Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Leica 35-70 f/4: Anyone Leitax this lens for Nikon?

jph1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica 35-70 f/4: Anyone Leitax this lens for Nikon?

Going from Canon to Nikon and I want to take this lens with me.
How involved is the conversion? Any downsides?
Thanks,
Jim

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica 35-70 f/4: Anyone Leitax this lens for Nikon?

Leitax do it themselves for ROM contact Leica zooms: http://leitax.com/Zoom_ROM_for_Nikon_cameras.html

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica 35-70 f/4: Anyone Leitax this lens for Nikon?

I did it for Alpha, and I doubt you'd run into different problems with the Nikon mount.

There's two problems you face: the ROM contacts and the aperture control arms, which are slightly taller than any other Leica lens I've converted. The ROM contacts have a cable ribbon cable that goes inside the zoom ring so the camera gets an accurate focal length reading on an R8/9, and the new mount won't seat properly without carving out space for the cable and contacts. The new mount will seat properly without doing anything to the arms, but the aperture ring won't turn when you get everything tightened down. And you can't remove the arms, as they're sealed in the thin little black disc, which is attached to a floating brass arm. DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREWS ON THE BLACK DISC. You won't break anything, but you won't solve the arm problem and you'll get to spend a lot of time trying to screw the disc back on to it's floating brass arm. Trust me- not worth it.

You can do this the destructive, non-reversible way (remove the aperture ring facing and cut the ROM contact cable down close to the body, so it won't interfere with the new mount, bend the arms down to 45 degree angles toward the center of the black disc from which they protrude so they clear the inner mount). You can do it the right way and carve out space for the cable and the arms and drill holes so you can screw the ROM contacts in out of the way on the Leitax mount. Or you can send it to David and pay him to do it the right way.

I went with the destructive way, and I regret it. I should've taken the time to do it right, but I let my impatience get the best of me. Still, it's such a great little walk around lens, I never plan to sell it, so it is what it is. Anyway, good choice in keeping it and good luck in converting it, whichever way you choose.

Feb 24, 2012 at 08:12 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica 35-70 f/4: Anyone Leitax this lens for Nikon?

Come to think of it, member JimBuchanan, who is in the States and does fairly awesome conversion work, might be willing to take it on as well. If you don't want to ship your lens overseas, you could PM him and ask about it.

Feb 24, 2012 at 08:18 PM
jph1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica 35-70 f/4: Anyone Leitax this lens for Nikon?

Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.
Jim

Feb 25, 2012 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.