Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their st...

justindong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

I know Adorama is reputable, I just want to know if this is the norm for them. I called them today (albeit just customer service) and asked if they had any stock and they said no.

But today I sent someone to them to appraise my DX equipment and they were really pushing for me to sell it to them (a lot of the stuff I was selling is out of stock everywhere right now) and they said they they would give me 8% off a new D700, which they said was in stock. I'm not doubting them but is it normal for them to keep some stock in the store and not sell anymore online?

I'm definitely ready to buy a D700 and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a new one. A local store by me (pretty reputable, bought from them a few times) told me they could special order it for me if I went in person and paid. But if Adorama actually has new ones in stock then it's a no-brainer with the discount.

Of course, I'll try and speak to the guy that gave that offer tomorrow

Mar 07, 2012 at 06:28 PM
rbromfield
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

D700 is going to be discontinued any day now. Most likely no new stock will be shipped. Nikon is saying they will keep producing them but it's to clear old stock.

Mar 07, 2012 at 07:29 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

It is certainly possible they have stock that isn't for sale to the general public, but it would be odd for them to hold it and stranger still to discount it given how many people seem to be searching for one...

rbromfield wrote:
D700 is going to be discontinued any day now. Most likely no new stock will be shipped. Nikon is saying they will keep producing them but it's to clear old stock.

...and you know this how? Unless you can show a published source or some other factual source, please state those kinds of things as an opinion...

Lots of similar things have been said about the D90, and yet it is still sold everywhere except in Japan due to the new laws on battery connectors.

Here's what I said in another thread:

"Since I work in the technology industry, maybe I can shed a little light here.

More than likely, Nikon had very long lead-time commitments and minimum volumes on a variety of expensive components on the D700. In other words, they owned the parts even if their production at Sendai was severely limited by the tsunami and the effects on the area. On top of that, the costs of tooling and manufacturing equipment is amortized over the expected volumes of the product. Net: They need to keep the program whole to make their money, and they probably owned a lot of the critical parts.

The assembly lines for these kinds of things don't require as much space as you might think, and are actually somewhat portable - in other words, they could pretty easily make room for the D800 production lines in the buildings where they are making the D700. Their main concern is enough power and reliable power (the power production in the area was said to be erratic, which manufacturing lines don't tolerate well).

If they can solve for enough power, there isn't any reason at all they can't run full-scale on D700 and D800 production concurrently - they've had enough time to prepare and get the planning done, workers in place, etc. Barring some kind of component shortage, I could easily see them keeping the D700 around a while, just like the D90. Why not? It gets rid of the parts they likely are committed to, pays for the tooling and manufacturing lines, fills a price cell they don't currently address and makes Canon a little uncomfortable as they try to compete with the D700 @ $2199 and the D800 at $2999 with the 5dMKIII @ $3499. Maybe they'll even get an idea of whether an "entry" FX platform is truly viable without having to invest in a whole new product, not to mention something that is distanced enough feature-wise from the D800 that it isn't going to drag on that product (in my opinion).

Personally, I'd love a D3s sensor in a D700 body. I'd start selling blood and light up eBay with everything I could find lying around to get one. In the meantime, I think you'll see D700's in moderate volumes. Only time will tell, and even then it will validated only by perception/word of mouth - all these chippy guys who make all these bold statements about shipping numbers never seem to produce any source for their information. I wish Nikon did release more data - it would be fascinating."

Mar 07, 2012 at 07:47 PM
justindong
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

I just spoke to the person I had go to Adorama for me (couldn't go in person since I'm out of state in college right now) and they said that the salesperson didn't explicitly say they had new ones in stock, though on their website they have plenty of used ones. I'm not faulting Adorama obviously but I would like to know if they actually have new ones as opposed to used.

I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can't clarify that. And FWIW, the people at Adorama (both on the phone and in the store) were friendly as always.

I received a quote from them but it's just on a small piece of paper. The guy told the person I sent that he wrote down both the value of the item as the offer. From what I see, the value is the value of what they would sell it for since there's no way a new 85mm/1.4G is $1400 and a D7000 is $1050 now (at least according to their website). I could have sworn they told me on the phone that they offer around 70% of the retail price, but seeing from the numbers I guess maybe I misheard?

The only thing is, when I talked to them over the phone they said $2700 for 3 of my pieces of equipment, but when the person I sent went today they brought those 3 and two more that I wanted to sell and the total was less than $2700. I would've thought that if the condition was worse than what I originally specified they would've said something

Mar 07, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

...and you know this how?

According to Nikon Rumors the D700 is dead!

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/07/rumor-nikon-d700-discontinued-in-canada.aspx/

Mar 07, 2012 at 09:21 PM
---XR---
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

Ektar25 wrote:
...and you know this how?

According to Nikon Rumors the D700 is dead!

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/07/rumor-nikon-d700-discontinued-in-canada.aspx/

I'm taking up a collection for the useless D700s, I'm even paying the shipping to my graveyard. I'll be awaiting my inevitable flood of pm's.

Mar 07, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adorama is sold out of D700s on their website, but has stock in their store?

justindong wrote:
I know Adorama is reputable, I just want to know if this is the norm for them......is it normal for them to keep some stock in the store and not sell anymore online?

The online inventory is separate from the in-store inventory - which is why it is possible to find something on our website (which is dispatched from the DC in NJ) and go into the store to find there aren't any on the shelves.

justindong wrote:
I could have sworn they told me on the phone that they offer around 70% of the retail price, but seeing from the numbers I guess maybe I misheard?

Yes; the usual amount would be 70% of our expected re-sale price - tho' I know a little more can be offered at times if trading up. If you'd like to drop me an email: [email protected] I'd be delighted to check it out for you.

UPdate: March 13, 8:30 am ET now 2, NEW, units on the shelf.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Mar 11, 2012 at 03:24 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.