New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

bob
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

I am looking for the best Nikon for shooting video, make still images from the video. I think this the future for still photographers. I am using the d7000 I find I can make 91/2 x 5 1/2 prints that are close to still images. I am looking for ways to increase quality. bob

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

Well, on the face of it, the D4 is going to be the best Best high ISO, best options for cropping (FX/DX/100%) and then it has all the remote control features, clean HDMI out etc.

However, I suspect that's not the answer you were looking for

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

The D800 and D4 will be pretty close, but the D4 better (higher ISO and pixel for pixel crop mode).

But neither will be significantly better than the D7000 at low ISOs, since none go higher than 1920x1080 resolution. I disagree strongly that still frames from video is the future, for a variety of reasons, but if that's the route you want to go and want higher than 1080 resolution, you need to look at RED.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM
bob
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

Thank you for the replies. Red is a little to expensive for me. I am retired an just playing around. bob

Feb 21, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

It's fair to say that if shot correctly you can get some stunning stills from video, just like we used to get from early 3MP and 4MP DSLRs. I have some stills from 1080p video that I have printed quite happily at 150ppi and they are certainly sharp enough to put in a frame and hang on a wall or stand on the side. With careful processing they can look stunning.

However, they are certainly not going to totally replace a stills camera for me in even the distant foreseeable future. Not a chance. The stills I get from video are the exception rather than the rule. You'd have to be shooting fairly high shutter speeds to avoid the natural blur that is present in many video frames.

Feb 21, 2012 at 05:37 PM
bob
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

Make sense to me. My thought was you could always get the perfect expression. I am retired Newspaper photographer just playing around. bob

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM
crewshin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Nikon Shooting Video

What you are asking for wont really happen until Nikon/Canon get with the times and add raw video recording.

RED is on the right path that's for sure.

But yes... for now the D4 is going to be the best video camera in Nikon's line up. D800 in second.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.