New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom vs camera raw

nick williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom vs camera raw

I use camera raw to edit files as speed is very important. I have downloaded lightroom to have a look. In converting 100 raws to jpegs, camera raw takes 4.5 minutes and lightroom takes 7.5 min. For those of you who use lightroom is this normal or do i have something set wrong.

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:44 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom vs camera raw

Not sure but one factor could be if LR is trying to generate previews along the way and if the preview quality is set high. Check your preferences.

Scott

Mar 08, 2012 at 03:42 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom vs camera raw

I've never tested the two against each other, but I'd also wonder if something else isn't happening at the same time - an extra 3 minutes for effectively the same piece of software to do it's job would be unexpected.

Do you know how to check how many processes are working at once? It's in the top left corner - you should see a single process if just one thing is happening but it could be more if it's doing something else too.

Mar 08, 2012 at 08:05 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom vs camera raw

As sbeme said, in the catalog settings check the preview size and quality. If all you are doing is converting you can set it to small and low quality. If you are going to be editing that may not be the best option.

Mar 08, 2012 at 08:38 AM
nick williams
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom vs camera raw

Thanks for the advice. I have changed the setting but with no real change. Must just be that lightroom is not as quick. ill keep playing with it during the 30 day trial to see if i can't speed it up

Mar 08, 2012 at 09:52 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom vs camera raw

Victoria Brompton runs a blog called "Hurry up Lightroom" here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2009/05/02/hurry-up-lightroom-the-best-speed-tips/

She can probably help you.

<Chas>

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:47 AM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom vs camera raw

Lightroom is almost certainly running output sharpening, which Camera Raw probably is not.

You also have to keep in mind that Lightroom is process 2012 right now while Camera Raw isn't—and they're much different raw processes.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:55 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom vs camera raw

The OP did not say which version of Lightroom he/she is using. However, rendering is LR4 is much more processor intensive so its likely to be a bit slower than ACR. If the OP is using LR4 it can't be compared to ACR since they use entirely different rendering processes....there are several discussions about this on the Adobe Lightroom Forum.

Mar 08, 2012 at 11:24 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.