Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

irish-george
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Does anyone know if AA batteries are readily available in Ireland? My daughter is going and I'm trying to figure out what might be useful for her to borrow from me.

(Yeah, I know, but my handle is based on background, not where I'm living...)

Feb 19, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

AA batteries are available just about anywhere.
In know Europe may seem backward but come on we are at least in the 21st century

Feb 19, 2012 at 01:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Eneloops and a charger would be a better choice for most devices.

EBH

Feb 19, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

EB-1 wrote:
Eneloops and a charger would be a better choice for most devices.

EBH

I didnt say we had that new fangled electricity in Europe

Feb 19, 2012 at 01:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

Primary AAs are literally almost everywhere, at least the 7 continents I visit. You cannot always find sugar-free cola, but AAs are not a problem.

EBH

Feb 19, 2012 at 02:07 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Made me laugh, but its a bit insulting to ask if AA batteries are available in Ireland. Is there anywhere in the Western world you can't buy such a basic battery?

Feb 19, 2012 at 02:59 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

Europe has that old-fangled stuff? It's incompatible with the new stuff? Are the electrons a different shape and won't fit new devices?

Feb 19, 2012 at 03:15 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

As Ian suggests, Ireland – like most of Europe – lacks a national power grid. In fact, the last time I was there the Irish used AA batteries for nearly all their electric requirements. So, yer in luck!

Your daughter should do the Ring of Kerry if she's wondering what to see. It's perhaps the Ireland people imagine when they hear the word. A proper landscape photographer would do the place justice, but here's a taster:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/656/kerry1z.jpg

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2720/kerry2.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9022/kerry3h.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/198/kerry4.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7636/kerry5.jpg

Feb 19, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

pr4photos wrote:
Made me laugh, but its a bit insulting to ask if AA batteries are available in Ireland. Is there anywhere in the Western world you can't buy such a basic battery?

I think it's insulting to say that anywhere in the western world... Frankly, anywhere in the world excepting perhaps Antarctica you should be able to find AA and AAA batteries.

Feb 19, 2012 at 04:03 PM

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

S Dilworth wrote:
As Ian suggests, Ireland – like most of Europe – lacks a national power grid. In fact, the last time I was there the Irish used AA batteries for nearly all their electric requirements. So, yer in luck!

that also seems a strange comment. i cannot imagine cooking a sunday roast dinner using just AA batts

Feb 19, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

well, there's usually a very good way of figuring out if something is available in any given country, so..... Try This

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:11 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

parsons wrote:
that also seems a strange comment. i cannot imagine cooking a sunday roast dinner using just AA batts

Somehow those bogtrotters manage it, parsons, though it's true you're more likely to see them tucking into a cold ploughman's than a roast dinner when they finally put down their spades. You must understand that fending off leprechauns is a full-time job in Ireland, so one daren't get too cosy on a Sunday afternoon. Sunday roast? At best a well-heeled peat digger might pop out to the local for a pint of the black stuff and a bit of craic by the turf fire.

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:20 PM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

You guys be funny

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:30 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

thank you for making my day gents !!!

Feb 19, 2012 at 06:03 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

pr4photos wrote:

Why? The intent wasn't to infer "backwardness" but a question that relates more to current environmental laws...I was asking about plain, old, disposable alkaline batteries (she's not one to be futzing around with socket adapters and selecting the correct voltage). Come over here and try to buy an ordinary incandescent light bulb...

Feb 19, 2012 at 06:50 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

irish-george wrote:
Come over here and try to buy an ordinary incandescent light bulb...

Ditto. Damn my kitchen is so dark now I can't buy real bulbs !

Feb 19, 2012 at 06:52 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Dave_EP wrote:
well, there's usually a very good way of figuring out if something is available in any given country, so..... Try This

Useless...I know I can get them at an electronics distributor (Farnell) in Ireland, but she wouldn't be going to electronics distributors. I had previously looked up both of Ireland's two main supermarket chains and searched their websites and came up empty. I know that they are OBTAINABLE over there, I merely wanted to know if they were EASILY OBTAINABLE.

Feb 19, 2012 at 06:56 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

S Dilworth wrote:

Your daughter should do the Ring of Kerry if she's wondering what to see. It's perhaps the Ireland people imagine when they hear the word. A proper landscape photographer would do the place justice, but here's a taster:

Thank you for the suggestions. I was reminded of the gorgeous scenery just last evening when we (re)watched the movie, "Leap Year." Yes, that gave me pause...she is 21, going to visit her boyfriend, and will be there over Feb. 29th. I think he has planned all sorts of Irish experiences for her (he likes to avoid things he considers "touristy").

Feb 19, 2012 at 07:01 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

Dave_EP wrote:
Ditto. Damn my kitchen is so dark now I can't buy real bulbs !

There IS a solution and you won't like it any more than I did ($250 worth of CREE LED bulbs, THEY are bright and instant on).

Feb 19, 2012 at 07:04 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · LR6 (AA alkaline) availability...

irish-george wrote:
Useless...I know I can get them at an electronics distributor (Farnell) in Ireland, but she wouldn't be going to electronics distributors. I had previously looked up both of Ireland's two main supermarket chains and searched their websites and came up empty. I know that they are OBTAINABLE over there, I merely wanted to know if they were EASILY OBTAINABLE.

clearly you didn't read down the page - or recognise the high street brands..... maybe you need another google

Feb 19, 2012 at 07:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.