Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wood You Vote For This ???

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wood You Vote For This ???

Weekly Assignment for "Trees & Wood" ... tried to represent both with some "dead wood" and living trees.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wood You Vote For This ???

It's OK, but I believe you can do better. No technical complaints, but it doesn't move me. Then again, a nasty cold virus means my head isn't at it's best.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wood You Vote For This ???

Thanks Karen ... I think there is a "left-handed" compliment buried in there.

Feb 26, 2012 at 07:02 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wood You Vote For This ???

I doesn't do much for me in terms of subject matter and composition. The shape of the dead wood in the foreground is interesting but the chopped off tree truck in the background is a strong vertical leading line straight up and out the top of the frame.

The image has a full tonal range in that there isn't much clipping on either end, but the 3/4 tones are "blocked" meaning that the normal progression of gray scale steps you'd see in person are missing. The tonal range jumps from black and nearly black (Zone 0 and 1) to middletones (Zones 5 -6) with very little in the Zone 2-4 range.

I would suspect you could coax more detail out of the RAW will Fill, Blacks, Brightness and Contrast adjustments in ACR but even then content- / message it would fall short for me. The white mat is also distracting, fighting the shadow detail in the image for attention. Try a black one and compare the difference — you'll perceive more detail in the shadows.

Feb 26, 2012 at 08:17 AM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wood You Vote For This ???

Kent, I think that a little less definition between the sharp tree trunk and the background would actually improve the overall look of it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 09:43 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wood You Vote For This ???

I agree with Kaden, on this monitor, as opposed to a laptop, it looks awfully dark (imagine me saying that! ).

Here is where we digress from DeWolfe - he would have a much finer tonal gradation on lighted side of dead wood and reduced contrast. How to get there? Do not know, and perhaps not possible from basic image?

Bob

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wood You Vote For This ???

Nope.... Not left-handed or buried. I'd say implicit. I believe you can and often do make strong images. That one is pleasant, but last I looked there was at least one entered in the WA I though was much stronger. Of course, I rarely agree with the WA winner picked, so take any of my WA advice with a large grain of salt.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wood You Vote For This ???

Kent,
I agree with the feedback you have already received.
You did a beautiful job with a tight crop and beautiful use of shallow DOF. But the overall image is just not strong enough compositionally.
Scott

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.