New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Processing 7D files

marino420td
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Processing 7D files

Anyone care to share step by step instructions on how they process their 7D files? I have read that files from this body must be processed differently and I'm curious what others do to maximize sharpness.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Processing 7D files

I really don't do anything different.
I make sure I use proper technique in the camera. I maximize my sharpness by lens and lighting choice. When I process the files, I work the same way I work with 5 1 and 7 series cameras.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Processing 7D files

As Robert said above you must first get a good exposure ion camera.
Especially avoid underexposure.

I am getting very good RAW conversions with Photoshop CS5 and the latest version of ACR
The noise reduction is very effective in ACR

I also get good results with the latest Neat Image noise reduction plugin for CS5

7D & Photoshop CS5 makes it easy to get good IQ

Edited on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Processing 7D files

7D files are no different from other files from same sensor (60 D, t2i, t3i, etc). its an 18mp 1.6 crop sensor which many times used for wildlife photography, with long lenses, which are further cropped. some of this "special" needed processing is the sensor, part of it is the subject matter.
As a very high density sensor, it is extremely demanding not only on the lens, but also on technique. viewed at 100% it requires more sharpening than for example a 5d2 file, or even a 1d4 file. At the same time, you have to be more careful with noise compared the the other two cameras mentioned. add to that many are shooting picture of moving objects at 400mm, and then cropping a bunch too, and shooting at 1/800 second, and not getting sharp results, and they are wondering why.
But to go back to you original question, viewed at 100%, they need more aggressive selective sharpening and noise reduction.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Processing 7D files

marino420td wrote:
Anyone care to share step by step instructions on how they process their 7D files? I have read that files from this body must be processed differently and I'm curious what others do to maximize sharpness.

Assuming good technique and optics, sharpness is not a problem. The problem is controlling noise at ISO 800 and higher. Low mids and shadows are problematic at higher ISO and require selective application of NR to trouble areas. Global NR isn't very effective because it may soften mids and highs too much.

I do basic tweaks in Aperture 3, including a moderate global application of NR. I export to PS as TIFF and use a mask to selectively apply Topaz Denoise to trouble areas. I also selectively apply USM to important areas, being careful not to sharpen noise prones sections. of course this is not needed for tiny web galleries but really makes large prints look good.

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:13 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Processing 7D files

I sharpen more on 7d files vs 5d2 files

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM
marino420td
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Processing 7D files

Thanks for the replies. I guess what I'm looking for is a before and after so I can tell if my in camera technique is good, or if I just lack proper processing skills.

I mostly shoot sports so I'm tracking a moving subject in AI servo mode. But even when the subject is not moving I don't seem to get the sharpness I want. I have no doubts that it's something I'm doing incorrectly and not the gear. I'm just trying to pinpoint it to photo technique or lack of processing.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Processing 7D files

Hella noise reduction and sharpening.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Processing 7D files

when I use high ISO on my 7D I overexpose then then bring it back in PP,this reduces noise levels significantly

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Processing 7D files

why dont you post your before and after shot, with specifics (full exif data) and we can give you an opinion.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Processing 7D files

michael kilner wrote:
when I use high ISO on my 7D I overexpose then then bring it back in PP,this reduces noise levels significantly

Overexposure does seem to help a lot, not blown out overexposure but some.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Processing 7D files

Here is a good thread on the subject.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM
marino420td
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Processing 7D files

Jeff, thanks for that thread. That's exactly what I'm looking for. The 100% crop of your pigeon head is exactly what I'm experiencing. I will shoot a baseball (or soccer or basketball) player, blow it up on my monitor and see no detail in the eye. Then I browse the Sports Forum and see countless similar shots where the eye looks like a glass marble. When I get a few more minutes, I'll post an example.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Processing 7D files

michael kilner wrote:

Yup. I can't stress this enough. I don't overexpose personally, but the idea is the same ... You must have a well lit picture to eliminate noise.

Feb 20, 2012 at 03:42 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Processing 7D files

I don't think I do a whole lot differently either, but I would like to improve my high ISO processing, since I'm at 4000 and above a lot during hockey season.

Right now I typically shoot jpg, Neutral Picture Style, Standard high ISO noise reduction. I run those jpg's through Neat Image allowing NI to auto profile each image, and standard defaults. Then it's curves, shadow/highlight, bump the saturation, and Smart Sharpen at 250/0.8

I'm pretty happy with these images, although as I blow them up the faces get kind of soft. I've tried shooting RAW and using the NR in ACR, but I just can't get those resulting jpg's anywhere close to the quality of the jpg's I'm getting out of the camera.

Check out this long thread by TeamSpeed. I haven't studied this yet, but I think there is a lot of valuable info in it:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1079217

Mark

Feb 20, 2012 at 05:47 PM
marino420td
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Processing 7D files

Well I was able to take my 7D out today and shoot with my new (to me) 300 F2.8 L. I'm impressed. Maybe my 70-200 has a focus issue because I could rarely get really sharp photos. With this camera/lens combo I am very pleased.

Here is a sample shot. I don't know what happened to the color when I uploaded to Flickr. But this is to show sharpness, not color

http://flic.kr/p/bxs23K

and a 100% crop

http://flic.kr/p/bxs1qe

I still have a lot to learn as far as processing goes.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.