New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

Wide open at f5.6. Should've stopped down a half stop.

C&C welcome.

Edited on Mar 11, 2012 at 09:44 AM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:12 PM
ryanpfleger
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

Good pictures of individual players! I prefer to see a little more of the action, but maybe that is just my ignorance of lacrosse.

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:16 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

I totally get what you're saying; however, I'm shooting for momma and she wants to see her baby's face If I were shooting for a sports publication, I'd certainly back it off.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

Shucks... I thought you meant KLAX, as in Los Angeles International Airport.

Nice shots of the players, though. Love the first one.

Mar 07, 2012 at 04:02 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

DennisC wrote:
I totally get what you're saying; however, I'm shooting for momma and she wants to see her baby's face If I were shooting for a sports publication, I'd certainly back it off.

Thanks for stopping by!

I shot some youth football last year for the first time. It's not really my interest but you are correct, it's all about the face. Parents are not interested in anything else.

By the way LAX is the Los Angeles airport in my world. Didn't even think of Lacrosse.

Mar 07, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

Haha I was confused too, LAX, where's the airport?!
Nice series, thought you captured the action perfectly Am partial to #1 too, caught a great expression on the player's face
If I may ask, what are your thoughts on using the combo, keeper rate, focusing speed?

Mar 07, 2012 at 09:37 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

LAX, Los Angeles International..........been there a few times, but I'm just a redneck deep in the piney woods of Georgia who only shoots sports, so....forgive the brain fart

Anyhoo, thanks for stopping by, folks!

To my eyes and for my purposes, the combo performed very nicely. As mentioned, I would stop down a half next time for just a bit more sharpness. AF wasn't instantaneous, but I try to follow the action anyway and incremental adjustments following the players was not a problem.

Having said that, I sometimes think about picking up a DX body and dropping the TC. I believe many would say I'd be better off doing that and I've located a D2Xs at a great price and, man, it is so tempting.

Mar 08, 2012 at 06:53 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

If you have a D3s, I would not switch to DX, nor consider doing so, until the next DX body is released and you can compare. Even the D300 is, to me, a thoroughly superior body to the D2Xs in every way. Not an integrated body might be the only gripe, but I love the flexibility of being able to add or remove the grip as desired.

Still, if you don't really need the low light performance of the D3s and you're often on a TC, then a 16-to-24 megapixel D400 for half the price of your D3s would be an interesting option indeed. And I think that's just what you'll see in a few months.

Mar 08, 2012 at 12:04 PM
ryanpfleger
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

Yeah, sorry! I was going to add that if you're shooting to sell to mom and dad then the framing is perfect! But you knew that already!

Mar 08, 2012 at 12:44 PM
emiller90
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

LAX is definitely for Lacrosse. Great shots.

Mar 08, 2012 at 04:17 PM
pocketfulladou
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LAX up close with 200-400 and TC14

So these guys are playing Lacrosse at the airport? That's pretty cool. I didn't see any field there by the runway.

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.