New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

kwalsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

Be aware there is a fairly bad bug in LR4. When you import your LR3 catalog it will reset all your tone curves to the default!

THIS OCCURS EVEN IF YOU LEAVE PV 2010 SET! Basically bye-bye all your tone curve work in all your past work (obviously depending on your settings this may still be recoverable back in your LR3 catalog).

So, if you adjust the tone curve on your images you probably better stick to LR3 until they sort this one out.

This is precisely the reason importing catalogs should be part of the beta program...

http://chrismarquardt.com/blog.php?id=1620266956854377999
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971408?tstart=0

Mar 06, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Allen Hirsch
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

Yikes, thanks for that.

Mar 06, 2012 at 04:05 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

Not good, but then I found with the beta I needed to start again with my presets as LR4 works quite differently to LR4 and gives quite a different result

Mar 06, 2012 at 05:26 PM
David Kirsch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

I installed LR4 on my laptop, which has a limited subset catalog imported from my desktop. I have not yet installed it on my desktop, which is my main computer for image editing. I had already imported the catalog to LR4 and updated all images to the current process (2012). Then I found this thread and got worried. I looked through the history of a few images and it appears to me that if I click on the history entry immediately before the process update the tone curves are still there. The "tone curve" adjustments show in the history, but with blank values. I am not able to detect ANY change in the image or the histogram. This suggests to me that LR4 is importing the tone curve adjustment I made in LR3, but is resetting the "curve" as linear at the current stage of development. It does not appear to me that LR4 is deleting the tone curve adjustments I previously made, but is kind of recalibrating the system as linear at the values it is importing.

Does this make sense?

David

Mar 06, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

Thanks for posting this.

Mar 06, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

I haven't attempted this yet, but I wonder if this is just a matter of the sliders being different. I've read elsewhere that the images look the same, but the curves are reset. Perhaps it's like the sliders starting at zero now, even though the appearance is the same.

Mar 06, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

David Kirsch wrote:
I installed LR4 on my laptop, which has a limited subset catalog imported from my desktop. I have not yet installed it on my desktop, which is my main computer for image editing. I had already imported the catalog to LR4 and updated all images to the current process (2012). Then I found this thread and got worried. I looked through the history of a few images and it appears to me that if I click on the history entry immediately before the process update the tone curves are still there. The "tone curve" adjustments show in the history,
...Show more

Beat me to it.

Mar 06, 2012 at 06:16 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

Thanks. I've bought it, but I'll hold off... appreciate the warning

Mar 06, 2012 at 06:35 PM
farski
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

I've been unable to find an instance of this happening with my library. I checked a bunch of different scenarios (process 2003 and 2010, medium contrast and linear, etc), and they all came through to Lr4 just fine. I didn't see anyone on the adobe forum thread mention platform. I'm on a mac, perhaps this is just a windows thing?

Edit: the chrismarquardt article is clearly a mac, so it's not that.

Mar 07, 2012 at 10:33 AM
calebcook

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

I just had this problem on my whole catalogue - luckily I can go back to LR3 and it is all still the same. Any presets that involve a tone curve adjustment don't seem to work properly when applied as a batch either.

Looks like I'm starting all over again - really need a solution so I can import my portfolio images into LR4 without having to re-edit them.

Mar 07, 2012 at 11:19 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

This has been flagged in DWF and reported to adobe. I understand that a workaround is to generate XMP sidecars. Then the curves settings will cross versions.

Mar 08, 2012 at 12:34 AM
calebcook

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

morganb4 wrote:
This has been flagged in DWF and reported to adobe. I understand that a workaround is to generate XMP sidecars. Then the curves settings will cross versions.

Are you able to explain this a little bit more for me? I've looked it up and tried saving metadata to the files but my curves still get reset.

Mar 08, 2012 at 01:02 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

hmmm. not sure. Its not something I have done. Go join DWF on a temporary membership and look it up,

Sorry.

Mar 08, 2012 at 07:42 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

A real disappointment this. I do hope they learn from it - as noted earlier, upgrades should have been included in the beta. A lot of people could have lost a lot of work due to this.

Mar 08, 2012 at 08:03 AM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

It's really quite remarkable that this wasn't caught prior to release. I understand that the PUBLIC beta didn't allow conversion of an LR3 catalog to an LR4 catalog, but surely, internally they must have done it. This seems to be a very substantial bug that should have been obvious to many of the PRIVATE beta testers.

Mar 08, 2012 at 09:30 AM
farski
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

PhilDWedding wrote:
A real disappointment this. I do hope they learn from it - as noted earlier, upgrades should have been included in the beta. A lot of people could have lost a lot of work due to this.

It's hard to imagine anyone losing any work from this bug. Anyone doing an un-reversible update to their entire catalog without doing a backup is simply doing it wrong. Even if Adobe hadn't let this bug out the door, what if the power went out halfway through? What if any number of things happened? Not having a backup would be completely irresponsible. Lr3 should have been doing it's automated backups along the way, anyway, so at worst you roll back to a copy from what, three days ago? Not that losing three days worth of tone curves is great, but, again, not doing a backup right before an upgrade is just not smart.

Mar 08, 2012 at 09:59 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

farski wrote:
It's hard to imagine anyone losing any work from this bug. Anyone doing an un-reversible update to their entire catalog without doing a backup is simply doing it wrong. Even if Adobe hadn't let this bug out the door, what if the power went out halfway through? What if any number of things happened? Not having a backup would be completely irresponsible. Lr3 should have been doing it's automated backups along the way, anyway, so at worst you roll back to a copy from what, three days ago? Not that losing three days worth of tone curves is great, but,
...Show more

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone takes backups? I think you're living in a different world to me.

People don't do smart things, especially where technology is concerned.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:38 AM
farski
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

PhilDWedding wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that everyone takes backups? I think you're living in a different world to me.

People don't do smart things, especially where technology is concerned.

You're right, hard to imagine wasn't the right way to say it. Hard to feel bad for them, is what I meant. It's much easier to do a backup of a single file than to release a major update to some software and catch a bug that made it through round after round of integration testing and only affects some users. So if anyone does happen to lose work from this, I'd place the blame on them, not Adobe.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:45 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

farski wrote:
So if anyone does happen to lose work from this, I'd place the blame on them, not Adobe.

And that's why you don't run a successful consumer software company...

The fallacy in your argument is that it is not the users' fault, if users are losing data moving from one Adobe product version to another it is clearly Adobe's fault. Their software should be doing a backup without any user intervention on the catalog upgrade. That is what any sensible software designer would do.

Sure, an experience user would do a backup. However, the burden is on the developer in this case as the solution is trivial on their end - backup before upgrade automatically. (And perhaps they are doing this already but haven't documented to the users how to properly recover).

Ken

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:59 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · BUG - LR4 will erase your tone curve edits

You're right, hard to imagine wasn't the right way to say it. Hard to feel bad for them, is what I meant. It's much easier to do a backup of a single file than to release a major update to some software and catch a bug that made it through round after round of integration testing and only affects some users. So if anyone does happen to lose work from this, I'd place the blame on them, not Adobe.

Sorry... but this is just not right. If the system loses settings it is the fault of the SYSTEM not the USER. That's what testing is for.

If everyone took an "it's your own fault" attitude, we might as well stop putting airbags and seat belts in cars because, clearly, if someone crashes it's their own fault.

But anyway.

Mar 08, 2012 at 01:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.