New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Circular Polarizing Filters

mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Circular Polarizing Filters

This may be a stupid question, but is there a noticeable difference between Tiffen, Hoya, B&W, etc filters? I am looking at getting a 52mm circ polarizer and there is a significant cost difference ($25 to $75) between the makes. Is the more expensive filter worth the extra $$?

As with lenses, there is a difference, so it seems this would hold true for filters. What is your favored maker of filters?
Thanks

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:35 PM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Circular Polarizing Filters

I remember reading a write up about filter brand comparisons and the gist of it was that the dirt cheap ones were horrible where the middle and high end were for all intents and purposes basically the same. I think when you get to the higher end you get nifty features like brass rings, thinner glass and shallow rims.

Mar 03, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Dennis H.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Circular Polarizing Filters

I purchased a couple new circler polarizers this year and bout the new B&W MRC Kausment with the nano coating, and it appears to be much better than the nIkons that I was using.

Mar 03, 2012 at 02:06 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Having had them all at one time or another...from 52 to 77mm we're talkin' Heliopan/ B&W/ Nikon/ Hoya/ Singh Ray etc.
I've come to love the Marumi line of filters. Great quality that won't break the bank. You're lucky you only need a 52mm,
so get yourself a good one the 1st time around.

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?art=115&roz=24

Mar 03, 2012 at 06:49 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Circular Polarizing Filters

When I looked into it a few years ago, it was clear that there were three tiers, best to lowest:

1) B+W, Heliopan, Hoya's top line

2) Hoya's second line, Nikon

3) Canon, Tiffen, QuantaRay and renamed brands.

I don't think much has changed. Tiffens use gel cemented between glass for six surfaces. Canons may have improved; I don't know. I hear more about Marumi and will have to look into them later; I already use a Marumi lens hood for my 100 mm EF macro.

Mar 03, 2012 at 12:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Circular Polarizing Filters

yes it has the Tiffen HT CPL has replaced my B+W as my go to gear. saves me a lot of light while doing the same job good MC too

Mar 03, 2012 at 12:57 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Circular Polarizing Filters

I have been very impressed with the B+W Kaeseman Circular Polarizing Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) Filter. The B+W brass rings do make a difference in installation and removal - just feel nice.

I agree with Monito above - B+W, Heliopan and Hoya are top of the line.

The kaeseman B+W filters are edge sealed and can help durability in harsh environments (high humidity or salt spray come to mind).

If you only use your CP occasionally - a lower priced filter will probably be fine, but if used a lot or you are concerned about getting the best image quality, invest in the better filters.

There are some good prices for B+W and Hoya filters from Hong Kong - just watch for fakes. Do a search for reliable shops (often around 1/2 list price).

Jim

Mar 03, 2012 at 02:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Circular Polarizing Filters

i have both the Kaeseman in the new nano version and the tiffen HT. they both do the same job of polarizing but the light loss is a lot less through the tiffen.

Mar 04, 2012 at 09:12 AM
Paratima
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Listen to your Monkey! Look into Marumi. They beat out the big names in actual tests, but cost very middle-ish.

You can find them at 2filter.com. (I think.) Pretty sure that's where I got mine.

Mar 04, 2012 at 09:25 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Thank you for all the feedback. I had not heard of the Marumi brand before but the reviews (and comments here) show them to be a top contender. For my budget it starting to look like the Marumi or the Hoya Digital.
Scott

Mar 04, 2012 at 10:28 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Circular Polarizing Filters

have a good hoya and a nikon, the nikon cleans so much easier is not funny.

Mar 05, 2012 at 02:00 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Marumi are probably best bang for the buck.

Mar 05, 2012 at 03:22 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Circular Polarizing Filters

The best CPs I've had are the Hoya HDs. They are very thin, clean easily, turn smoothly and don't impart weird color casts. I've had no problems with scratching, and they are claimed to be much more break-resistant also, though I haven't had occasion to test that and don't plan to. I haven't used the high-end B&W (Kaesemann) filters, but the lower-end B&Ws are unimpressive to me. Similar in price to the better Hyas, but not good mechanically - very sticky to turn and prone to getting stuck, despite being brass, and the thin models have no front threads.

Mar 05, 2012 at 03:36 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Marumi Super High Grade (SHG) are fantastic for the money, very easy to clean with a special coating clean and reasonable in cost.

Theres a number of sellers via Amazon

Mar 05, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Hoya HD polarises as good as a Schneider (B&W) but only costs one stop.

Mar 06, 2012 at 06:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Circular Polarizing Filters

actually more like 1.3 stops. i have one too.

Mar 06, 2012 at 07:13 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Y'all want low loss ...the Singh Ray LB only costs ya ~2/3 stop. It's not coated but this was a non issue
when used as a custom drop-in with my 300 f2.8 VR. Sick IQ, but it'll cost ya.

Mar 06, 2012 at 07:20 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Circular Polarizing Filters

I have couple of Zeiss CP filters and I can't get them to flare in any situation and they are very high quality. I had couple of cheaper CPL:s earlier and they lowered the image quality too much and tend to get stuck to the filter thread.

Mar 06, 2012 at 07:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Circular Polarizing Filters

trenchmonkey wrote:
Y'all want low loss ...the Singh Ray LB only costs ya ~2/3 stop. It's not coated but this was a non issue
when used as a custom drop-in with my 300 f2.8 VR. Sick IQ, but it'll cost ya.

quote from SR: "using the LB Polarizer adds only 1-1/3 f-stop to your exposures!"

its roughly a 2/3 stop diff from the B+W and other standards ones but the same as the Tiffen HT and Hoya HD

http://www.singh-ray.com/polarizers.html

Mar 06, 2012 at 08:01 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Circular Polarizing Filters

Well, I knew there was a 2/3's in there somewhere

Mar 06, 2012 at 08:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.