New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

I have a 1ds on route to me. I have a firewire card in one of my pc`s running XP. Looking at the pdf instructions for the 1ds there are some features that can only be set/changed while the camera is connected. (I had an original 1ds when they first came out) I seem to recollect a few problems connecting the camera via firewire unlike the later Canon cameras that use USB. If the camera has had some features set via firewire will I need to 100% connect via firewire to reset or can you do a reset without being connected? and apart from your actual name what are the other features that can only be set whilst connected.

Many Thanks for any help

Dave

Feb 18, 2012 at 09:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

You need FW connection to change user namer and the Personal Functions. Download the manil to see what the PFs are compared to custom functions in that body. Most PFs can be turned on/off in the camera once the options are set, so most likely you will not need to conect the FW cable to make changes very often. I recall only doing that twice in the while time I owned the 1Ds.

EBH

Feb 18, 2012 at 09:38 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

Thanks EB

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

I`m not sure if there are any disks with the camera. If I download all the latest software from the Canon site onto the pc with XP and firewire ports in readiness then I should be able to connect the camera? Yes?

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

You're probably better off downloading the software and drivers that were contemporary to the camera. I can still get that stuff from Canon Canada.

1Ds http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/serviceDetail?m=load&id=45&sid=7&mid=2000286&type=D&opt=1

1DsII http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/serviceDetail?m=load&id=45&sid=7&mid=0002200123&type=D&opt=1

You have to 'select your operating system' in the dialog box at the top of the list before the drivers will be listed.

Feb 19, 2012 at 06:36 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

Firewire support has been dropped in the newer Canon utility versions, so grab a older one.

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:15 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

scalesusa wrote:
Firewire support has been dropped in the newer Canon utility versions, so grab a older one.

I thought the later updates still contained all the old stuff?

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:16 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

I must have downloaded every file for the 1DS from every country and still can`t get the EOS utility to recognise it

The camera came with everything but the disks. If there is anyone in the UK that might be able to copy the original disks for me I`d be very grateful. I remember how hard I found it even when new to log onto the pc.

How about this then, the camera is the very one that I purchased when the 1DS first came out
I`m surprised, it is still in very good condition and feels just like new. I changed the screen to the split centre image and I think it is brighter than the original. I`m going from memory but if I`m not mistaken the sound when it fires is a lot more of a pleasing sound than the mk2 and 3.

I need to get into the camera to change the user name if nothing else.

Thanks

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

Dave , 1 quick question. Are you running XP 32bit or 64bit?
if its 64bit that may be the issue.

Feb 22, 2012 at 02:58 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

if it's of any help, I use a firewire to usb adaptor (at the laptop end) and it works fine (vista 32 bit).
one thing I forget at every attempt it that it will take at least(!) a few minutes for my laptop to recognize the camera.

1d,1ds,1ds2

hth

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:04 PM
threemilesfina
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

gpop wrote:
if it's of any help, I use a firewire to usb adaptor (at the laptop end) and it works fine (vista 32 bit).
one thing I forget at every attempt it that it will take at least(!) a few minutes for my laptop to recognize the camera.

1d,1ds,1ds2

hth

I was looking for a USB-Firewire for my Laptop so I could get at the P.Fn on my 1Ds MK I as well... where'd you find that at?

Feb 22, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

How about one of these for Vista 32 bit ...

USB To Firewire iEEE 1394 4 Pin

Quite a few USB To Firewire iEEE 1394 4 Pin cables here

Feb 22, 2012 at 04:59 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

threemilesfina wrote:
I was looking for a USB-Firewire for my Laptop so I could get at the P.Fn on my 1Ds MK I as well... where'd you find that at?

it was part of a $4.00 attachment/ laptop kit. nothing special at all.
it goes from the larger firewire style (male) to plain old usb (male).

I didn't think it would work, and tried a number of times and gave up.
one day I was distracted by something else while I was attempting to get the thing going and it just sat there for a while (3-5 minutes). after that it worked.
now I have to remember to wait each time I attach it. that could be just my laptop, donno.

edit: for what it's worth, the firewire port on my laptop has never worked for any camera body I own. but I've never tested that port on any other device.

Feb 22, 2012 at 06:26 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Dave , 1 quick question. Are you running XP 32bit or 64bit?
if its 64bit that may be the issue.

