New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

"Unlike the 5D Mark II, the 5D Mark III's focusing screen is not interchangeable."

Why do they fix up so many little things and then give it that dumb 7D VF?

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:20 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Marketing. The new differentiation between 1D and 5D series now. Not really EOSfun to some of us OTOH, it's not the most important feature for most photographers.

The 5DmkIII is a great package, mature in almost every respect. It may have a steep price at start, but I predict that will go down more rapidly than the price of it's predecessor. In fact Canon's new line is designed with better profitability per unit in mind. That is where Canon is still ahead of it's competitors. I just don't think this 5DmkIII will be able to stand the competition for the next 3 years like the mkII did. Canon will need to speed up innovation and model policy in this segment, or they'll lose loads of marketshare to new competitors.

Sony for example is growing steadily and the new NEX series is fuelling growth by the creation of leadership in a new segment. Follow our ALT section and you know what I mean. Where the 5D was once THE camera to experiment with ALT glass, Sony is rapidly taking this position because it integrates better with alt glass video and other features.

From Nikon (and soon a few other companies mark my words!) comes new competition with an uber-res D800. Canon has been the leader in this segment and even deserved the medium format killer title for a while, Nikon has taken over now.

I'm not a videographer, so this is probably where part of my disinterest in the 5Dmk II and III series comes from, but I see competition in this segment is growing rapidly too. The new silent touch features have been added to satisfy the needs of the videographer. But I doubt this is enough of innovation. Again Canon seems to be in the prisoner dilemma of it's own market segmentation. The cinema EOS line is above the 5D, but competition has and will come with models that try to be better offerings than the 5D having features of the Cinema models.

the 5DmkIII an interesting enthusiast camera model and it's positioning is an effort to stay on top. But Canon marketing is once again not in the bulls eye, it does not completely succeed. It's good, just not good enough for a lifecycle of another 3 years. Sorry, if this is no EOSfun.

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:32 AM
Mardel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Went Eg-S with 5D2 and never went back. :-(

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:39 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

For me the new 5DIII is not interessting - because I like to focus my f/1.2 lenses through the viewfinder.
But probably the 5D classic and 5DII are getting now cheaper. I would like to modify my 5D classic to my exchangable infrared filter system, this is more and more likely with lower prices :-)
And a liveview 5DII would be nice too.

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:49 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Well lets hope the autofocus works...

Mar 02, 2012 at 04:03 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

eosfun wrote:
Again Canon seems to be in the prisoner dilemma of it's own market segmentation. The cinema EOS line is above the 5D, but competition has and will come with models that try to be better offerings than the 5D having features of the Cinema models.

An off-topic quibble: I don't see how this relates to the Prisoners' Dilemma of game theory.

I do agree with the general thrust of your post though. If the only decent viewfinder on a full-frame EOS is on a $6800 camera, what's really the point? Why are we humping around retrofocus wides when the SLR mirror doesn't provide the benefit it did in 1970?

Does anyone in the Canon EOS team actually take photographs?

RobDickinson wrote:
Well lets hope the autofocus works...

Still not as good as an -S screen for those working from a tripod.

*** I note that it is not known yet whether the Mk III does or does not have an interchangeable screen, and if it does whether an -S screen is supported. (Nor is it known whether the 1DX supports an -S screen - last I heard, it didn't.) But that Canon doesn't make this clear speaks volumes about how far removed they are from the real needs of photographers.

Mar 02, 2012 at 04:56 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Specifications from Canon:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

The focussing screen is fixed.

Mar 02, 2012 at 05:23 AM
ericvgill
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

skibum5 wrote:
"Unlike the 5D Mark II, the 5D Mark III's focusing screen is not interchangeable."

Most of what I wanted interchangeable screens for is answered in a much more elegant and useable fashion by the built-in grid lines, and I suspect general-purpose shooters reject the high-precision screens because they are not very useable outside of very good light.

Too bad this seems to be an either-or situation. Even if this feature will benefit my shooting it doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have the extra option.

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

skibum5 wrote:

Not so sure that everyone who has owned a 7D would agree with you, though I understand that those that require high-precision focusing screens might be unhappy. For the majority of users, I'd say that the new LCD viewfinder adapted from the 7D is a good, useful thing, obviating the extra $$ outlay for a screen with a grid. I personally think the new LCD viewfinder was a long time coming, and should be incorporated on every Canon DSLR in the future. It's just too bad that Canon is still playing catch-up with features that Nikon has had for years.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

I love the 7D VF--especially the grid on demand and other overlay features--and wish my 5D2 was the same. The main reason I used to switch out screens was for the grid feature but it's nice to be able to toggle it off and on. I briefly had a contrasty screen in my original 5D (EG-S?) and I soon took it out as it was too dim and gritty with all but my fastest primes.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Mardel
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Yea its only dim with my 70-200 F/4L but its really no big deal outside since i really only use that lens outside. I shoot with all primes other than that one zoom. I wish there was an option.

Mar 02, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Marco
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

It's a real bummer.

It's a joy to focus my ZE 50 Makro-Planar and 90 TS-E with the Eg-s screen on my 5D2.
For landscape on tripod live view is preferred, but if you love the drawing of some great manual focus lenses from other brands (Zeiss or Leica for instance) well... the ease of precise focussing was always a plus for the Canon.

Not anymore it seems. I can only hope its standard screen is precise enough.

Mar 02, 2012 at 12:17 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Sorry for being a noob but I am looking at getting a 5d2 in the coming weeks, what is all this focusing screen stuff and why do I need it? Thanks for any info

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:38 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

pizdets17 wrote:
Sorry for being a noob but I am looking at getting a 5d2 in the coming weeks, what is all this focusing screen stuff and why do I need it? Thanks for any info

A focusing screen is what you look at in the optical viewfinder, it's a piece of glass that the image coming in through the lens is projected on.

There are certain trade-offs in the design of focusing screens. In particular, there's one between brightness and "resolution". Most contemporary cameras pick more brightness and less "resolution" because the camera auto-focuses and you don't need to see where the precise focus is. That is not true if you're using a manual focus lens and focus through the viewfinder (as opposed to, say, by LiveView). Therefore people who use manual focus lenses much will often swap out the stock focusing screen for another one which is less bright but is more suited to manual focusing.

If you don't use manual focus, you generally wouldn't care.

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:59 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

Ah definitely not using manual focus ( assuming youre talking only manual focus on a normal lens). Thanks for clearing that up

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:17 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

ericvgill wrote:
I suspect general-purpose shooters reject the high-precision screens because they are not very useable outside of very good light.

These "general-purpose shooters" would be dead wrong.

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:06 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

There are third party focus screens for the 7D and they're easy to install. I'm sure someone will come out with them for the 5D3 soon enough. http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/7den.htm

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

If you mainly use "alternative" manual lenses the 5D3 is only a mildly enticing upgrade from the 5D2. While there are lots of small tweaks to the design, the 61-point AF array is the main reason to upgrade and a moot point for manual focus folk. I couldn't manually focus reliably even with the EG-S and would have to resort to using the LCD, so pretty useless save for studio and landscape. Oddly, I do okay using a split micro prism in my Nikon FM3A.

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:18 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

There may not be interchangeable focusing screens anymore, but thank God they left the Print Button in.

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:19 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · No interchangeable focusing screens for 5D3

really? there are only 3 or 4 people that use MF anyways...
still dont get the obsession over manual focusing....a A/F camera
maybe Canon should produce a M/F only version...why not it would sell to at least 3 or 4 people.lol

Mar 02, 2012 at 03:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.