Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

astv99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

I'm going to be traveling to PA in mid-April, partially for photography but I've never been there, so I wanted to ask, what are some of the best places to photograph?

I'm primarily looking to shoot specifically streams/rivers, small waterfalls, spring foliage, that sort of thing. Maybe covered bridges too. I know PA is also a prime spot for Civil War-era memorials and if I have time I'd like to squeeze that in too.

I'm not sure if my mid-April timing will be ok for what I want to shoot, or if the weather will cooperate, so I'm hoping for the best. Will be in PA for just over a week and plan on renting a car to get around. I'm flying into Philadelphia and will be driving to as far as State College, and then back to Philadelphia, so my area of coverage will be pretty wide. I have no firm plan right now and will be open to driving pretty much anywhere between those two cities.

I've tentatively pinned Delaware State Forest (eastern PA) and Susquehannock/Sproul State Forests (since they're close to State College), but if there are better areas I'll change plans. Allegheny NF looks interesting but I think that might be going out of my way too much.

This should give a idea of the basic route I'd like to take, won't want to deviate too much from this path:

Feb 28, 2012 at 01:58 AM
AndrewThomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

I'd suggest you check out Ricketts Glen State Park...one of the best waterfall places on earth!
cheers Andrew

Feb 28, 2012 at 02:42 AM
AbeZilla
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

^^^^ Absolutely Ricketts Glenn State Park. I was there once I was so amazed!!!

Feb 28, 2012 at 04:11 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

If waterfalls are a high priority, I emphatically agree with the others that Ricketts Glen has to be on your itinerary. It's on the southern end of the first forest area (green) west of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on your map, so not a large deviation. Budget at least a full day; either camp in the park or stay nearby (the Ricketts Glen Hotel, with good dining, is on Rt 118 just east of the intersection to go up the hill to the park). If you start early in the day you can avoid some of inevitable "other people" crowding your shots, especially on weekends. From there you can continue west (Worlds End State Park is on the way and might be worth a stop) and pick up your original route.

Dave

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:24 AM
ultrarunner
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Asrale, from your most western location at Emporium, I would highly recommend you visit Cook Forest State Park. It's about an hour west of Emporium. It's a wonderful virgin forest along the Clarion River. I've spent much time in that forest during my HS and college years. You will not be disappointed in the photography opportunities you will have.

http://www.cookforest.com/parkinfo/

Enjoy your road-trip.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM
ESeidle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

You are in prime location to some of the best that Pennsylvania has to offer.

Worlds End State Park SP, Ricketts Glen SP, Hyner View SP, Hickory Run SP, and at your furthest point west you are really close to Kinzua Bridge SP. All of these are must see type stuff. For the water falls at Ricketts Glen, start at the bottom along route 118 rather then the top. Roughly half of the picture friendly falls are before "waters meet". And a good turn around point if decide not continue up more falls.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Along your route you have this national wonder.. Shenandoah N.P. http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm Its close to Harrisburg

Charlie

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
alanwarp
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Valley Forge Park is easy on/off from 76 if thats of interest..

Alan

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

CheechzeppLn wrote:
Along your route you have this national wonder.. Shenandoah N.P. http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm Its close to Harrisburg

Charlie

Huh

Shenandoah is in Virginia, about 200 miles south of Harrisburg. Were you thinking of a different park?

Dave

Feb 28, 2012 at 01:53 PM
jbailey930

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Bushkill Falls near Stroudsburg is very nice - pay admission
http://www.visitbushkillfalls.com/

Near Hazleton and I80/I81 Eckley Miners Village is a neat place to see how Molly Mguires lived in 1800s.
http://www.eckleyminersvillagemuseum.com/
Jim Thorpe is "Switzerland of PA" cool 1800 coal baron mansions, steam train, etc
http://www.jimthorpe.org/
Have fun!

Feb 28, 2012 at 03:32 PM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Aggghhh...Open mouth insert foot... I was driving home from Nashville and I saw sign for it. I thought i was passing Harrisburg PA but it was Harrrisonburg VA. Guess I had been on the road too long... Sorry bout that.

Charlie

Feb 28, 2012 at 06:10 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Poconos and Delaware Water Gap near Stroudsburg is a very interesting area, landscape-wise, with Stroudsburg itself being a cool little town worth to explore.

Feb 28, 2012 at 06:16 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Cheech -- Ha, that's a great explanation! Hope it was a good trip!

I though maybe you were thinking of Gettysburg, which is within striking distance of Harrisburg. Come to think of it, not a bad suggestion...

Dave

Feb 28, 2012 at 06:44 PM
lorirobin57
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Rickets Glen and Bushkill Falls Child Park,which is waterfalls , Shohola falls DingmanFalls Resica falls lots of river and streams an dinlets near the Delaware I use to live there eagles and bears with cubs too There is a book about Pa waterfalls or google it I recently went to Ithaca NY they have tons of waterfalls but thats good in May

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:26 PM
darekd

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

To access Ricketts Glen waterfalls in winter time you need crampons and ice axe. In April it's likely those will not be needed. Also winter this year is warm which should help. My favorite time is from sunrise to about 11am.
In Hickorry Run park there are also waterfalls but boulder field is main attraction in my opinion. In NE PA Hyner state park and worlds end park and Delaware water gap area are also nice.
Have fun
Darek

Feb 28, 2012 at 09:51 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Sir, google "Hawk Mountain" and "Grand Canyon of PA". +1 about Cook Forest State Park.

Feb 29, 2012 at 08:26 AM
monoprint
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Ricketts Glen & the Quehanna Wild Area (parts of Moshannon & Elk State forests), below the "D" on your map. Might be a good idea to write to Moshannon and ask for a map before you go.

Feb 29, 2012 at 03:15 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

I see you will be passing a couple miles from my house. If you want waterfalls all the suggestions above are good but the amount of water flow will depend on recent rainfall. I second Hickory Run SP for the boulder fields but would give Hawk Mtn a miss unless you like watching birds fly overhead (even a 500 isn't enough). Here is a site to get your juices going:

www.pawaterfalls.com/

John

Mar 01, 2012 at 05:06 PM
astv99
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shooting locations in Pennsylvania?

Thanks for the info all, very much appreciated. Too many places to check out but Ricketts Glen is definitely going on the list. I think I might spend ~3 days in & around Ricketts Glen.

Mar 05, 2012 at 02:06 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.