Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Taken last year on a rainy day. I have posted a small original also in case anyone wants to have a play. Comments appreciated thanks in advance, Barbara

Feb 22, 2012 at 04:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Looks over-processed to me. Consider retaining the bleak moodiness. Perhaps something like:

Feb 22, 2012 at 07:54 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

It's a nice shot but I find the foreground dominating and throwing off the balance created by the tree line dissecting the frame on the diagonal leading tree line connecting the house and rock that form ping-pong focal points in the background. Also the contrast of the bright sky is a distraction pulling attention to the left and up...

Here's my edit:

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Seascape.jpg

The crop gives is a more panoramic feel and minimizes the visual "mass" of the lower right corner. I used screen, and soft light adjustment layers to brighten and add contrast to the cliff and house, but still retain the veil of fog. I used selective over-sharpening on the cliff under the house to pull out its texture but blurred and darkened sky and the foreground. I also applied lens blur to the foreground with a masked duplicate layer to take the sharp edges off the rocks and make it less interesting and distracting. The rule was sampled from the sky on top and the mat is a dark shade of blue.

Feb 22, 2012 at 09:50 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Hi Barbara,

Another sunny day at the coast? Hope to be in Prineville area mid summer.

Another re-work, probably too dark for everyone's taste but as I remember our day at Cannon Beach & Ecola State Park.

Bob

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Karen, yes that is an option I haven't pursued yet. Thanks for your insight.

Chuck, I like the crop you applied to the image and agree it helps to remove the distracting foreground. The overall image seem more balanced.

Bob, yes another sunny day at the beach I don't mind the darkness as the image was taken near sunset.

I will spend some more time trying different options presented. Thank you for all the suggestions. Barbara

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

I should have said and did not, used Color Efex Pro 3 and Viveza pretty much for whole rework, if that helps.

Bob

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Yes, that is what I am using. Viveza 2, Color Efex 4 along with some additional adjustments in CS5.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Tonal Contrast filter did wonders knocking down pixelation in sky.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:47 AM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

Hello all,
I just started using CS5 last week so I am really learning (doing the online class on Lynda..) and this forum is helping with I hope to be al ong and fun learning curve..

I live in Portland and am a native to Oregon and have walked this very beach. Wonderful place and a great image. I can only imagine what it looks like at sunset on a clear summer day.

This is my first time working with a small file from the web it is much harder than working with RAW files that makes it much more fun and precise work...

Bare with me as I learn this incredible program total newbie here.

I tried out some color select masks on this for the sky to lower the brightness a bit and one for the foreground as well added a feather to help with that.

I also did a blend with a copy of the image in soft light with a opacity of 18...did some tone work with a curves on top of a B&W. I think the blacks are to black but when I push harder it turns to mush. Need to learn some more...back to training for me.

Edit: If I knew how to make a border I may have tried that as well.

Feb 23, 2012 at 07:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

My first stab with new system and CS5 64-bit. Will take some getting used to the change from CS3 ... and the different display.

Feedback @ calibration is welcome ... particularly the B&W version, i.e. neutral or cast ??

Feb 23, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Heceta Head Suggestions, Re-Works

pdx-B-Rad, it looks like your coming along just fine in your use of CS5. Thanks for your re-work and description of steps used.

Kent, congratulations on the upgrade to a new computer system and CS5. It appears that you finally got rid of your color cast issues that I noticed on some previous posts. I like the last 2 re-works the best. I haven't tried a version in B/W yet but I will.

Feb 24, 2012 at 04:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password