New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

Robr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

I want to make a remote timelapse setup.

Laptop + pocketwizard >>>>>>>>>>>>>> pocketwizard + camera.
How can I setup the laptop to activate the pocketwizard with a time interval with only 1 camera.

I know that I can connect a second camera via USB to the laptop using the Canon EOS Utility, put a pocketwizard in the hotshoe and use this setup to activate a remote setup.
(con is that the second camera shoots the same number of shots also. so the shutter is used without making pictues).

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks for looking reading.
Rob

Feb 24, 2012 at 05:24 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

Is there any reason you need the laptop involved? Why not just pick up something like this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749827-REG/Vello_RC_C2_ShutterBoss_Timed_Remote_for.html

Feb 24, 2012 at 09:26 AM
Robr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

Thanks, great tip!
Simple and elegant solution.
I use a laptop now so I kept on thinking in that way.
Here in Europe it sell under the name of Micnova less then € 60,--
http://www.cameranu.nl/fotos/afstandsbediening/1248164678_640/micnova-mq-tc1-canon-rs-80n3.jpg

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

For a remote camera driven remotely by a PocketWizard link, you should look in to the PocketWizard Multimax. It can do time lapse on its own, over a wide range of timing, and send out remote camera triggering to other PocketWizards. With a MultiMax at your control location, you should be able to use a standard PocketWizard at the camera, but check out limitations that might be overcome by putting a Multimax or one of the new PocketWizard Plus III units at the camera to allow proper wake up and focus and exposure metering before the frame is actually taken. That hookup is complex and needs the right cables and PocketWizard settings, so if you are considering it, talk directly to PocketWizard or read their posted manuals carefully.

If you must have a lap top involved, and it can do the timelapse part, then I think you are stuck with using USB to a local camera, and then pass its trigger on to the remote camera via a pair of PocketWizards. You might find a special camera adapter or USB adapter that can directly trigger a PocketWizard with a contact closure, but it would also likely need special software to go with it, which may not be compatable with what you are trying to do on the computer.

And if the remote camera can be controled by a wire, then the Canon timelapse remote or other brands are possible. Canon makes a long extension cord that is like 30 feet, and you can combine them. Or you can adapt an extension cord to other wire to go further than a couple of remote cords.

And I assume you need to start and stop this remote shooting operation remotely. If you could live with going to the camera to start and stop things, then a local remote time lapse controler right at the remote camera will be the lowest cost solution.

For any remote camera, be sure you have enough storage capacity on the card or cards in the camera, and consider shooting JPEG to extend that capacity rather than shooting in RAW. Also consider that you may run out of battery energy. Most cameras have an AC adapter setup which can give you un limited shooting time by replacing the battery with the power adapter if there is AC at the remote camera location. And for any remote camera, turning IS off and setting focus to manual and prefocusing things is often the best approach, and can eliminate the need for pretrigering. But camera wakeup is still a possible issue unless you can afford the energy it takes to set the camera to stay on all the time.

Edit: Just saw your post indicating that a simple remote control is going to work for you, which is great. Perhaps my thoughts above will be of use to others.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Robr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

Thanks Roland,

Lots of usefull tips, pocketwizard multimax + extra cables is still an expensive solution, though I have allready 3x the plusII and 2xTTs and 1x TT1.
The velo/micnova can be set to 399 shots or unlimited in all time configs I read.
They are not in stock at the moment at my shop, but I order one next week online if they are not in stock soon. for € 60,-- I cant go wrong I think

Feb 24, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Remote timelapse setup with pocketwizards

The PocketWizard Flex TT5 units can also be set up to do the half press type funciton like the MultiMax and the new Plus III units, but only the Multimax has a built in time lapse feature. And yes, I did not adress cost, which is high for a Multimax, but it also does lots of other things. But since you have a big collection of PocketWizard stuff, you likely do not need a Multimax for other things.

If the direct plug in time lapse remote will work for your needs, that is clearly the way to go. Canon makes a nice one also, but it will likely cost a fair bit more than the one you have your eye on. I have used my Canon TC-80N3 for many years, and actually got it for a Canon film camera, if you remember what those are. I like the durability and the quality locking connector, but when I got my remote, there were no other choices at a lower cost besides the Canon.

Feb 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.