New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D700 / D800

harleyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700 / D800

I would have expected that the D700 would have dropped more than it has with the impending release of the D800! ... thoughts?

Edited on Feb 22, 2012 at 09:24 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700 / D800

New or used? New prices don't drop all that much unless there is a glut of new stock. I doubt that is the case, given all the supply chain issues in the past year. The D800 is not an exact replacement either, so maybe some people like the D700 FPS and are not giving them away cheaply yet.

EBH

Feb 22, 2012 at 04:03 PM
harleyman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700 / D800

EB-1 wrote:
New or used? New prices don't drop all that much unless there is a glut of new stock. I doubt that is the case, given all the supply chain issues in the past year. The D800 is not an exact replacement either, so maybe some people like the D700 FPS and are not giving them away cheaply yet.

EBH

I meant used ... new camera aren't gonna be exact replacements ... The fact is that the D800 is replacing the D700 ... I think people are denial mostly the ones that own the D700 and want to see get as much as possible ... If you talk FPS there's also the D3 that is hovering around 2600.00 ... just my opinion

Feb 22, 2012 at 07:13 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700 / D800

Since the new camera won't arrive for a month i doubt many folks will unload their D700 until they have a new camera in hand. Granted, that won't be true for those with multiple DSLR cameras. But I own one camera and rather enjoy using it. I certainly wouldn't sell it before my new camera arrived. You might see some softening of prices after the new cameras arrive, but don't expect a deep drop simply because the D700 is much prized. As your comment suggests, for many folks the D700 is preferable to the high megapixel D800. Those folks who've been shooting DX and longing for an FX camera may very well opt for a D700 for two thousand rather than a D800 for three. I'm still on the fence, but I'm a patient man and quite willing to wait. And I LOVE my D700!

Feb 23, 2012 at 02:47 AM
harleyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700 / D800

CGrindahl wrote:
Since the new camera won't arrive for a month i doubt many folks will unload their D700 until they have a new camera in hand. Granted, that won't be true for those with multiple DSLR cameras. But I own one camera and rather enjoy using it. I certainly wouldn't sell it before my new camera arrived. You might see some softening of prices after the new cameras arrive, but don't expect a deep drop simply because the D700 is much prized. As your comment suggests, for many folks the D700 is preferable to the high megapixel D800. Those folks who've
...Show more

I think you make a valid point ... but what gets me is that FM members are asking for more than what they sell on ebay for ... I think that once the d800 drops to peoples doors you will see a sharp drop in price probably around $1500-1600 I say that because it happened on the canon side with the 5DmkII and thats that the MKIII hasn't even dropped yet ... have you seen the ISO comparisons of the D700/D800?? I'm quite impressed ...

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700 / D800

If you're really interested in tracking what is happening with the D800 you might want to check out the Nikon forum. The chatter there is D800 24/7. I'm not inclined to spend too much time on the subject. I'm content to wait delivery of the camera and first hand reports from those using them. I'll likely buy one eventually, unless Nikon decides to offer a prosumer FX with something akin to the D4. I'm not holding my breath for that one, however. Shooting today with the D700 and then processing the files I smiled. I'm hardly suffering with the kit I already own...

Feb 23, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Juan Francisco
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700 / D800

Figured I would discuss here since the topic in the actual B&S forum is obviously not the place.

My local area has two mint D700's for sale right now for $1,500. eBay prices I do not know what to make of. A lot of actions ending with only 1 bidder which seems strange to me.

I am obviously looking to get one but I want to sell off my DX kit first and I am in no rush. I see no reason prices will go UP regardless of new stock issues.

So I am simply going about my business.

What strikes me as so weird is the emotional attachment people seem to have. People who say they will never sell their camera but upset about the used value at the same time. If you are not going to sell, why worry about the used value?

Ultimately I think we are in a strange transition period where many buyers and sellers are not on the same page. This will ultimately settle where it settles.

In the meantime, hopefully it can be done without our ego's taking over and creating a strange attachment between our sense of self and the camera we do or do not own.

Peace!

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.