Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · High ISO College Wrestling

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · High ISO College Wrestling

I covered the match between the two cross town rivals. On a side note this had to be the quickest match I have even seen. It started at 7:05 and was done at 8:15 with only one forfeit and zero pins. Wish HS was that quick....

Anyway I started with a flash on the first two but then I wasn't liking it too much so I took it off. My ISO ranged from 6400 to 10000 through the match but I stayed around 6400 for the most part.

I think there was only about 8 lights that were one and they were the cycling type. Also....whoever invented yellow wrestling mats should be institutionalized.....just saying.

Thanks for Looking
Frank

Feb 18, 2012 at 09:37 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · High ISO College Wrestling

Last set...

#7 - Same guys as in #8 but the kid in red was inked up pretty nice and I liked his TaT.

Feb 18, 2012 at 09:41 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #3 · High ISO College Wrestling

Frank,
For what it's worth, (or as you PA and NY guys say) Not for nothin' but I prefer the first 2 images. The WB is way off on the last 6 and the noise and motion blur is distracting to my eye and takes away from the image. Once again, if these were taken for the paper, they are most likely fine, but if I were using them as a reference for my work, or these were prints for sale, I would go with strobes or flash.

Billy-

Feb 18, 2012 at 03:04 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #4 · High ISO College Wrestling

Tough sport to shoot. (Ranks right there with VB.) I think the reason Billy likes the first two is that the mat is NOT real visible in either shot. Whoever invented yellow mats should be hunted down castrated and then blinded. (And yeah, cut his hands off too.) #8 utterly illustrates the problem. Decent action, but the yellow makes both guys look like they're in the last stages of jaundice. <sarcasm on> Just love the yellow glow on the ref in #5 </sarcasm off>.

I think you did pretty good considering and am not sure flash would have made much difference. Did you play with WB in post?

Robert

Like how you focused/cropped down to eliminate the ref from most shots.

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:41 AM
DizzelDel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · High ISO College Wrestling

nice to see a fellow fm'er from wilkes barre.

Feb 19, 2012 at 05:45 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · High ISO College Wrestling

Personally, I like the first two as well. Why did you prefer shooting without flashes?

OntheRez, the mat is very visible in the second shot, but because of the angle of the flash, it's effect is minimized.

I'd say one possibility would be to use directional and bounced flash. This gives you the contrast and clarity of a directional light, but the bounce will fill in the shadows a little, giving you a slightly flatter dynamic range. Directional would be much lower power than the bounce, but it would drive the contrast.

You can also mix in ambient, though phased lighting, and crappy exposure values for ambient, plus the need for specialized equipment (high speed sync compatible hotshoe flashes, ttl compatible wireless tx/rx units) can be a hassle, but the payoff is the need for a smaller lighter kit, and not as much output power since you're combining exposures with ambient, not completely overpowering them.

Just some thoughts

Feb 19, 2012 at 06:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #7 · High ISO College Wrestling

Thanks everyone....I appreciate the feedback and looks.

Billy....these were for the paper. If I was doing for sales I would strobe but in this case, not worth the time to set up for the time I was there.

Robert the yellow at was very overpowering here plus the fact the lighting was minimal and because they cycled....every shot was a different color....mostly with a yellow tint. I did not do any WB adjustment in PS.

DizzelDel...I'm always looking for any locals here on FM. Shoot me a PM with some specifics on where you are from exactly and where and what you mostly shoot.

Max - I was using the flash like I normally do for wrestling (flash head at a 50-60 degree angle with the white diffuser out) where I normally got good results. In this case I was getting more than normal "red eye".

Thanks again
Frank

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #8 · High ISO College Wrestling

Frank,

From a pure exposure point of view, the first two are great.

From a wrestling point of view, great timing on the first one (getting a double leg can be hard sometimes which as quick of a shot it is).

The second shot would benefit from you being lower, but it looks like you caught the top man in the middle of switching from an arm bar to a half nelson (or vice versa, or to a power half) and it's just not clear here.

Feb 20, 2012 at 02:15 AM
gadget_

p.1 #9 · High ISO College Wrestling

I would have stuck with the flash, but gone to a higher ISO, so the flash lighting is less obvious. Still nice photos. Good timing.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #10 · High ISO College Wrestling

I hate shooting wrestling. WB is a killer.

I like Shot #2

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM
KathleenMartin
• •
p.1 #11 · High ISO College Wrestling

I have to agree with the others regarding the first two - I like those best.

When I first started shooting wrestling this season, I was having a difficult time with my flash & decided to go high ISO instead. A fellow photographer who was coaching stopped by and made a couple recommendations re: the flash. He's a wedding photographer & deals with terrible light at receptions. He had me set my flash on rear shutter curtain and dialed it back to between -1/3 & -2/3.

What a huge difference that has made. My ISO's are now around 1600 and the flash is stopping the action. It wouldn't work with a fast moving situation like volleyball but with wrestling, things are relatively slow moving & it does well.

By the way, the guy who invented red mats should also be smacked around. That and all-white singlets. There are no words to describe how bad those things look...

Feb 21, 2012 at 07:37 PM
DizzelDel
• • •
p.1 #12 · High ISO College Wrestling

how long have you been with the voice? is this a new gig?

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password