New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon D3100 focusing problem

fsiagian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D3100 focusing problem

I just bought a used D3100 for travel. The size is right.

My problem is that when I use it with Sigma 85mm 1.4 it front focuses. I thought it was the lens. So I tried the Nikon 60mm AFS. It also from focuses. I know it's the camera.

With the kit lens 18-55mm it looks fine though. I know the kit lens has much smaller Aperture and wider focal length so the DOF is significantly larger that may reduce the front focus problem. Too bad this camera does not have micro adjustment.

Is this common for D300? I did research here but could not find anything.

What would you do? Return it? I love the camera and I don't know if the seller is willing to accept it. Send it to Nikon for adjustment? I don't have the original receipt. How much will it cost? I sometimes want to use this camera with the sigma or the 60mm macro.

Thank you for your help.
Ferdi

Mar 09, 2012 at 12:42 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D3100 focusing problem

My D60 front-focuses with many of my lenses. Ironically, like your D3100 it is also seemingly fine with the 18-55 mm kit lens.

From a search I did, some folks have apparently taken to fine-tuning AF themselves on their non-AF-fine-tune cameras like the D50, D70 and D90, using what look to be the factory adjustment screws found inside the mirror box. For instance see this discussion and this article for some info you might find useful. Not necessarily recommending you do this though, since I have not tried it myself.

Mar 09, 2012 at 01:26 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D3100 focusing problem

Thank you. I will certainly look at those articles.

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.