I`m trying on my 32bit pc. I do have a 64bit xp pc(for imaging) and that won`t allow EOS utility to even load.

Feb 22, 2012 at 07:14 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

I have a PMCIA fire wire adapter on route so that I can try it on our two laptops running XP 32 bit as well.

The original firewire cable is a 6 connector type. An old laptop I have has the 4 connector s400 connection so maybe that will work. The last person to own this camera has his name and phone number in the camera, I phoned tonight but he was out so I`ll ring in the morning to see if maybe he has still got the original disks.

It doesn`t surprise me though because it was always a problem before. I`ve had a tiring day trying to get the thing working so might be missing something but it looks like some things are turned on in the P functions because the camera was set to silent mode and I changed it back to normal in C functions. To be quite honest the P functions are a bit confusing and was a silly way of setting things up. Everything I need is working fine really but I would like my name embedded in the camera if poss.

I must be able to get a copy of those disks from somewhere. I`ll maybe put out a plea on DPreview if I don`t get anywhere.

Thanks all for coming back.

Out of interest I noticed when looking through some old images from the 1ds that using alternative lenses certainly didn`t give as much advantage as it did with the mk2 and mk3 and looking at images taken with the 17-40 they were really very good which I suppose is to be expected with 11 million pixels really. The lcd is as uninspiring as I remember but the write speed is faster than I remember mainly I suppose because I`m using the later Sandisk CF cards as opposed to microdrives.
Whatever, I`m sure to enjoy the camera after that really lovely view through the finder which did surprise me after almost 10 years from launch.

Feb 22, 2012 at 07:42 PM
threemilesfina
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

gpop wrote:
it was part of a $4.00 attachment/ laptop kit. nothing special at all.
it goes from the larger firewire style (male) to plain old usb (male).

I didn't think it would work, and tried a number of times and gave up.
one day I was distracted by something else while I was attempting to get the thing going and it just sat there for a while (3-5 minutes). after that it worked.
now I have to remember to wait each time I attach it. that could be just my laptop, donno.

edit: for what it's worth, the firewire port on my laptop has never worked
...Show more

Oh okay. I'll keep that in mind. It's almost enough motivation to get me to replace my old Laptop with a Mac.

Depp: Thanks for the link! Going to have to buy one of those.

Feb 23, 2012 at 07:42 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

I`ve done it!!! remember I said I had a PCMCIA firewire adapter on route? well, it arrived today. I used my old XP laptop( the one I used to use in my small studio with my mk2ds/3ds) I loaded the oldest Canon software I had ( from a previous 20D) I then went onto the UK Canon site and noticed the 1ds was back on the list near the top of the EOS cameras. I updated the software I had just loaded and then on page 2 I noticed the WIA drivers( they weren`t their the other day, wonder if Canon reads our forums) I downloaded the first one K5107en.exe and booted the camera through the new belkin triple fire wire reader (£5.99 delivered on E bay) and up popped EOS Utility, took me a while to remember how to get into name change etc but it all worked.

Thanks all for advice maybe now I can get out and do some testing

Dave

Feb 23, 2012 at 09:04 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

Congratulations on your success and perseverance!

I wish Canon had made the process easier. I have two 1D2's and a 1Ds2 that I would like to update or use a Personal Function or two, but it's not going to happen with my Win 7 (64) machine. Bummer that it can't be updated through the memory card or something.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

Can`t believe how good my old 28-135 is on the camera.

I read somewhere that when using Contax lens adapter on the 1ds you have to fix the small switch that is in the lens throat at about 10 o`clock to stop it making contact. Well I`ve been trying my Contax and Leica lenses and they all seem to work OK without touching that switch

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM
borno
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Firewire and the 1ds advice/questions

dave chilvers wrote:
Can`t believe how good my old 28-135 is on the camera.

I read somewhere that when using Contax lens adapter on the 1ds you have to fix the small switch that is in the lens throat at about 10 o`clock to stop it making contact. Well I`ve been trying my Contax and Leica lenses and they all seem to work OK without touching that switch

I have an AF confirm adapter (PK mount) and it wouldn't work the AF light on my 1dsii until I soldered a little extra on the flange to contact the switch for anyone that has run into that situation, 1ds is probably the same. I don't really need it with the ec-b split screen I put in now though.

Feb 23, 2012 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.