New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another help from you

fracas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another help from you

Statues from a square in the city center of Palermo (Sicily). How would you improve it?

Cheers
Francesco

http://my.1x.com/media/115210-F.jpg

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another help from you

Hi Francesco...Lovely subjects. I think you are trying to give a context to these statues by including all of them in the frame...but, looking at them, they scream for attention as their own. Also, the windows in the background is kinda distracting (especially those bright window sills)...and the railings in the bottom of the frame..

In cgardners typical words here....my eye is ping-ponging all over those statues so I am constantly jumping around the picture instead of looking at your main subject...which I really liked (also the lady in the back)...

just my 2 cents...Would love to hear others input as well.....

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another help from you

Please don't put words in my mouth, use your own voice

I'm not getting ping-ponging here. That occurs when there are TWO widely separated focal points of equal strength fighting for attention. Here the large figure on the left dominates is size and sharpness then eye moved smoothly to the middle and background figures. The main problem I have with the image is you've cut the statue in the foreground off at the knees and the flags are a distraction that pulls attention up off the statue in back, rather than tracking back across the statues to the one in the foreground

What could have been done to improve it would have been to find a point of view that would put the statue in the foreground between the two in the background like this...
http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Statue.jpg

Compositionally it's what is called "unifying the centers of interest". By finding a point of view that lines up content in the center of the frame it allows the viewer to see everything important at the same time. It also creates a triangular rather than linear eye path between the heads of the statues. In the middle the missing legs of the foreground statue doesn't seem as odd and the flags now behind the statue don't pull the eye off it.

I used an asymmetrical mat the same tone as the building with more space on the bottom to compensate visually for the unseen part of the legs creating the illusion they are there, but hidden under the mat rather than chopped off above the knees.

Mind you I'm just illustrating what to look for next time when shooting in a similar situation, not suggesting you edit the photo that way, but you could pull it off without anyone being the wiser and it would be stronger, tighter composition of the elements.

Feb 23, 2012 at 08:31 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another help from you

Sorry cgardner....should have used my own....agreed!

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
fracas
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another help from you

cgardner, your comments are always very useful.

many thanks, francesco

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:10 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.