New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Grey market

Cecilia C

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grey market

Anyone has a clue of why everybody is afraid of grey mRket cameras and lens?
As far as I know, GM and USA ítems are exactly the same, the ONLY thing is for exMple @BH they get the ítems directly from the factory instead of factory-NIKON-BH, or Im wrong?

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:42 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grey market

For most, it's the issue of warranty service. Most folks prefer to have the USA warranty items in case something goes wrong. I've heard Nikon USA will not touch a gray market product for warranty repair.

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grey market

honorerdieu is correct. Gray market items do not have a factory warranty. Spend the extra $50 or so on a USA warranty product and save the frustration later if you need warranty service.

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:51 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grey market

In the past, Nikon Ais lenses were a deal on Gray market. New AF lens designs are something else in quality with motors, plastics, contacts, etc. You can risk an independent repair shop to fix your camera or AF lens but I would just buy domestic with the USA warrenty.

Feb 22, 2012 at 04:05 PM
cobra0469
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grey market

I've been considering the 200 f/2 II recently and have pondered USA or grey market. The USA version on BH is $5819.00, the grey market is $5199.00+$40.00 shipping. I've wondered what the odds are of needing warranty work as it will likely see limited use. Other than this example I would buy the USA version since the savings aren't worth the risk to me. Also have to consider resell value and ease of selling.

Feb 22, 2012 at 09:40 PM
Tommy_D
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grey market

cobra0469 wrote:
I've been considering the 200 f/2 II recently and have pondered USA or grey market. The USA version on BH is $5819.00, the grey market is $5199.00+$40.00 shipping. I've wondered what the odds are of needing warranty work as it will likely see limited use. Other than this example I would buy the USA version since the savings aren't worth the risk to me. Also have to consider resell value and ease of selling.

Wait for a refurb. to pop up on Adorama. Those things sell for mid $3K's on there.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM
cobra0469
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grey market

If you see a mark II version for that price, please send me a pm ASAP. That would be a nice savings. I figure the mark I version would be that price.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grey market

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any of our products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

For, I think, about the past 10 years, the policy of Canon USA has been to honor their warranty for any unit sold though an authorized Canon reseller, whether it has been imported by an authorized agent or is direct import.
All the customer requires is original receipt to verify the reseller and the date of sale – apparently you don't need the warranty card - and even if you do have the warranty card, you will still have to provide the receipt.

Some consumers believe that the only practical reason to buy a USA warranted lens is if you think you may require warranty service outside the USA.

Equipment classified as USA, purchased from an authorized dealer in the United States, will be eligible for Canon warranty service (almost) anywhere in the world. "USA" equipment is specifically categorized for distribution and sale in the United States through the network of Canon dealers.
They will service any Canon item with a fee if it is otherwise not under warranty, but Nikon USA will not service a direct import item at all, whether the customer is willing to pay or not.
(BTW, I understand that this company is a Nikon authorized repair center, and WILL service all Nikon units, including direct import:
http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/)

I hope this helps.

If you have any further queries regarding any aspect of Adorama Camera, or AdoramaPix, please do not hesitate to contact me directly: [email protected]

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grey market

Thanks, I see that you have a good deal of information about Canon, but what about Nikon?

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grey market

galenapass wrote:
Thanks, I see that you have a good deal of information about Canon, but what about Nikon?

HUH? She said all there is to know about Nikon. They won't repair direct import (grey) items, even for money. What more do you need to know?

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM
rmc1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grey market

Baywing wrote:
HUH? She said all there is to know about Nikon. They won't repair direct import (grey) items, even for money. What more do you need to know?

Indeed, and with the new policy of not supplying parts to independent repair shops this is a very serious concern.

Feb 23, 2012 at 01:53 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grey market

Baywing wrote:

Thanks. I missed that.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.