left on my bench. No muss, no fuss, no hassle.

+10000000

Mar 20, 2012 at 01:30 PM
markdennis
• • •
p.1 #17 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

Think yourselves lucky. You should try living in the UK. We have Parcelforce here! Should be called 'arselforce' IMHO.

Mar 20, 2012 at 08:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

markdennis wrote:
Think yourselves lucky. You should try living in the UK. We have Parcelforce here! Should be called 'arselforce' IMHO.

Mar 20, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Mike Ganz
• • •
p.1 #19 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

DanBrown wrote:
Why the quotes?

I'll go along with that. I'm in more of a rural area...seems that Fedex Ground usually contracts with delivery firms to handle some of the routes (my last few deliveries have been from drivers using unmarked delivery vans), and they weren't wearing Fedex uniforms.

I have two deliveries today from Fedex Freight...an Epson 4900 printer and a large Versatable. We'll see how it goes...

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM
rockant
• •
p.1 #20 · FedEx return to shipper - risky business!

Shipping should be done via Las Vegas... it is always a crapshoot.

I know some UPS Drivers and most of them are great people (see guys I like you so please don't trash my packages), but alot of people have seen the video of the UPS Driver throwing the computer monitors over the wall. I have to admit that UPS does try to deal with the bad ones.

On the other hand FedEx uses alot of private contractors for ground shipments and sometimes tries to punt damages to them. I actually get better home delivery from my local FedEx Driver than I do from UPS.

So with each delivery it is "Come On Lucky Seven!" and hoping things do not come up "Craps"

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password